Club meeting 1/26/10

Moderator: peyton

Postby Single L » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:03 am

Just a word of advice about using a sports bar. We use Felix and Oscar's in DSM for our monthly meetings, we have the banquet room reserved for the second Tuesday of every month. However on occasion if another group wants the room they will give it to them over us, which forces us to use the common area of the bar. These meetings tend to be less productive and take way longer. It is very hard to keep everyone on track with all the TV's and noise and it’s very hard to communicate and control the group when topics start to drift off to personal stories and other convos. I would suggest using a facility that has a banquet room, a bar just doesn't work.
Last edited by Single L on Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:03 am

hyzerman16234 wrote:Man wouldn't a club house be nice. Who's single with a big basement?

fight club anyone?
Adding up scores after league... Greco-"Kerri, you shot 11 up" Kerri- "oh a 65 isn't bad" Greco-"that was the back nine"
3x state champ runner up

Postby gpdigity » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:10 am

i think Paddy O'Rourk's back room could work on a slow day like tues.

i know the owners name is Linn and he is a really nice guy and sponsors rugby teams, soft ball team and so on.

i could talk to him in a couple of days if others agree this location would work.

Paddy O'Rourks Bar and Grill. 608 16th St NE 319-362-0554
gpdigity

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:15 am

gpdigity wrote:i think Paddy O'Rourk's back room could work on a slow day like tues.

i know the owners name is Linn and he is a really nice guy and sponsors rugby teams, soft ball team and so on.

i could talk to him in a couple of days if others agree this location would work.

Paddy O'Rourks Bar and Grill. 608 16th St NE 319-362-0554

It couldn't hurt to get a conversation going with him; check it out and see what he can offer us.
Wildcat Bluff Crew Member
Budhyzer 17696

Postby AO » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:47 am

Deanoz may not have enough privacy. 3rd Base Brew Co. may have a spot to and it's really easy to get to. Dave from 3 Bag was players party sponsor for 2008 legion of doom.
AO

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:00 pm

I am going to make an executive decision if you all don't mind.
I am cancelling the Feb. 2nd date at the Starlight and moving it to the 16th.
We have plenty of time to discuss a different place to meet once things get a little more settled / structured.
Budhyzer 17696

Postby bkoliver » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:21 pm

Budhyzer 17696 wrote:I am going to make an executive decision if you all don't mind.

Didn't know we had a king, I thought we were an autonomus collective. I didn't vote for you. Some watery tart threw a sword at you? Help! I'm being repressed!

I think the 16th will be a good day for the meeting, if we can find another place that might be better and more stable, then we can switch when we need to.
bkoliver

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:07 pm

bkoliver wrote:
Budhyzer 17696 wrote:I am going to make an executive decision if you all don't mind.

I think the 16th will be a good day for the meeting, if we can find another place that might be better and more stable, then we can switch when we need to.

Thanks for the positive comment!
Not trying to overstep my boundries, just trying to keep things moving forward. You'll have plenty of time to vote me king. :lol:
Budhyzer 17696

Postby robizm » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:12 am

If you are still in need of space for a meeting I can ask Derek @ Bushwood's on Edgewood Rd. They have a private room with a 70 inch TV that we could use.

Find the date you agree upon and I will call and ask if that day/time is free. I may be able to get some free pizza wings and drinks. Just let me know which day to ask for and time of day .

*edit* I see the 16th is out there, I will call him Monday if I don't see him on Saturday

-Rob
Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
pdga#: 17020 IQ: 47 quote: "Weather forecast for tonight : dark"
robizm

Postby hyzerman16234 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:09 pm

robizm wrote:If you are still in need of space for a meeting I can ask Derek @ Bushwood's on Edgewood Rd. They have a private room with a 70 inch TV that we could use.

Find the date you agree upon and I will call and ask if that day/time is free. I may be able to get some free pizza wings and drinks. Just let me know which day to ask for and time of day .

*edit* I see the 16th is out there, I will call him Monday if I don't see him on Saturday

-Rob

Sounds like a good place. I live close.
hyzerman16234

Postby robizm » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:36 pm

Ok, spoke to Derek Walton he's the manager @ Bushwood's on Edgewood. He is super pumped to have us on the 16th, he said he organized some intramural disc golf teams and played in the Legion tourney in the intermediate division a few times and supports disc golf.

I told him about 20 to 30 for the meeting but we will have our own private room there. I told him this may be a regular thing at least monthly ? He said we can use that room anytime we need it as long as it is available and he doesn't have it booked!

I will be at this meeting, even though I cannot attend the tournies and leagues like I would like to do, I want to support disc golf in this area. See you on the 16th!

-Rob
Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
pdga#: 17020 IQ: 47 quote: "Weather forecast for tonight : dark"
robizm

Postby Nohr » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:58 pm

Rob this is great thank you very much for doing that. Anyone that wants to support we should be patronizing.

I would like to second this idea of using Bushwoods on Edgewood as club house (and place of all meetings).

I would also like to throw out that we at least have a monthly meeting from here on out. 16th is the 3rd Tuesday of the month. I say we go with this. The only wrinkle I see in the plan is during 5 season league. Which we could just hold at the course ~20-30mins before we start.

I have 20 peoples names that want to get involved one way or another. Lets take a step and start discussing what you guys/gals want. We have no leadership so now is the perfect time. Everyone's word counts the same (at least until elections!!!!!!!!!!)

Edit: Lets talk about names. I feel that the current front runner name is "Eastern Iowa DGC" oh and what is this they have a logo also

Only reason I say this is the front runner is b/c they have a logo and that is all I have heard/read. Several people said they would be brainstorming on this......lets post some ideas
Nohr

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:33 am

Bushwoods is OK with me, especially with the manager in the know about DG. Thanks for the heads up, I'll cancel the Starlight reservation then. :roll:

Eastern Iowa DGC is my favorite right now but I would like to see what the others in the group have come up with.

Same goes with a logo, I had Jack Gilmore mess around with something to take to the meeting, just a rough draft but I didn't know the whole world was going to see it. :shock: :lol:
Budhyzer 17696

Postby gpdigity » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:40 am

i may ramble here but here goes.

i personally like cedar rapids disc golf club.

for these reasons.
- one of our main goals is to get in good with the city of cedar rapids so we can get more stuff done in the future and perhaps in 10 years or less be getting funds from them. i dont feel it is really that important to try to include a larger region so we dont offend say hiawaitha or marion. I do feel the more we can make our selves look like we a taking pride in cedar rapids the easier it will be for the city to warm up to us. we will not have problems with other nearby citys like marion and hiawaitha leting us do things. Yes we will help with wildcat and other courses that may come along that are outside of CR, but as far as the name goes i feel Cedar Rapids in the name is more important and may have more benifits than trying to cover a larger region in the name.
- the courses we will be focusing on will be the 7 or so closest to cedar rapids. and these will be the courses our club will eventually host tourneys at and take pride in the overall appearence.

theres my 2cents

* nice work rob thanks for lining up bushwood
gpdigity

Postby peyton » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:12 am

I disagree with the Cedar Rapids DGC name. I don't live in Cedar Rapids and don't much care for the city. So if either Marion or Hiawatha want to expand? I like the Eastern Iowa or East Central, something along that line. I don't think it should be tied to one town or another because of our different course affiliations. That's my 2 cents.
peyton

PreviousNext

Return to Cedar Rapids Club