Course Improvement Ideas

Moderator: peyton

Postby Abe Froman » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:28 pm

Nohr wrote:
projectpuffindiscman wrote: until i see more than the 10 or so people (that actually do some work on the courses )get anything done all everybody has is GREAT IDEAS! get off yer ass and do some work, regardless of who sees you do it. then they might agree to some major work. until then........pfffft

Well if there was 10 now there is going to be 11. I didn't do jack crap last year but pick up a little garbage. This year I would like to get a little more involved and give back to the courses I like so much.

There seems to be a lot of negative attitude going on in here. Sorry If I touched a nerve or something. I am just trying to get a group of people together to get some stuff done on local courses.

I was extremely frustrated last year when the call went out to help clean up jones before the team championships. I thought this was a perfect time to get people together and clean the course. Instead it was suggested that individuals just go out and do it.

I am actually jealous of Iowa City. I see them post things about work nights and stuff. I want to do some of that stuff. And next year I am going to try to help out down there also.

I have lived in Cedar Rapids for under 2 years. I was lucky enough to do some diggin and found the local scene. I still think it is hard for a new person that wants to get involved to find the right people.

And finally if you disagree with me just remember you are probably a better disc golfer than me. So you got that going for ya.

not trying to be negative dustin. i appreciate yer help and glad to see more people want to do something about it. im not pretending to get on an ivory tower or high horse. i suck, ask anybody that's seen me putt. and im not pretending to be the guy that does all the work. i've put in some hours but it pails in comparison to the work others have done. but after about 10-12 years being on the course i dont know how many times ive heard people say how they wanna help but come time to do it they are nowhere to be seen. i look forward to seeing ya this spring. for now im on offseason knee surgery rehab. i'll be hiding till doom!
Abe Froman

Postby Captain » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:02 pm

IHearChains wrote:
Captain wrote:We're thinking of doing the same with Turkey Creek.

Nice, Captain! Let me know what I can do to help. I actually like TC (except for the overpopulation), it has better variety than a lot of courses. But it would be great to find out how much better it could be.

This is still a long way from happening. I also don't think the entire course needs to change, but I think the land still has a lot more to offer than what is there. The hard part will be getting ACOE to approve it. When we added holes at TC last time, we were told that we could only play down the ridge tops. Erosion issues.
Captain

Postby Captain » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:09 pm

projectpuffindiscman wrote: i dont know how many times ive heard people say how they wanna help but come time to do it they are nowhere to be seen.

You're tellin' me brotha!!! Every time I work at TC I get asked about helping. I tell them to watch the message boards on the courses and iowadg, but never see 'em again.

I think you only need 6-10 people with a little desire to put down the discs and pick up a shovel. With too many people, it becomes hard to come to a consensus.
Captain

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:13 am

Captain wrote:
projectpuffindiscman wrote: i dont know how many times ive heard people say how they wanna help but come time to do it they are nowhere to be seen.

You're tellin' me brotha!!! Every time I work at TC I get asked about helping. I tell them to watch the message boards on the courses and iowadg, but never see 'em again.

I think you only need 6-10 people with a little desire to put down the discs and pick up a shovel. With too many people, it becomes hard to come to a consensus.

not if you have a good leader with a plan. I think it should be said that don't come to work nights thinking all your great ideas are going to come to fruition right away. Put in your time as an indian, and then, people will start listening to your ideas, and maybe one day you'll be a chief. What Stibs is saying too many chiefs and not enough indians = shit don't get done.
GDL17921

Postby Detra319 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:27 am

The thing I don't really know about Cedar Rapids is who the leaders of the CR "club" is. I know the 2 people who run the 2 dif leagues in town, but thats it. I know they can only do so much, and running the leagues in and of themselves is a LOT of time to invest in something. Kids and wives and such find it hard to understand your love of the game sometimes, that is for sure.

On that note....

why won't the city let us upgrade the teepads at jones? You would think preventing erosion would be a good thing, not a bad. Is it liability issues? Is it pure suckiness issues? I tried to talk to the city about it and basically got the "He's in a meeting" treatment for over a month til I finally gave up and just went and fixed the pin myself.

And...what do you mean about the $175 a pad thing? Can't you just pour some concrete? I mean, I've done my fair share of home project sidewalks and they always seem to turn out right. They also don't get the traffic that a disc golf pad would have, but dunno. 3 inches of concrete is hard to mess with.

Ok so...I'm rambling. We have months until we can do anything. Let's just discuss some of the things that we think should get done. And...I like the idea of a contest to see who can do the most improvements at any given course. Who wants to throw down the gauntlet with me?
Detra319

Postby IHearChains » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:27 am

GDL5000 wrote:I think it should be said that don't come to work nights thinking all your great ideas are going to come to fruition right away. Put in your time as an indian, and then, people will start listening to your ideas, and maybe one day you'll be a chief. What Stibs is saying too many chiefs and not enough indians = shit don't get done.

For indians like me that have lots of squaw and papoose obligations at home, work nights are sometimes not possible. In IC area, Harper and Stibal have done a good job of putting up some lists of things that need to be done at the work nights, and are already approved by the powers that be. I think this is a good way to get more participation from people like me that can't always attend work nights. Because with that list, I can go out there on my own, put in a couple hours knowing that my efforts are in line with the chief's, and are approved by the Parks or Corps.
IHearChains

Postby Abe Froman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:55 am

the trick is to start off small and work your way up. baby steps. the fact is that it's hard enough to get people out there to help just clear debris and maintain the courses let alone move pads and complete larger projects. once the easy stuff is out of the way then we can get to the big fish. just ask doug how many times he has been out doing work by himself when groups walk through to play their round and don't offer to even help (it has happened to me many times also). im suprised trish hasn't cut him off yet from all the blood and sweat he has invested in legion. like stibs said earlier, bring a shovel or some loppers instead of yer disc bag to the course next time.
Abe Froman

Postby peyton » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:37 am

I hate being a nay sayer on Cedar Rapids but it all goes through one individual and he comes up with so many off the cuff reasons to not do stuff it's unreal. Money is not the issue with the city either because on several occasions we have had the money and time but they give us a liability reasons or lame excuses. The best one was when we first put in the course to use wood chips to help keep the erosion down; answer was that the wood chips would get in the grass. Not real sure what the meaning behind it was but? Legion will be changing this spring for sure but I will have to lay out a plan for the parks department to OK before getting started, if someone could stop the snow I would appreciate it. Thanks....Just to let everyone know, I wanted to get out of running stuff the last couple years but my wife is the one that keeps me involved, especially running LOD. Hard to find ones like that.
peyton

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:10 pm

disc golf will outlast one certain individual. The story I always tell people is the one about Milan, IL. ONE certain individual saw disc golf as a fad, wouldn't allow concrete tee pads on the original Camden course. His view was they would be unused within a couple years. This was back in 2000, 2001. Look what's happened at Camden since then. Another course, and concrete pads on both, and the city did the work and funded the concrete. People come around, but you have to give them a reason to.
GDL17921

Postby Single L » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:56 pm

GDL5000 wrote:disc golf will outlast one certain individual.

Another reason to have an organized Club and not relying so much on a few individuals.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Nohr » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:45 pm

peyton wrote:I hate being a nay sayer on Cedar Rapids but it all goes through one individual and he comes up with so many off the cuff reasons to not do stuff it's unreal.

Is this guy/gal in an electable office? Sounds like we need an inside man/woman.

Peyton '10!!!!!!!!
Nohr

Postby Crager » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:40 pm

Nohr Wrote:
Peyton '10!!!!!!!!

Is this mean you are moving to CR, Doug? LMAO
Crager

Postby peyton » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:02 pm

I live in Marion, won't run for office and no as many know this person is in for the long haul and not electible. He has been there longer probably than I have been alive.
peyton

Postby robizm » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:55 pm

I am too ADD to read through all these posts but I get the idea from Dustin's initial thoughts....

Since I am as sharp as a marble I believe in the idea of "who you know is better then what you know". It has worked wonders for me in business, and I would recommend forming (if there isn't one) a Club or CRDG Panel that meets regularly to mold, trim down, mold, trim down these ideas to manageable tasks. I did read focusing on one course at a time, which seems more logical.

I have gotten to know Dale Todd on a personal level over the last few years, and other than being a total politician, he has been fun to shoot the shit with. I don't know if this is who Doug is referring to but I could talk to him at the very least to see if there is any other approach that is missing in CR. I have a feeling that Doug has visited all possibilites, hell most small businesses establish themselves in Marion, Hiawatha, Robins, etc...because the Cit of CR is too high and mighty to give tax breaks to small businesses.

You need to remember, that CR at least in my opinion is a 'good ole boy' type of town. There is NOTHING progressive about it, so you will need to 'elect' an official spokesperson that can provide a professional, well thought out approach to the ideas for the courses you want to change/improve. t least that's the start I would focus on....

Lastly, I know I have said this a few times before, but I was heavy (playing wise) in the disc golf scene from 1999 to 2002-03 then took a 6 year break. Coming back to playing some casual random dubs this past year and having Doug STILL running things is pretty freaking awesome. If he stops doing the things that so many rely on, organizationally, it won't be easy to replace that in my opinion! Rock on to you Doug! and to Trish (that's why we call our wives 'the better half')
Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
pdga#: 17020 IQ: 47 quote: "Weather forecast for tonight : dark"
robizm

Postby peyton » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:53 am

I know Dale from 20 years ago, but I don't believe he has much to do with the parks dept anymore. He used to be the Parks commisioner 15 years ago but I haven't kept up lately. It is not him that is the problem.
peyton

PreviousNext

Return to Cedar Rapids Club