Course Improvement Ideas

Moderator: peyton

Course Improvement Ideas

Postby Nohr » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:26 pm

Hello Cedar Rapidians. I would just like to get an ongoing discusion about course improvements here. We have some great courses and people in the area. Lets try to make the courses even better. Here are somethings that I would love to do.

Major Projects:
* Level out teepads at Jones/Shaver
* Build retaining walls around level teepads to hopefully keep them level
* Bigger walkways over water at hiawatha
* alternative teepads at shaver
* help doug & company with Legion changes

Minor Projects:
* Get brooms installed at wildcat
* Weekly/Bi Weekly moving trash to an easy pickup area for the city

I know that the city is in charge of the parks. But if a group of highly motivated people did improvements would the city even notice?
Last edited by Nohr on Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nohr

Postby Detra319 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:07 pm

How about we move some pads at shaver? Or some alternate pro pads? I am more than willing to buy concrete to pour more pads, and I know my dad has at least 20 bags in storage at his office that he hasnt used in 10 years. I used some to fix one of the pins at shaver right before it snowed, as it looked like someone had tried to steal it.

I also have a giant stack of 2x4's we could use to make a slightly better walkway for hiawatha, but again I snagged those after it was cold so was waiting a bit before we tried to do that (like 2 months :P)

Anyways, awesome to see someone trying to get this stuff going. Our courses in CR are great, but there is so much more potential.
Detra319

Postby Abe Froman » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:17 pm

everybody has lots of ideas, but i've seen only few offer up the time to put in work. the tough part is getting people to help or motivated enoug to do something about it. the city doesnt notice shit or care to help themselves. i dont know how many times ive bee out @ shaver\jones\legion witha weedwhacker,polesaw, shovel for hours and nobody's ever said a word. ever. just as long as you're helping clean up the course and not just bulldozing brush for retarded chucker reasons
Abe Froman

Postby Nohr » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:36 am

Every time I go to Wildcat I am blown away. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't most of the course work/design done by a group of like 6-8 guys.

I think the first step is getting ideas out there and then seeing which ones are viable. I am not to worried about man/woman power.

Detra319 - I heard horror stories about trying to physically move teepads at thomas. I think our best bet would be trying to create alternative teepads.
Nohr

Postby hyzerman16234 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:54 am

Nohr wrote:Every time I go to Wildcat I am blown away. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't most of the course work/design done by a group of like 6-8 guys.

I think the first step is getting ideas out there and then seeing which ones are viable. I am not to worried about man/woman power.

Detra319 - I heard horror stories about trying to physically move teepads at thomas. I think our best bet would be trying to create alternative teepads.

For Wildcat we just do the work when it needs it. But we have that level of permission. I also have a lot of weekdays off from my job so you will find me or any of the other crew members there most days. For city courses it's not so easy to just go and do it. You have to get the OK. One thing to consider is that Doug will be needing help at Legion and the Wildcat crew will be helping there this spring as well as doing our thing at home.
hyzerman16234

Postby Captain » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:04 am

Detra319 wrote:How about we move some pads at shaver? Or some alternate pro pads?

Moving the tee pads in not as hard as you might think. Just need be able to access them with a truck. ICDGL learned from Doug, so many resources available.

Perhaps Shaver could just be completely redesigned to use more of the land and natural features. I realize that people have already put in time and effort to the existing course, but it could be a lot better.

We're thinking of doing the same with Turkey Creek.

Detra319 wrote:I am more than willing to buy concrete to pour more pads, and I know my dad has at least 20 bags in storage at his office that he hasnt used in 10 years.

Bags of concrete don't work so good to pour tee pads. Better off moving existing ones or pouring new ones ($175 for one yard of concrete/one tee pad).
Captain

Postby Captain » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:05 am

projectpuffindiscman wrote:everybody has lots of ideas, but i've seen only few offer up the time to put in work.

Exaclty!!!!!!!!!! We are of no shortage of ideas, just time, effort, and resources to implement them.
Captain

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:26 am

[quote="Nohr"]Every time I go to Wildcat I am blown away. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't most of the course work/design done by a group of like 6-8 guys.

Those 6-8 guys have been friends for a long time and work well together. We have a common goal to make the course the best around this area. If you can get a group together and instill that same common goal, you'll be able to do the same. I would suggest on focusing your efforts on one course at a time though. If you try to do more than one thing at a time, nothing will get done. Maybe have a group of 4 or 5 on each course and make it a challenge to see who gets the most work done or best improvements.
Wildcat Bluff Crew Member
Budhyzer 17696

Postby IHearChains » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:30 am

Captain wrote:Perhaps Shaver could just be completely redesigned to use more of the land and natural features. I realize that people have already put in time and effort to the existing course, but it could be a lot better.

Nice, Captain! Let me know what I can do to help. I actually like TC (except for the overpopulation), it has better variety than a lot of courses. But it would be great to find out how much better it could be.
IHearChains

Postby peyton » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:45 pm

It's nice to see people that want to change these courses but actually being there when the work needs done is another thing. Jones park is the hardest to get anything done because of the city. Leveling tee pads and moving them is not hard, just physical. Leveling the teepads at Jones would be easy but you will need to put up erosion or some sort of wash-out wall. The city will not allow us to do this and has said so on many occasions. Shaver is different but I don't know if you could entirely redo the course without the city's OK. Hiawatha & Legion I can work with the city to fix or enhance anything at these courses but we need to ask first. I think the first thing that should be done is someone organize a club or committee to take on the tasks at hand so you don't have several groups hitting up the same local officals.
peyton

Postby Abe Froman » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:47 pm

IHearChains wrote:
Captain wrote:Perhaps Shaver could just be completely redesigned to use more of the land and natural features. I realize that people have already put in time and effort to the existing course, but it could be a lot better.

Nice, Captain! Let me know what I can do to help. I actually like TC (except for the overpopulation), it has better variety than a lot of courses. But it would be great to find out how much better it could be.

lolololololololol. the day you ge tthe city to agree to completely re-haul shaver is the day I bat 6th for the cubs and start at 2nd base. the city doesn't want to spend ANY money and they could care less about disc golfers and how we would prefer to use the land. moving pads\baskets and upkeep of overgrowth is always needed and undermanned. until i see more than the 10 or so people (that actually do some work on the courses )get anything done all everybody has is GREAT IDEAS! get off yer ass and do some work, regardless of who sees you do it. then they might agree to some major work. until then........pfffft
Abe Froman

Postby IHearChains » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:12 pm

projectpuffindiscman wrote:
IHearChains wrote:

lolololololololol. the day you ge tthe city to agree to completely re-haul shaver is the day I bat 6th for the cubs and start at 2nd base. the city doesn't want to spend ANY money and they could care less about disc golfers and how we would prefer to use the land. moving pads\baskets and upkeep of overgrowth is always needed and undermanned. until i see more than the 10 or so people (that actually do some work on the courses )get anything done all everybody has is GREAT IDEAS! get off yer ass and do some work, regardless of who sees you do it. then they might agree to some major work. until then........pfffft

I was responding to Captains comments about Turkey Creek, I guess I should not have put that here.

BTW, there are people who actually "do some work, regardless of who sees you do it". You just don't see them.
IHearChains

Postby Nohr » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:22 pm

projectpuffindiscman wrote: until i see more than the 10 or so people (that actually do some work on the courses )get anything done all everybody has is GREAT IDEAS! get off yer ass and do some work, regardless of who sees you do it. then they might agree to some major work. until then........pfffft

Well if there was 10 now there is going to be 11. I didn't do jack crap last year but pick up a little garbage. This year I would like to get a little more involved and give back to the courses I like so much.

There seems to be a lot of negative attitude going on in here. Sorry If I touched a nerve or something. I am just trying to get a group of people together to get some stuff done on local courses.

I was extremely frustrated last year when the call went out to help clean up jones before the team championships. I thought this was a perfect time to get people together and clean the course. Instead it was suggested that individuals just go out and do it.

I am actually jealous of Iowa City. I see them post things about work nights and stuff. I want to do some of that stuff. And next year I am going to try to help out down there also.

I have lived in Cedar Rapids for under 2 years. I was lucky enough to do some diggin and found the local scene. I still think it is hard for a new person that wants to get involved to find the right people.

And finally if you disagree with me just remember you are probably a better disc golfer than me. So you got that going for ya.
Nohr

Postby hyzerman16234 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:06 pm

Nohr wrote:
projectpuffindiscman wrote: until i see more than the 10 or so people (that actually do some work on the courses )get anything done all everybody has is GREAT IDEAS! get off yer ass and do some work, regardless of who sees you do it. then they might agree to some major work. until then........pfffft

Well if there was 10 now there is going to be 11. I didn't do jack crap last year but pick up a little garbage. This year I would like to get a little more involved and give back to the courses I like so much.

There seems to be a lot of negative attitude going on in here. Sorry If I touched a nerve or something. I am just trying to get a group of people together to get some stuff done on local courses.

I was extremely frustrated last year when the call went out to help clean up jones before the team championships. I thought this was a perfect time to get people together and clean the course. Instead it was suggested that individuals just go out and do it.

I am actually jealous of Iowa City. I see them post things about work nights and stuff. I want to do some of that stuff. And next year I am going to try to help out down there also.

I have lived in Cedar Rapids for under 2 years. I was lucky enough to do some diggin and found the local scene. I still think it is hard for a new person that wants to get involved to find the right people.

And finally if you disagree with me just remember you are probably a better disc golfer than me. So you got that going for ya.

It's good to hear you want to help. The biggest and first task is getting organized and then convincing the city to let you do anything. They will then tell you there is no money. We paid for Wildcat out of pocket. Otherwise it wouldn't be there. Fund raising can be done but takes time and effort. (By the way does anyone know where I can get some free railroad ties.) Good luck and maybe the crew can help out.
hyzerman16234

Postby Single L » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:12 pm

From my experience in Des Moines it seems like forming a Formal Club might be you answer to getting things done. It seems like we have it made in Des Moines, but it all started with a solid foundation. Prior to my time on the board many relationships were made with the Des Moines parks and rec. The more organized you look and act the more respect they have for your purpose and goals. We now have a very open relationship with the parks department. We also have to deal with the DNR and Army Corps which are more restrictive. Prior to 2009 it was always thought that we could do nothing at Walnut Ridge, due to previous talks INDIVIDUALS had with them. We came up with a business plan for Walnut and presented to them. After working on some details the CLUB now has a great relationship with them and can get a lot done with great support from them. Bottom line you have a lot more pull and support with a Club. I know Doug has a great relationship with Marion and Hiawatha, but those relationships were built on a person level of trust in him. Most of the time you don't have a personal relationship with these parks departments and need some type of backing, a club serves this purpose. Maybe the City of Cedar Rapids needs to see this commitment from the DG community before they will support the DG community. The QC Club is proof of this in my opinion. Since the reemergence of their club they have been able to add 4 new courses and have a booming disc golf scene.

Just something to chew on .......
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Next

Return to Cedar Rapids Club