Local club

Moderator: peyton

Local club

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:49 pm

There has been recent conversation about CR course work, renovations and general questions about how to go about making the disc golf courses/scene in the area better and/or more organized. I think the best way to achieve these goals is to create a local club. So I ask, would you like to become an active, contributing member of a local disc golf club committed to improving our disc golf courses, but more importantly our relationships with the community and city leaders as a whole?
Wildcat Bluff Crew Member
Budhyzer 17696

Postby Detra319 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:33 pm

Yes. I am more than willing to join. I will pay dues, donate x amount of hours a month/year, whatever. Count me in.
Detra319

Postby gpdigity » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:12 am

Detra319 wrote:Yes. I am more than willing to join. I will pay dues, donate x amount of hours a month/year, whatever. Count me in.

same goes for me.

ive decided that only way to become one of the best is let it consume me and im in for the long hual. lets get to work
gpdigity

Postby anubis080 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:29 am

Yeah, I'd like to join one as well, but QC still doesn't have me on their area forum yet...
"he always flips his nuke ss's over forehand"-Rich
"those are regular z nukes, Rich..."-Andy
anubis080

Postby Nohr » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:19 am

I would be happy to join and would also be fine with paying dues.

It is wierd having Iowa City so close to Cedar Rapids. Iowa City already has a club so I wouldn't want to step on their toes. There also 2 pretty successful leagues that happen. 5 Season League and Bushwakers.

It had been suggested that the club start out with few positions. President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary. I think we should also have 3 positions that are not elected but seats for the person leading various leagues. 1) BW Leadership 2) 5 season league 3) Iowa City.....the hard part is you can't force these people to participate. But they should be giving an oppertunity to raise concerns.

How much money/time does it take to install a "wildcat" teepad. Long tee for number 5 at shaver is screaming for a new teepad. A wildcat style one would be perfect in my opinion.

Edit: Maybe course changes are a little too lofty of a goal. I think picking up trash/manicuring the courses is something a little more down to earth to start with.
Nohr

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:18 am

Along with the four positions stated by Dustin you could have:

Membership director - Oversees club membership and recruitment of new members.
Technology director - Will want a web site I think.
Publicity director - Contacts with local news and radio on events.
Course director - Oversees course maintainence/improvemet projects.
League director - Oversees local league(s)

I could see one or more persons having double duties unless the work load required one person in each position.
Budhyzer 17696

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:23 am

Another thing to keep in mind:

Don't expect to have things accomplished overnight. Starting a club isn't going to solve or cure all the problems we have witnessed over the years.
We need to build our club image up in the eyes of the people we need help from such as city leaders. This will take some time. We will need to be a visible club raising awareness of the sport through community involvement such as Ice Bowls, school/church programs, charity work, etc. We can organize some small course work stuff but the majors things that need approval will only come from the relationships we build through our club.
We can not get disappointed if things are not moving as fast as we want them to. Staying positive and working toward common goals is the path needed and I think with the structure of our club, the things we want to achieve are obtainable.
Budhyzer 17696

Postby Detra319 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:41 am

Already talked to the Kirkwood peeps about starting a club out there. I was told that I will have someone contact me this week for the requirements, but they sound pretty loose. Then we can use some of their facilities, as long as they are not in use. I can think of several other ways it would help to have them on our side, and this might be a topic for a totally different discussion, but I think it can't hurt.
Detra319

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:39 pm

To those that have responded, and those yet to, what do you see your roll within the club being?
Do you want to be a paying member only to support disc golf?
Do you want to be involved with a committee that may fit your personal skill set?
Does your skill set define you as a director/leader?

The reason I ask is, before anything gets done, the structure of the club will need to be defined.
The people deciding this structure will be, in my opinion, on the board of directors. Once the board can meet and define what the club vision is, then all the pieces can be fit together so everyone that wants to get involved can find there place.

For the comment of "let's get to work". I like the enthusiasm and do not want you to lose that ever, but right now this is in the informative stage.
I've talked to Doug about this and I/we thought this would be a good "feeler gauge" to judge interest. I would like to hear from more local players who frequent this site and get more feedback.
Budhyzer 17696

Postby Nohr » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:32 pm

what do you see your role within the club being? - Laborer. I don't have the skill set to lead landscaping/disc golf renovations.

Do you want to be a paying member only to support disc golf? - I would like to donate b/w $20-$100 (a year) but also help do stuff

Do you want to be involved with a committee that may fit your personal skill set? - I have rusty html skills. But really any idiot can make a webpage with a wysiwyg (what you see is what you get...like word or dreamweaver).

Does your skill set define you as a director/leader? - Maybe the tech section. Any real work like construction or landscaping I am not qualified to lead. I would take a position on a board if a position was vacant.
Nohr

Postby gpdigity » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:52 pm

i see myself as someone that is already on the course 7 days a week in summer and i have no prob donating one of those days to work to help cedar rapids disc golf.

i wish to get more and more involved and increase interest in the sport in the community.

i would like the idea of this club luanching cuase i would love to see a tour similar to what the (North Iowa Tour)and (king of courses in quad cities)-(wak pac) is doing but with iowa city, and cedar rapids courses.

if in the next year we can get organized as a comuntiy and increase interest. i could see myself donating time and energy to organize such a league in 2011. just 1 round a month at diff courses.

with club dues and funding such leagues could be possible.
-i can work
-i can go out of my way to spread word of the sport and educate the casual players and make those aware the club exist.
-im not looking to lead the way but will put my 2 cents at meetings.

-im not against running leagues/tourneys for league in future and promoting.
gpdigity

Postby robizm » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:38 pm

Keep the goals small and remember 20% of the people that say they are going to commit to helping out, actually will. Once it comes down to decisions, usually the fewer 'cooks in the kitchen' the better.

Let everyone's voice be heard in main meetings and whittle that down the most mentioned and popular, then finalize that down to the top 2-3 that make the most sense. Those that regularly attend and help out get heard the most. Make sure you get the word out as much as possible as to when these meetings take place. Have 2-3 main areas where these meetings can be advertised and stick to that.

In other news, not sure if CR needs another course but I spoke to someone 'in the know' about some land (about 99 acres) near General Mills on the SW side of town owned by the city. It used to be that remote control air strip that is just sitting there doing nothing but attracting 4x4 and garbage dumping. Could be a nice piece of land used for another disc course.

-Rob
Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
pdga#: 17020 IQ: 47 quote: "Weather forecast for tonight : dark"
robizm

Postby AO » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:12 pm

I am interested in joining the club. I'm sure Clay and Tony would be interested too but will have to talk to them. When is this going to happen and who is going to organize the meeting?
AO

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 pm

AO wrote:I am interested in joining the club. I'm sure Clay and Tony would be interested too but will have to talk to them. When is this going to happen and who is going to organize the meeting?

Good to hear of your interest Adam.
Nothing is set in stone quite yet but the more interest we have, the closer to a meeting we are. Call me if you want to discuss anything in particular or I may give you a call too.
Budhyzer 17696

Postby AO » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:33 pm

Sorry it took so long to respond. I've been keeping up a little hear and there but I have been really busy with 3 Christmas's, girlfriend moving in, NYE, and Florida. I think the idea of a club should be helpfull and more will/can get accomplished.
AO

Next

Return to Cedar Rapids Club