2010 Team Tournament Tryouts

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

2010 Team Tournament Tryouts

Postby Like_Water » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:48 pm

After much debate and counseling, I'm happy to announce the tryouts for the 2010 Team Event in Cedar Rapids, on April 3rd.

First things first, I am seeking enough players for at least 2 teams. We will form a third if there is interest. I hope everyone who is interested even in the slightest will tryout for this event.

The following players are locked and will not have to tryout.

Tanner Duncan
Ernie Westmark
Jason Duden
Eddie McCulley (master)
Steve Whitson
Justin McCluen

This leaves 14 spots, including 2 female and 1 masters spot left to fill (based on 2 teams). I would love to take 3 teams.

I will take the lowest scores from the tryout and guarantee those people a spot on a team. Teams will be selected by each teams captain.

On or before March 28th. Ewing Park, long tees, NO OB

You have 2 rounds to post your lowest score. You will need to play with at least 2 other people on your card to verify your score. I may or may not be able to attend on March 28th, but I trust that people will act with honor and not cheat, as you will be cheating your entire DG community here in Des Moines.

You are obligated to get me your score along with the names of the two (or more) witnesses by March 29th.

Do not tryout if you can't play on April 3rd.

Do not tryout if you will have a problem with what team you're selected to be on.

I'm looking forward to bringing this tournament back to Des Moines after being so close last year.
Last edited by Like_Water on Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby GaW27166 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:19 pm

So why is this at Ewing? Jones is a short course and Ewing is not even close. Not bitching, just curious. I will be there regardless.
GaW27166

Postby Buzzznation » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:23 pm

GaW27166 wrote:So why is this at Ewing? Jones is a short course and Ewing is not even close. Not bitching, just curious. I will be there regardless.

What he's trying to say is he can throw thumbers all day at Jones, at Ewing he can't.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby GaW27166 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:26 pm

Buzzznation wrote:
GaW27166 wrote:So why is this at Ewing? Jones is a short course and Ewing is not even close. Not bitching, just curious. I will be there regardless.

What he's trying to say is he can throw thumbers all day at Jones, at Ewing he can't.

I dont know what those are.
GaW27166

Postby SpikeHyzer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:27 pm

Have fun everybody...
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby rightcunnin » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:14 pm

I'm off this weekend if anyone wants to go play on Saturday. I will be out of town from 3/23 - 3/29 so I'm trying to do my rounds early. Also, I'm playing for the other Masters spot if there are any other Masters potentials that want to come out.
I'm sorry that the middle of my sentence interrupted the beginning of yours.
rightcunnin

Location: further out of my f-in mind than previously thought.

Postby Clue » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:35 pm

rightcunnin wrote:I'm off this weekend if anyone wants to go play on Saturday. I will be out of town from 3/23 - 3/29 so I'm trying to do my rounds early. Also, I'm playing for the other Masters spot if there are any other Masters potentials that want to come out.

Walsh, you're actually valuable in the sense that you could potentially play in 3 different positions. Let Tanner figure that out. I know it was kind of tough deciding on whether you or Innis would be better suited in another spot last year.
Clue

Re: 2010 Team Tournament Tryouts

Postby Clue » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:46 pm

Tanner, thanks for grabbing the reigns on this, and thanks for the exemption. I really like the idea of the rolling tryout.

I probably won't be playing any too soon, but if it starts to thaw a little more in the next few weeks keep me in mind if anyone needs to fill out a group to qualify.

I initially balked at the idea of Ewing longs at first too, but I think it's a fair test because many of the approach shots are very similar to the holes at Jones and it also puts some premium on holding it together on a longer course.
Clue

Postby rightcunnin » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:55 pm

Clue wrote:
rightcunnin wrote:I'm off this weekend if anyone wants to go play on Saturday. I will be out of town from 3/23 - 3/29 so I'm trying to do my rounds early. Also, I'm playing for the other Masters spot if there are any other Masters potentials that want to come out.

Walsh, you're actually valuable in the sense that you could potentially play in 3 different positions. Let Tanner figure that out. I know it was kind of tough deciding on whether you or Innis would be better suited in another spot last year.

I have a feeling I'll be most competitive in Masters but honestly, I'll play in whatever division, on whatever team. I've got the 3rd of from work so I'm 100% in
I'm sorry that the middle of my sentence interrupted the beginning of yours.
rightcunnin

Location: further out of my f-in mind than previously thought.

Re: 2010 Team Tournament Tryouts

Postby GaW27166 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:49 am

Clue wrote:I initially balked at the idea of Ewing longs at first too, but I think it's a fair test because many of the approach shots are very similar to the holes at Jones and it also puts some premium on holding it together on a longer course.

I just think its a bad course to do with all this snow on the ground. I can tell you I am waiting till I get back from Fla on the 24th to even think about trying out. Weather depending after that I suppose.
GaW27166

Postby Like_Water » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:52 pm

I absolutely hate using a single stroke play round for a tryout. So, I said best of two on the toughest course in the city.

Ideally, tryouts would be over a week where I setup a double elimination match play tournament to determine players...then the results would be a true assessment and valid for placement. Can't believe I'm almost 32 and still an idealist.
Like_Water

Postby Single L » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:06 pm

Discwrangler wrote:I absolutely hate using a single stroke play round for a tryout. So, I said best of two on the toughest course in the city.

Ideally, tryouts would be over a week where I setup a double elimination match play tournament to determine players...then the results would be a true assessment and valid for placement. Can't believe I'm almost 32 and still an idealist.

How would you get this to work?? In theory it sounds great because the tryout is the same format as the tournament, but in actuality it isn't really a fair assessment of a player’s ability. Double elimination wouldn't work because you are basing parings on luck of the draw; a potential #8 seed on the team could have both their matches against #4 seed players, or a #4 seed playing a #1 and #2 seed; in turn they loose and don't make the team. In order for this not to happen you would have to pit similar skill level players to together and have them face off (which ironically would be based on your knowledge of their past stroke play performance). You now have another problem, you are then telling players how good they are, they could be better, they could be worse. So to eliminate both issues everyone would have to play everyone. So if you had 20 - 30 players trying out it would take a long ass time to sort out. In the end Stroke play is much easier and a more realistic means to an end.

Just playing Devil's advocate ...... Can't believe I'm almost 28 and already a realist :lol:
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Like_Water » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:10 pm

porkchop wrote:How would you get this to work?? In theory it sounds great because the tryout is the same format as the tournament....In the end Stroke play is much easier and a more realistic means to an end.

of course. :roll:
Like_Water

Postby Single L » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:52 pm

I’m really not opposed to a match play tryout as long as it will work and is fair to all. If you can pull that rabbit out of your hat than more power to ya.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Like_Water » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:57 pm

porkchop wrote:I’m really not opposed to a match play tryout as long as it will work and is fair to all. If you can pull that rabbit out of your hat than more power to ya.

It would be the most fair...but I would need a rabbit.
Like_Water

Next

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club