Snap

Learn to throw from local experts.

Postby anubis080 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:44 pm

Well, I do use the X-step. It's a casual stride more so to get everything in place.

I know I can get a disc out there well now, but not to my liking. I threw that darn Katana 400 ft. and it wasn't more than 3 feet off the ground.

I know that it is all arm. I may be able to throw fairly far, but it is ridiculously random where my line is when I power it out there half the time.

Am I wrong in assuming using more snap and not arm that I will be more accurate over time?
"he always flips his nuke ss's over forehand"-Rich
"those are regular z nukes, Rich..."-Andy
anubis080

Postby Like_Water » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:25 am

As far as grip goes, the two finger is good to start, but don't think it's going to get you very far. Accuracy (the name of this game) is about 1/3 of what you can get with a power or fan grip. Just ask Lindsley. :wink:

You need three points of pressure. Thumb, index/middle finger, and the third being your pinkie/ring finger. A few top players don't use their pinkie and still achieve a power grip. If you strengthen your grip with the power ball, you'll see it becomes much easier and comfortable to grip with all your digits.

It's too loud? How old are you? :shock: :D :(

I don't get much "snap" sound when I throw, but I can if I think about doing it. It's just your fingers clapping your palm once this disc is gone. Val Jenkins has this everytime she throws.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby ghstinshll » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:09 am

Discwrangler wrote:As far as grip goes, the two finger is good to start, but don't think it's going to get you very far. Accuracy (the name of this game) is about 1/3 of what you can get with a power or fan grip. Just ask Lindsley. :wink:

You need three points of pressure. Thumb, index/middle finger, and the third being your pinkie/ring finger. A few top players don't use their pinkie and still achieve a power grip.

I use all 4 for my normal power grip, but when I want a disc to get more RPM, I slip my pinky off, and have a 3 finger power grip. Seems like less fingers = less to keep the disc from spinning = more RPM.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby SARG27044 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:11 am

porkchop wrote:
SARG27044 wrote:Listen to Clarings drive, motherfucker sounds like his thumb gets snapped off when he throws...Jus saying. I only hear it on occasion, when I get a good pull, but it dosent happen a lot=I suck :cry:

Like I noted before, according to Stokely, you shouldn't hear a snap if you have proper technique ....... I would say your lack of D has more to do with your x-step or lack thereof rather than your release :roll:
Meh, Ill still kick your ass using my two finger "Y" step :lol:
SARG27044

Postby z-man » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:11 pm

Discwrangler wrote:If you strengthen your grip with the power ball

Are you invested in this company or something??
I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars...and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby ghstinshll » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:26 pm

not only is he the president, he's also a member!
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby irban » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:19 pm

I got one of the power balls years ago, and all it did was aggrevated the hell out of my tendinitis. I swear, I would think my arm was healed so I'd try the ball again, and my arm hurt for days afterward. You haven't experienced repetitive motion until you've had high RPM, gyroscopic Power Ball repetitive motion.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby anubis080 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:38 pm

haha, yeah they are alright. I didn't feel as though it was working as well as it should be. I would be sitting there with it at like 9000 rpm's and would have to be there for 10 minutes till I felt anything!
anubis080

Postby nrapp41 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:13 pm

I don't think the "snap" is necessarily what you are looking for. It can be a part of a strong throw, but you wanna focus on a strong follow through. Starting slow and ending fast, still accelerating at the point of release. Your timing!
nrapp41

Postby anubis080 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:20 pm

nrapp41 I really focused on my follow through and it made a great different in my consistency in my drives :) I was stopping my arm a lot when I tried muscling the disc out there.

It hasn't necessarily improved my distance, but I am more consistent with my distance for sure! I slowed my movements down quite a bit, so I will need to build it up more. I also watched myself on video and I was ducking my lead shoulder down quite a bit on power drives, so I straightened that out as well :)
anubis080

Previous

Return to Throwing Technique