Quitting Smoking Cigs?

Let us know what you want to see on the forum, or on the main website.

Quitting Smoking Cigs?

Postby Ferch » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:22 pm

I was just wondering if anyone on here has successfully quit smoking using the Commit lazenges. I got a few cases and they taste like minty chew, but I guess its better than nothing at all. I have been smoking cigs for about 16 years and I am sick of it. If anyone has any info on what helped them I would appreciate it. :twisted:
Ferch

Postby anubis080 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:30 pm

I told all of my friends to punch me in the chest if they ever saw me smoking; that settled it quick lol. Create a negative association with it.
"he always flips his nuke ss's over forehand"-Rich
"those are regular z nukes, Rich..."-Andy
anubis080

Postby SARG27044 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:35 pm

Dont buy anymore.... :roll: :wink:
SARG27044

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:51 pm

lol, it ain't that easy sergio.

I've tried to quit a few times myself....and failed. It think that whatever you use, whether it be the commit losenges, patch, nicorette, it will work as long as your mind-set is correct and you take subsequent steps to keep that mindset...something I've failed at every time I try to quit.

If you're anything like me, you have days when you really want to quit, and then some days you just don't give a shit. The problem is, once you decide that you want to quit, you have to perpetuate those anti-smoking feelings that you have when you really want to quit. It's mostly mental, getting over the psycholigical dependence. The physical dependence sucks, but you can get through the withdrawl symptoms in less than 2 weeks for the most part. You really just have to keep a positive attitude about it, especially on those days after you've made it a month or so and you find yourself thinking you really want one. That's where I've failed.....pretty much every time.

I've heard Chantix works pretty darn well too, but even still, there are support programs that help you through the every day shit, which is the psychological dependency that is just so hard to break.

One of the things I always do, when I want to quit, to motivate myself is I calculate how much I'm spending on cigs in a week, multiply that out to a monthly and annual expense and focus on all that money I'm saving...Pretty eye-opening.

Now if I can just practice what I preach. :oops:
GDL17921

Postby bergdawg » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:53 pm

My friend uses Chantix. He says it just makes him forget that he smokes and he doesn't think about it. Although, they marketed it as an anti-depressant before they realized it worked better as a quit smoking aid.
"I'm so tough I wipe my ass with sandpaper."
bergdawg

Postby IHearChains » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:38 pm

GDL5000 wrote:The problem is, once you decide that you want to quit, you have to perpetuate those anti-smoking feelings that you have when you really want to quit. It's mostly mental, getting over the psycholigical dependence. The physical dependence sucks, but you can get through the withdrawl symptoms in less than 2 weeks for the most part. You really just have to keep a positive attitude about it, especially on those days after you've made it a month or so and you find yourself thinking you really want one.

The other day a guy was telling me that he and his buddy made a bet with each other, and the bet went up a dollar for each day they could go without smoking, so the stakes got higher the longer they went without. He said it was really effective, they both quit for good, because the level of motivation went up along with the amount of the bet. Eventually it got to the point there was no way they would ever be able to pay up if they lost the bet. That was a long time ago. Maybe now $5 a day would work better.
IHearChains

Postby anubis080 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:50 pm

Has anyone tried the E-Cigarettes? some might call them the smokeless cigarettes.
anubis080

Postby iowapat » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:57 pm

Chantix...

haven't wanted a cig in over two years
This gun will not reload, cuz bitch I got extendos...
iowapat

Postby gretagun » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:10 pm

I had been a smoker for over 10 years, but I quit about a year and 2 months ago, cold turkey. It sounds stupid, but for me I wanted to quit before I turned 30, so a month before my birthday I had my last cigarette. It was probably one of the hardest things that I had ever done, but also one of the most rewarding.

One thing that helped was trying to think of the bad memories I had when I used to smoke. This was usually that first cigarette of the day when I was terribly hungover or had partied too much the night before. It always made me feel worse, yet I had to have one. Another thing is not bumming any cigarettes from your friends. Usually having "just one" turned into 3 or 4, which then led to buying a pack for the weekend which then led to........ well you get the point. Similar to IHearChains story, it became a personal contest or streak. If you have just one then the streak is over and you have to start all over. I still have dreams where I smoked and broke that streak. Luckily they aren't real, but I hope those stop someday. :evil:

I also know several people who have successfully quit with Chantix. I would definitely recommend looking into it.

Keep at it man. Like I said, I have tried countless times to quit and this last time finally worked.
"Got to sinking in the place where I once stood.
Now I ain't living like I should"
gretagun

Postby Grimm » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:17 pm

gretagun wrote:This was usually that first cigarette of the day when I was terribly hungover or had partied too much the night before. It always made me feel worse, yet I had to have one.

That's because you should of had a beer with that smoke.
Grimm

Postby anubis080 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:30 pm

So, no one has really asked it, but what drives you to smoke?
anubis080

Postby Clue » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:32 pm

I've said this many times, I used to laugh at people who couldn't quit smoking until I tried to quit drinking Mt Dew. It's about habit on so many levels. There are mornings I don't even want a Dew, but I grab one or buy one anyway because I always do. One of the improvements I've made is to buy the 12oz plastic bottles. This does 2 things, it keeps me away from the 20-24oz bottles and I can reseal it so I don't feel like I have to finish it like I would a can. I've at least cut down to 2/day at the most, but I'd like to quit altogether.

There's 2 things at work, the habit and the need. Even if I replaced the Dew with water or anything else, I'd still have to deal with the perceived need for caffeine. I really can't even imagine trying to quit smoking. I think I could greatly reduce my smoking, but quitting altogether would be really tough.

Just out of curiosity, can you smokers smell how bad you stink? I had a girl who worked for me that would go outside to smoke. She would only smoke about half a cigarette at a time, and she stinks like all hell when she comes back inside. BTW, does anyone make small or half cigarettes? I would think they would be a huge seller.
Clue

Postby Like_Water » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:46 pm

bergdawg wrote:My friend uses Chantix. He says it just makes him forget that he smokes and he doesn't think about it. Although, they marketed it as an anti-depressant before they realized it worked better as a quit smoking aid.

That's awesome!
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Nohr » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:07 pm

Clue wrote:
Just out of curiosity, can you smokers smell how bad you stink? I had a girl who worked for me that would go outside to smoke. She would only smoke about half a cigarette at a time, and she stinks like all hell when she comes back inside. BTW, does anyone make small or half cigarettes? I would think they would be a huge seller.

They do make smaller cigarettes.

Smokers know they smell. Although they don't smell what you smell. It is like when you are at a camp fire. You don't notice that you smell but you do. Smoking is supposed to effect your taste and I bet it messes with your smell also.
Nohr

Postby Sniper26 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:09 pm

You should try getting pneumonia it worked great for me. I was so sick that I couldn't even think of taking a drag for a week. I figured that I had the hardest part out of the way so why start back up. After another week the cravings got really bad once I was able to breath again so I tried the lozenges and they helped a lot. It has been 2 years now since I have smoked and I know damn well that if I took one drag off a cig I would have a pack gone in a day. I really enjoyed smoking and don't think I could have ever quit without getting sick. If I were you I would start hanging out in doctors offices, hospitals, and grade schools in hopes of getting pneumonia.

Now all that glitters isn't gold for me, I started chewing when my son was born, we were 14 days in the natal ICU. On the bright side; they can make fake teeth and lips but they haven't figured out that fake lung thing yet.

Good luck.
Sniper26

Next

Return to Suggestions