Saint's Championship Offseason Overview

Sports related topics.

Postby Like_Water » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:20 am

10up wrote:better grab your seats on the bandwagon now. It's gonna fill up quick

Been there for a few months. Almost like they are my team.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby The Donator » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:31 pm

I dont have a favorite team, never have. Brees has been my favorite player for a few years now, sooooooooooo..... I am a Saints fan?
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby 10up » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:02 pm

you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:18 pm

10up wrote:http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3136_Saints_vs._Colts:_the_pulled_pork_of_pigskin.html

Somehow I knew the outcome of this article before I read it.
Otherwise I'm sure it wouldn't have been posted. :lol:

Good luck this weekend, I'm somewhat undecided still but may be rooting for you.
Wildcat Bluff Crew Member
Budhyzer 17696

Postby Clue » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:07 pm

Saints elect *not* to place franchise tag on D Sharp!?! Dan, please spin this for me because I don't get it.
Clue

Postby 10up » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:11 pm

a 2 or 3 year contract for 8 or 9 million makes more sense than a 1 year for 6.5.

He won't have that much interest on the open market, and the front office is interested in paying him what he is worth. Not a problem.
10up

Postby 10up » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:42 pm

Not too many things going on post-hangover in New Orleans. However, we did release Charles Grant, which, although expected, now places us in need of a starting DE.

In Gregg Williams scheme (and with our mediocre OLBs), a fast DE who can play OLB will be high on the wishlist. I bet you see Aaron Kampman in Black and Gold next year.
10up

Postby GaW27166 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:55 pm

10up wrote:Not too many things going on post-hangover in New Orleans. However, we did release Charles Grant, which, although expected, now places us in need of a starting DE.

In Gregg Williams scheme (and with our mediocre OLBs), a fast DE who can play OLB will be high on the wishlist. I bet you see Aaron Kampman in Black and Gold next year.

He has already been in Black and gold. And you will see him in Jacksonville.
GaW27166

Postby 10up » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:59 pm

yeah, really disappointed in the front office with that one. The Saints need a damn Hawkeye.

Maybe we'll pick up Spievey
10up

Postby GaW27166 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:20 pm

10up wrote:yeah, really disappointed in the front office with that one. The Saints need a damn Hawkeye.

Maybe we'll pick up Spievey

Better grab him in the first, I dont think he goes past round 2. And Bulaga is going top 10 so thats not an option. Maybe Moeaki, if he slips past round 3 someone is getting a steal if he can stay healthy.
GaW27166

Postby 10up » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:06 pm

The more I think about it, and coupled with the loss of Fujita to Cleveland, I think we might take a long hard look at Pat Angerer. His coverage skills and speed would make him an ideal candidate to challenge for a starting role on the weakside. I'd love to have him develop under Jon Vilma in the middle too.

Who knows though...

I agree, I think Spievey will go way sooner than most people think. He's easily one of the top 3 or 4 CB's in the draft. Don't be surprised if some early teams grab the top prospects in the early rounds, pass on the QBs, and Amari goes 20-32 in the 1st.
10up

Postby 10up » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:44 pm

We're #1, We're #1!!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings?year=2010&week=0

Not that we expected anything different, did we?

Well with the start of Rookie mini-camp just around the bend, it's time to step back and look at the offseason moves. The Saints, coming off of their first Super Bowl Championship, have been fairly quiet. The two main personnel losses being DE Charles Grant (good riddance) and OLB Scott Fujita. Fujita's loss presents an interesting issue, because although he wasn't the most productive LB, he did his job, every down. OLB was, in my opinion, one of our weakest places on the depth chart, and I felt confident that we would address the position in the draft. That did not happen. Oh well.

The loss of Chuckwagon Grant opened us up to pick up Alex Brown from Chicago. From what I've seen of Brown he will be an immediate improvement over Grant. Guess we have to thank the Bears for winning the Julius Peppers Lottery.

What we did address in the draft though, is something I absolutely didn't see coming. We used our 1st round pick on CB Patrick Robinson. Corner is a spot that I considered us to be pretty solid at. Starters Jabari Greer and Tracy Porter our by far the best DB tandem in the NFC South, and in the top 5 in the league. Our nickel, Randall Gay, is older, but serviceable. On top of that, we have last years 1st round pick (14 overall), Malcolm Jenkins out there as well. He showed himself to be a capable corner in a nickel package last year. We also have signed a handful of UDFA CBs, including one Rafael Priest from TCU. Last year this guy was projected as a 2nd or 3rd rounder. At the beginning of this year he was looked at as a 3rd. A foot injury mid-season knocked him off of everybody's draft board apparently. This guy is my dark horse for winning the UDFA challenge in training camp.

So what does this mean? So much Corner depth in an already strong field? More than likely it signals the end of Darren Sharpers one year tenure. He is being very public about shopping himself to other teams, in the hopes it will drive up his market value. He reportedly wants 5 million a year (he made 1.7 with the Saints last year). I don't think any team will be willing to give that to a 34 year old Safety that has a penchant for gambling and getting burned on the verts. I think we are probably looking to move CB Malcolm Jenkins into the FS position in front of backup Usama Young. Jenkins definitely has the ability to be one of the most productive safeties in the league is he takes to it.

Maybe Sharper will be back. I hope so, personally. I just don't think the Saints are going to up their offer any more than they have.

Yay Football!!
10up

Postby 10up » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:23 pm

New Orleans is looking good this summer.
10up

Postby 10up » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:22 am

10up

Postby Clue » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:51 am

Ha Ha, is everyone getting the Brett Favre Wrangler commercial as a lead in?

I was just thinking about the Saints this afternoon as the only team I like that can go blow for blow with the Patriots. Even though I'd prefer to see the Jets make it, a Pats/Saints Superbowl would be far and away the best game to watch.
Clue

Previous

Return to Sports