course improvement ideas

course improvement ideas

Postby dirtyj » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:19 am

Same as CM lets get some ideas together before spring and then form a plan to get done what we can. Steve and Neils we need your help!!!!!!

Acouple ideas
1. repaint baskets back to the glourios red and yellow(maybe mark pads too)
2.tree and limb clean up
3. hole 10 long tee pad landscape back side to keep gravel off.
4. kill every chucking cocoburr (im sure spelling is wrong)
5. Replace signs ( I can make these just need help)
dirtyj

Postby Conrad 37988 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:49 pm

It's a good list, sept for the 1st idea. Painting or marking the teepads red or yellow is good. I don't like the idea of painting baskets. It looks good at Colfax, but unless it done extremely well it looks tacky, case in point hole 3 red basket.

I asure you I will do my part to take care of the burr situation. It's not part of the course, it's a weed, I'm cutting it down.
Conrad 37988

Postby dirtyj » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:55 pm

Hey Kurt I have a graco paint sprayer so it will be nice. Trust me I know what your thinking trust me no spray paint cans.
dirtyj

Re: course improvement ideas

Postby Cydisc » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:31 pm

dirtyj wrote:Same as CM lets get some ideas together before spring and then form a plan to get done what we can. Steve and Neils we need your help!!!!!!

Acouple ideas
1. repaint baskets back to the glourios red and yellow(maybe mark pads too)
2.tree and limb clean up
3. hole 10 long tee pad landscape back side to keep gravel off.
4. kill every chucking cocoburr (im sure spelling is wrong)
5. Replace signs ( I can make these just need help)

1. Make sure you clear anything you do with ISU Rec Services. Garry Greenlee is the contact there.

2. ditto.

3. ditto.

4. Cucklebur

5. Replace with what?
Cydisc

Postby Conrad 37988 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:53 pm

Is the footage corect on the signs since the baskets where moved on 07? I ask this because some of the signs seem off. I don't think they need to be replaced, just updated.
Conrad 37988

Postby Cydisc » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:11 pm

Conler Milrad 37988 wrote:Is the footage corect on the signs since the baskets where moved on 07? I ask this because some of the signs seem off. I don't think they need to be replaced, just updated.

Some of the signs do need to be updated with accurate distances.

In fact, I'd like to see some of the baskets returned to their original positions. The new placements they did threw the balance of the course way off.
Cydisc

Postby dirtyj » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:10 pm

Steve could we get together sometime and talk about origanal placement and or footage and improvement. We are looking to you because you know more about many things in this and we would like to do improvements but not re do them because we may have done them wrong. So if you and I could get together basically help give us a clear direction on pin placement and who has the keys? Please call me at 515-231-1495
dirtyj

Postby dirtyj » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:24 am

The signs I was thinking of would be of some red oak because i have extra and its a good hardwood. Then router them out to say what we all agree on. Then I would stain and poly them. And for the vandals I would cover the sign with Lexan which is bullet proof glass or very similar I also have some extra of that. The posts I was planning on using 2 inch black pipe driven at least past the 42 inch mark and concreted in. and of course the black pipe will be painted red or yellow. This should give those chucking vandals something to work at. And Steve could you help us contact Garry Greenlee, I agree to do things through the proper channels and you know the channels. Who do you contact for CM.
dirtyj

Postby SpikeHyzer » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:07 pm

Put the baskets back to the way it was before the new positions came about.
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby Single L » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:33 pm

SpikeHyzer wrote:Put the baskets back to the way it was before the new positions came about.

QFT ..... The original layout was great .... the new pins not so much
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby dirtyj » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:35 pm

That sounds good but kenton is going to have to do this I believe he has the keys. I cant seem to get him to contact me so I can make the signs accurate.
dirtyj

Postby Cydisc » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:03 pm

dirtyj wrote:That sounds good but kenton is going to have to do this I believe he has the keys. I cant seem to get him to contact me so I can make the signs accurate.

Be patient. Let me get off work and we'll chat.

I don't have keys.
Cydisc

Postby dirtyj » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:05 pm

thanks steve.
dirtyj

Postby Cydisc » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:18 pm

A coupla things while I'm on a break...

- The original layout was the shite. They wanted some alternate placements to shake things up. I gave them some ideas under the impression that only a few would change at a time. They moved all of them all at once and have since removed some of the original sleeves after they got mowed over. I'm going to request some new sleeves for the original placements and get the course back into balance.

- Josh, can you produce a prototype of the sign you are looking at making? They'll probably approve of replacing the signs as long as it's something they think will stand up to vandals and looks good, too. I don't think we need to replace the posts with steel.

-This is the year that the hyzer route on #6 finally gets cleared out. We only need a chainsaw.
Cydisc

Postby dirtyj » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:27 pm

Yes I will make a prototype. I also have the ability to make the sleeves for free to the course just need od of pins and I can go caliper that sometime soon. How many do we need? I also own three chainsaws that we can use. Just permission and direction would help. I also have some big trailers to haul crap out. I spoke with steinhoek enviromental and he would help us out by letting us dump small brush there. any wood over four inch diameter I can use in my fire pit so we can dispose there too. what do you think of repainting the baskets?
dirtyj

Next

Return to Ames - Iowa State University (Stable Run DGC)