Signs for Jones

Moderator: peyton

Signs for Jones

Postby ghstinshll » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:25 pm

Hey guys, will there be new signs being put in @ Jones this year?

thanks...
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby peyton » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:45 pm

There will probably be something done this spring or early summer. I will have to talk with the city to get this done. I am currently getting prices for signs at Legion.
The big problem is that Jones gets vandalized quite a bit by the local youths. I am trying to find something that will take a beating and fight back.
The city won't pay for any of this so getting the best bang for the buck is what we are looking for.
peyton

Postby Abe Froman » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:24 pm

steel poles. metal signs. welded on. i'll help if we can call hole #1 the true #1 on the top of the hill instead of the bottom. i have no idea why they did that in the first place.
Abe Froman

Postby peyton » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:39 pm

That all had to do with Charlie and the city. When they blacktopped the top parking lot the city wanted to change the layout so people would park down below and start from there. The course should have been laid out different so that was a center meeting area instead of the beginning and end. I can check into that also when I talk to them. May just do it anyway.
peyton

Postby Abe Froman » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:50 pm

that would be sweet because we all still park up top. i never made the effort to memorize the new hole #'s. i'm down to help with the signs. i have metal working tools and i am an ICAR certified welder. i wouldn't mind diggin a new post hole for old 17's basket to the left where it used to be. food for thought
Abe Froman

Postby peyton » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:15 am

We may need to do some welding. I have to check into the sign costs and types first. If I remember right the size of the frames at Jones are somewhat inbetween regular paper sizes.
I would love to put a new sleeve on 17's left placement. I will start the process.
peyton

Postby AngelaT » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:10 pm

These signs are sorely needed. Adam Olsen talked to me about joining in somehow (fundraiser, remember Adam :) ) because he'd like to see new signs, and that goes for me too. I know a local welder, so holler if you're looking for some help.
Innova Team Champion www.innovadiscs.com * Team Huk Lab www.huklab.com *
Disc-Diva...You wish you threw like a girl! www.disc-diva.com *
Widye "Sick Dyes!" www.widye.com * Team IRON LION www.ironliondgs.com
AngelaT

Postby Abe Froman » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:55 pm

i was doin some thinking on the ride home and if 30 people show up to give 500+ to charity why wouldn't at least that many people show up for a event to raise money for new signs @ jones? i think it would be a great idea to throw a tourney @ jones for new signs. whatever is left could go to the hiawatha course. i see no reason why this isn't possible. i know we could get the local support to show up and i would personally bust my ass along with others to get all kinds of sponsors to throw down donations to make this event attractive to all. what do you think???????
Abe Froman

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:35 pm

HAve a doubes $10 per person doubles tourney, hal goes to new signs have goes to pay out. same day have a disc and can drive. ask people to bring unwanted discs and refundable bottles and cans. give money to doug we do it second or third week in march
frogawitdafizzle

Postby AO » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:42 pm

frogawitdafizzle wrote:HAve a doubes $10 per person doubles tourney, hal goes to new signs have goes to pay out.

Don't even have payout. Advertise for signs only but like you said get some sponsors and have people bring extra discs for prizes.
AO

Postby ghstinshll » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:25 pm

I think for people who play that course, it'd be enough just to know that it's going for the signs... I'd even come up for that, since that's my primary course in CR. Anyway, the guys doing our signs for the Norwalk course have a simple, yet concise design & vinyl graphic on a regular street sign (steel or whatever metal it is). Theyr'e being donated to us as a sponsor, but really seem like an affordable sign for anyone looking to buy!
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:58 pm

How's this sound either march 10 or 24th thers nothing on the calender. Format doubles 2 divisions pro and am. have bbq beef sandwiches(I'll get the meat, someone else cook "burnt Chili") for lunch. $10 dollars per team $10 to get in the money, awards and prizes for top three teams in both divisions, payout 30% for people in the money. If anyone has some prizes to donate contact Stiers or A.O. Maybe Doug has some old LOD shirts etc he might donate :lol: Somebody pick the date. If any one has any ideas let it be heard. This park needs some tlc, stiers is right we should be able to raise quite a bit of money hand it over to doug and get new signs.[/code][/b][/u]
frogawitdafizzle

Postby AO » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:15 pm

Frog,
Sounds like a great idea. I definately doubt Doug would be against it. Let's get this thing rolling and maybe we could even get some DM golfers to come. You know I got plenty to donate and I am sure I can get Clay and Tony to get rid of some of their stuff.
Maybe Ace Hunt can provide some of his traveling funds he has talked about. Although I don't think he will because it is not one of his events, who knows maybe he will help. Jones just need signs which I have heard about since I started.
Last edited by AO on Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AO

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:21 pm

I'll email lance
frogawitdafizzle

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:22 pm

what day 10th or 24th, greco you want to get in on this?
frogawitdafizzle

Next

Return to Cedar Rapids Club