Club meeting 1/26/10

Moderator: peyton

Club meeting 1/26/10

Postby Nohr » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:08 pm

For those who couldn't make it tonight we had around 20 people show up interested in one way or the other.

The short and sweet of the night is as follows

Next meeting in 2 weeks on tuesday location tbd
Need to come up with a name for club
Discuss elections or have elections

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please fill out and PM me the following information if you are interested. Might seem like a lot but we had 16 people fill this out already!!!!!!

Name:
Address:
City/Zip:
E-mail Address:
Phone #:
PDGA #:

What in the club do you want to get involved with?
(if more than one, please rank in order of importance to you)

(IE: course maintenance - promoting the sport - seeking new members - helping with leagues / tournaments - web site / data base - becoming a director or leader - being par of a committee - something else?)

Are there any special skills you may have that can be useful to the club? (ie: information technology/web site design - photography - construction - article writinh - accounting / financial - graphic design)
Last edited by Nohr on Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nohr

Minutes

Postby Nohr » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:11 pm

Cedar Rapids Club first meeting 1/26/10

-Main Goal should be developing a relationship with the city so we can eventually get them to do what we want

-Action to get there. Maintain courses or improvements

Promote disc golf in general - Use edge
setup a basket outside of a disc seller and have people putt (possibly for a prize)

Name Discussion
NOT wildcat
NOT 5 season
Cedar Valley ......

Figure out a name for the club

Structure of the club pretty much need the 5 positions (pres/vice p/treasurer/secretary/_____)

Problems with the city
Tennis court at jones cost $85k (one freakin court = 4 disc golf courses)

Improvements to Hiwathia Course
Footings 3 or 4 feet off the ground with a simple bridge or lattice to help with flooding on hole 16 (go from short pin placement to maybe tee pad on 17). This hole floods out not up.
Make a bridge somewhere near hole 4 to make it flow better

Legion
Crumboltz good to go
New bridge going in that is going to be ~150 feet (thats freakin huge!!!)
Legion of doom is a lot of work. Need worker bees to make it easier to execute

Palo
Zeller park can maybe be turned into a disc golf park (miller/kvn)

Van Beclan - South Side park would be sweet if there was a course there

Course info
about $500 a hole
teepad 5 X 12 = 3/4 a yard of concrete
$9k in baskets
takes about every 3 holes for trash to build up (takes 3 holes to drink a beer)

Club needs
$
Someone who knows the city ways
We can get around $
Can take a course one step at a time. Don't need concrete teepads at first. Wildcat was a temp course for years before a basket was put in
Need to get 1 discers involved. Don't ignore them talk to them or play a couple holes with them before playing though
Need workers
CAN'T MAKE THE CLUB into a league
Collect cans on the course (tons of $$) can you get deposit on crushed cans?
Everyone involved with the club needs to be an embassator (pres shouldn't go get drunk on the course)
More $ you have the more $ you raise

City Relations
Need to go to park and rec board meetings. After a couple weeks of presence find out what it would take to present.
When getting permission from the city for work get it in writting. Present names of people who will be working on certain projects. GET PERMISSION DON'T LOSE PERMISSION. When some one approaches you on what you are doing don't be confrontational. Explain nicely what we are doing. Never know cops or some other crazy crap might come out and harass you for doing work on a city course.
Would we need insurance for people working?

Fundraising Ideas
Doubles tournaments (always more $$ and draw froma doubles event over singles)
Club run a sunday league Don't tie members into an 18 week comittment(pinch off the top $1 if you aren't a member of club)
Order up discs/tee shirts (spend $10 (shirt $5 dx disc $5) membership $20 get $10).
Bake sale
Raffles
Non Sanctioned tournaments. Can setup a course at places normally that don't have courses. You should seek permission but no one can really stop you from throwing up a temp course. It is the same thing as a person going to setup a volley ball net or lawn darts.

People interested in a board role
Doug Peyton
Adam K
Dustin Nohr
Frog
Adam Stiers
Kelly
Rimmy
Last edited by Nohr on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nohr

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:37 am

Dustin can you put the membership info into a spreadsheet to view at the next meeting?
It would be great to pool or match up similar interested club members into club activities or segments.
Wildcat Bluff Crew Member
Budhyzer 17696

Re: Minutes

Postby Single L » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:52 am

Great work guys .... things are looking promising for ya'll ...... here's some thoughts .....

Nohr wrote:Cedar Rapids Club first meeting 1/26/10

-Main Goal should be developing a relationship with the city so we can eventually get them to do what we want

-Action to get there. Maintain courses or improvements

- Promote disc golf in general

These are great goals, I would keep them at that and hold off on further growth, like courses, until you establish a stronghold on or meet these goals

Name Discussion
NOT wildcat
NOT 5 season
Cedar Valley ......

Figure out a name for the club

The Cedar Valley is synonymous with the Cedar Falls / Waterloo Area, I would stay away from that name ..... Maybe just the Cedar Rapids Disc Golf Club or Cedar River Disc Golf Club, Cedar Rapids (or River Disc Golf Union, Cedar Rapids (or River) Frisbee Association (or Club), Cedar Rapids (or River) Disc Golfers Association, Cedar Rapids (or River) Flying Disc Club, Cedar Rapids (or River) Flyerz (or Flyers), Eastern Iowa Disc Golf Club ........ or The City of Five Smells Disc Golf Club :lol:

Structure of the club pretty much need the 5 positions (pres/vice p/treasurer/secretary/_____)
For your 5th position I would go with either a Course Director or a Publicity Director, depending on what your number one goal is. With a Course Director this person would guide & spearhead the course improvements and maintenance tasks, the rest of the board would have the tasks of spreading the word and making the Club more visible. If you go the Publicity Director route, this person would be the one who spearheads the marketing of the club and promoting involvement, the rest of the board would take on the task of directing course work. I would go the Publicity Director route as marketing the club and spreading the word will be the most important thing in the beginning. From what I've read your clubs main goal is to gain a better reputation with the parks departments and to take better care of your courses. Seeing how this is going to be a board wide task I don't see a great need for a Course Director at this point as you all will have your hands in it.

Palo
- Zeller park can maybe be turned into a disc golf park (miller/kvn)

Van Beclan
- South Side park would be sweet if there was a course there

It actually Van Vechten Park ..... and yes it would be a great park for a course ...... but I would hold off on future expansion until current club goals are met.

Club needs
- CAN'T MAKE THE CLUB into a league
Why not have the Club run the league .... it’s a great way to promote membership and generate interest, as well as offering another revenue source.

People interested in a board role
Doug Peyton
Adam K
Dustin Nohr
Frog
Adam Stiers
Kelly
Rimmy

Congrats to all on engaging in this endeavor .... it will be a fun and hopefully fulfilling journey
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Nohr » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:52 am

Budhyzer 17696 wrote:Dustin can you put the membership info into a spreadsheet to view at the next meeting?
It would be great to pool or match up similar interested club members into club activities or segments.

check out

Did you know we had a rubix cube champion!!!!!
Last edited by Nohr on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nohr

Postby Single L » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:42 pm

Dustin ....... I would suggest that you remove this link. It's probably best that you keep all that info in house. It should be for Club use only, not for the entire IowaDG board to see. I know I wouldn't want the world knowing all my personal info like Phone, E-mail, and address without my consent.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Detra319 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:47 pm

I also agree with that. Im down for some people to have my info, but not everything out there.
Detra319

Postby Nohr » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:59 pm

Done

Edit: Changed the persmissions on the file also. So even if someone saved the link they can't look at it any more. I know privacy concerns are a huge deal. Sorry about that.

Is it fair enough to share personal information with everyone else that filled out a form?
Last edited by Nohr on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nohr

Postby Detra319 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:59 pm

The reason why a course in palo was discussed is that someone in the palo city hierarchy was talking about putting in a course to one of the people who was at the meeting last night. We definitely are more focused on maintaining what we have and improving our relationship with the city of cedar rapids.
Detra319

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:38 pm

I think the Eastern Iowa Disc Golf Club name is starting to grow on me.
It is recognizable to the outside world and does not restrict the area.
I really like the Cedar Valley name and didn't realize it was synonymous with just Cedarloo. After all, CR and surrounding areas are in the Cedar Valley too, including Wildcat Bluff. I'm not sure about using the Cedar Rapids name solely as other communities would feel left out such as Marion/Hiawatha/Mt Vernon/Vinton, etc..
CR is our main focus as far as relationship growth but should it be in the name of the club?
Budhyzer 17696

Postby Single L » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:32 pm

Budhyzer 17696 wrote:I really like the Cedar Valley name and didn't realize it was synonymous with just Cedarloo. After all, CR and surrounding areas are in the Cedar Valley too, including Wildcat Bluff.

Yeah I know, but everything in Cedarloo is Cedar Valley (much like everything in CR is 5 Seasons this and 5 Seasons that) .....
The Greater Cedar Valley Chamber of Commerce
Cedar Valley Vikings - Semi-Pro Football Team
Cedar Valley Youth Soccer
Oak Ridge Realtors (My Father In-Laws Company) - Slogan - "Your Cedar Valley Real Estate Leader"
Along with about 100 Businesses with Cedar Valley in their name.

So it would be easy for one to think the club is a Cedarloo Club.
I think the Eastern Iowa DGC would work; you already have the Eastern Iowa Airport, which used to be the Cedar Rapids Municipal Airport, but changed to reflect the region, much like you are aiming to do.
Single L

Postby hyzerman16234 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:21 pm

Budhyzer 17696 wrote:I think the Eastern Iowa Disc Golf Club name is starting to grow on me.
It is recognizable to the outside world and does not restrict the area.
I really like the Cedar Valley name and didn't realize it was synonymous with just Cedarloo. After all, CR and surrounding areas are in the Cedar Valley too, including Wildcat Bluff. I'm not sure about using the Cedar Rapids name solely as other communities would feel left out such as Marion/Hiawatha/Mt Vernon/Vinton, etc..
CR is our main focus as far as relationship growth but should it be in the name of the club?

Kind of like "The Eastern Iowa Airport" :lol: We both have stuff that fly's. Not a bad suggestion.
hyzerman16234

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:14 pm

what about "corridor disc golf club" or "corridor chain rattlers" aka ccr or "hyzer back dgc" or "river citys flyers dgc" or "the other iowa dgc"

i can't think anymore!

where do i send my dues?
Adding up scores after league... Greco-"Kerri, you shot 11 up" Kerri- "oh a 65 isn't bad" Greco-"that was the back nine"
3x state champ runner up

Postby Single L » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:38 pm

I'm a fan of the Corridor Disc Golf Club, but only if Iowa City is part of the Club. And by the looks of things I doubt that is the case, seeing how IC already has a organized group that takes care of their courses, fundraising, and such. This Club looks as if it will be for the Greater Cedar Rapids Metro Area.
Single L

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:45 pm

greco19536 wrote:what about "corridor disc golf club" or "corridor chain rattlers" aka ccr or "hyzer back dgc" or "river citys flyers dgc" or "the other iowa dgc"

i can't think anymore!

where do i send my dues?

Put it in the account you are going to set up for us as treasurer of the club. :wink: :lol:
Budhyzer 17696

Next

Return to Cedar Rapids Club