Snow Golf

Learn to throw from local experts.

Snow Golf

Postby Schirm » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:07 pm

I've been reading a lot of posts in regard to tee pads being shoveled off.

Anyone have any good advise for playing in the snow?

I'm mostly concerned with how you spot and find you discs without trampling all of the snow. I would plan on bringing only cheap, stable to understable plastic. But if its gonna take 4 hours to play because your digging for discs the whole time, I would just as soon wait till it melts.
Force, Wraith, Teebird, Viking, Pig, Buzzz, Challenger...This week at least.
Schirm

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:32 pm

Advise - Have fun and don't take it too serious. I go mainly to get exercise.
It's best to play in virgin snow with no surface imperfections. That way you can see the disc entry point and find them pretty easy. Walking in one set of footprints keeps the fairways "clean" and easier to find your discs. Just branch off from the main trail.
If you don't want to play a four hour round and look for discs, you'd better wait for the snow to melt.
Wildcat Bluff Crew Member
Budhyzer 17696

Postby ghstinshll » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:13 am

it takes focus, grasshoppah, gweat focus!

(thank God for AE Milk Nog, yum...)

seriously though, you thought keeping your eyes locked on a disc landing zone was important in the summer? REALLY gotta keep an eye on em now. I tend to throw my neon green FLX Buzz, and putter - to keep it simple.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby hyzerman16234 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:06 am

ghstinshll wrote:
it takes focus, grasshoppah, gweat focus!

(thank God for AE Milk Nog, yum...)

seriously though, you thought keeping your eyes locked on a disc landing zone was important in the summer? REALLY gotta keep an eye on em now. I tend to throw my neon green FLX Buzz, and putter - to keep it simple.

I know a player who uses white discs in the snow! Come to think of it he does misplace one now and then though. We find them when it melts.
hyzerman16234

Postby Cydisc » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:34 am

The trick is to take some old discs you don't mind ruining. Drill a small hole in the center of each and run a 2' length of high visibility ribbon through the hole. Knot one end so that it's securely fastened. Now, when your disc takes a dive under the snow, the ribbon will be visible on the surface.
Cydisc

Postby Captain » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:51 am

Cydisc wrote:The trick is to take some old discs you don't mind ruining. Drill a small hole in the center of each and run a 2' length of high visibility ribbon through the hole. Knot one end so that it's securely fastened. Now, when your disc takes a dive under the snow, the ribbon will be visible on the surface.

I found this solution doesn't work very good (at least for me). The ribbon always follows the disc into the snow. It rarely hangs up on top of the snow.

I say, you can't beat keeping your eye on it. Depth perception is hard in the snow.
Captain

Postby Buzzznation » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:10 am

I use the winter to work on shots that I don't normally throw. Since it is difficult to do the standard runup backhand, I'll throw more overhands and sidearm shots. But like it's been said, you can't take it too serious and is more for fun.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:14 am

To counter the depth perception issue, pick a landmark such as a tree that is distinguishable to the area your disc went into the snow. At least you'll have the general area to look and can then find the entry point from there.
Wildcat Bluff Crew Member
Budhyzer 17696

Postby IHearChains » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:34 am

Carry a shovel and clear the tees while the snow is fresh. Once people tromp all over the tees and turn them into solid ice it could be weeks before they are clear again.
IHearChains

Postby Like_Water » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:37 pm

Put an LED on top.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Cydisc » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:12 pm

Captain wrote:The ribbon always follows the disc into the snow. It rarely hangs up on top of the snow.

I'd say your ribbon is too short. But, that's a different topic altogether.
Cydisc

Postby Schirm » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:24 pm

I'm gonna try the ribbon idea for sure. The only other thing I could envision would be attaching something that chirped, and you could follow the sound, but I'm not sure if such a thing exists.
Force, Wraith, Teebird, Viking, Pig, Buzzz, Challenger...This week at least.
Schirm

Snow disc golf

Postby sajarcher » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:41 pm

I play all year long. I use ribbon with length from almost the length if my arms streched out or at least 4ft,long. Put duct tape to the undersidewith a small hole cut in center of the tape just enough to get the ribbon to pass through the tape then pull about 11/2" fold so ribbon lays half on each side of the cut. place ribbon int center as best as possible. Use good tape! I have been playing for two years in snow and I only have one missing until the snow melts to find it. Bad throw didn't see landing spot but I know general area.
Also it is a good idea to have a person to spot at blind holes. And learn to read the snow markings slices skip cuts and the like. Ah the ribbon I use is christmas wrapping ribbon the small stuff red is the best. I hope this helps someone. Later and good throwing...
sajarcher

Return to Throwing Technique