Snap

Learn to throw from local experts.

Snap

Postby anubis080 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:59 pm

I feel as though I am not getting the snap down properly. I never hear a snap as well. A couple of questions:

1. If you are getting good snap, would you certainly hear it?

2. How tight should your thumb/fingers be throughout the process of the pull?

3. EDIT- explanation of finger release?
"he always flips his nuke ss's over forehand"-Rich
"those are regular z nukes, Rich..."-Andy
anubis080

Re: Snap

Postby z-man » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:05 am

anubis080 wrote:I feel as though I am not getting the snap down properly. I never hear a snap as well. A couple of questions:

Certainly No...possibly yes...I usually never hear a snap on my drives...I prefer a fluid release with lots of snap
2. How tight should your thumb/fingers be throughout the process of the pull?
Tight enough that the disc doesn't fall from your hand but light enough that your not pushing the top plane of the disc down...
3. EDIT- explanation of finger release?
When driving I don't even worry about the release...it is just a byproduct of your snap/throw...focusing on trying to open your hand is not proper technique imo...while putting, yes...while driving, no

Others here may feel totally different though...
I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars...and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby SARG27044 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:06 pm

Listen to Clarings drive, motherfucker sounds like his thumb gets snapped off when he throws...Jus saying. I only hear it on occasion, when I get a good pull, but it dosent happen a lot=I suck :cry:
SARG27044

Postby anubis080 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:27 pm

Z-man- I don't think I've ever put pressure on my thumb :oops: I guess it was always just there to point where the disc goes lol
anubis080

Postby ghstinshll » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:57 pm

it's possible that there's a misunderstanding here... I don't believe using your wrist to create snap - creates a sound.

The sound I hear in my hand when I drive, is my old bones creaking...

J/K, but what I DO hear is a snapping of my fingers from a good, firm power grip. It's just a collision of your digits as the disc gets ripped from your hand, right? I could see a firm grip causing a snap noise as it passes across your fingertips, but I think it's more of the middle finger snapping back across the palm/butt of the hand as your disc leaves your grip. It's a byproduct.

Many people are talking about snap, as in RPMs on the disc. People who are 'snappers' rely more on rotation, and glide than power, making the disc do more work for them. (believe, me, they still have PLENTY of power, just in a different way) Those throwers usually appear to have more graceful throws than I do. In this style, you won't hear a snap as often I don't think.

On the other hand, I still pull it hard w/ a little natural snap as it comes out of my power grip. My throwing style I refer to as being a little more herky-jerky.

(please correct me if I'm wrong here, just throwing out my hypothesis)
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby z-man » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:16 pm

anubis080 wrote:Z-man- I don't think I've ever put pressure on my thumb :oops: I guess it was always just there to point where the disc goes lol

I definitely apply a little pressure...just not to the point where the dome is depressed...You have to grip it to rip it
I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars...and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby anubis080 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:30 pm

I think I am getting the jist of things now. I never really gripped the disc before with thumb pressure, just held on tight with my other fingers.

I would be what ghstinshll would call herky-jerky :)

I've noticed that my shots dumb out fairly hard at the end of flight, I think that is due to not enough spin on the disc: no snap!

I'm gunna go out to Eastern with a bag full of discs and just work on form for the next month or two and see if I can't get it down for normal season :)
anubis080

Postby ghstinshll » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:49 pm

wait til the snow melts! :lol:

But, if you watch the EDGE DVD, you'll they talk about gripping it hard enough, to where you have to rely on centrifugal force to rip the disc from your grip. The firm grip will create/generate enough resistance, that when combined w/ the centrtifugal/rotational force of your reach back, pull through, and body rotation @ the hip - that it creates more "snap"
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Like_Water » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:53 pm

Get one of these. Use the powergrip. Problem solved.

If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Single L » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:32 pm

Easy there Tony "single L" Philips :lol: :lol:
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Ferch » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:22 pm

I throw with a 2 finger snap release which relys on full body motion. I weigh like 160 lbs soaking wet with rocks in both hands, so I need all the rotation that I can get for distance. I know if I don't put pressure on my thumb my release goes all messed up from hooking of my fingers. I know of only a few people that use this style of grip, but it works good for me. :?
Ferch

Postby z-man » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:31 pm

D31756F wrote:I throw with a 2 finger snap release which relys on full body motion. I weigh like 160 lbs soaking wet with rocks in both hands, so I need all the rotation that I can get for distance. I know if I don't put pressure on my thumb my release goes all messed up from hooking of my fingers. I know of only a few people that use this style of grip, but it works good for me. :?

When I first started playing I used the 2 finger grip because I knew no better (no one to teach me)...as I figured out the game I came to realize the power grip provides improved accuracy and power over the 2 finger approach...you should try learning the power grip...coming from my own personal years of experience
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby anubis080 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:57 pm

Right now I use a 3 finger grip, started with 2. I have not practiced with the power grip too much but will be in the future.

Discwrangler- I have used one of those before, it just gets SO loud lol. I just started using a normal gripper strengthener with just my index and thump to improve pinch strength as well.

Ghstinshll, I will definitely see if I can find a copy of that DVD. I haven't had anybody really teach me how to throw, in person, I've just watched people throw.
anubis080

Re: Snap

Postby Single L » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:25 pm

anubis080 wrote:I feel as though I am not getting the snap down properly. I never hear a snap as well. A couple of questions:

I remembered reading something about this in Scott Stokely's book, so I dug it out of a box. Here's what he has to say about the snap you hear .....

"When I release the disc perfectly, there is not much sound other than my arm and disc cutting through the air. However, once and a great while on a long throw, for reasons I have yet to figure out, there is a very loud "snapping" sound. This is an error in my technique; the disc will come out slower than I want and the throw usually comes up short, but it sure sounds like a good shot."

So I guess this explains why Snapple doesn't throw very far :lol:
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Single L » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:29 pm

SARG27044 wrote:Listen to Clarings drive, motherfucker sounds like his thumb gets snapped off when he throws...Jus saying. I only hear it on occasion, when I get a good pull, but it dosent happen a lot=I suck :cry:

Like I noted before, according to Stokely, you shouldn't hear a snap if you have proper technique ....... I would say your lack of D has more to do with your x-step or lack thereof rather than your release :roll:
Single L

Next

Return to Throwing Technique