Want to get better,Learn to throw your putter

Learn to throw from local experts.

Postby Buzzznation » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:57 am

I wanted to learn to throw my putter for extra D. I would go out to the course with a handful of putters and play a round with em. That would give me an oppurtunity to work on all types of shots. After doing this a few times here and there it improved my game tremendously. The putter can save you in many instances.
Buzzznation

Postby Eminem4president » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:15 pm

Buzzznation wrote:I wanted to learn to throw my putter for extra D. I would go out to the course with a handful of putters and play a round with em. That would give me an oppurtunity to work on all types of shots. After doing this a few times here and there it improved my game tremendously. The putter can save you in many instances.

well said
I don't "Owe You" like 2 vowels...

A million here, a million there...
Eminem4president

Postby karma27895 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:31 pm

tank i know your a good player but i was not necessiarly saying that i know all the flight charictaristics of all my discs i ve only been playin for 2 1/2 yrs but one of the top qc pros told me that and i works for me thats why i said no offense and imo or in my opinion so i appoligize if i insulted your talent truely
www.ironliondgs.com
burns lawncare and snow removal
mcmanus pub n grub
karma27895

Postby Eminem4president » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:45 pm

karma18 wrote:tank i know your a good player but i was not necessiarly saying that i know all the flight charictaristics of all my discs i ve only been playin for 2 1/2 yrs but one of the top qc pros told me that and i works for me thats why i said no offense and imo or in my opinion so i appoligize if i insulted your talent truely

It's all good, Do what works for you!
I don't "Owe You" like 2 vowels...

A million here, a million there...
Eminem4president

Postby Chase20460 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:42 pm

It also helps to throw the right putter for distance. Of course, any can be used, but most become unreliable after moderate driving use. I suggest one of these, but your results may differ:

KC Aviar
Wizard
Pro D

In my experiances, these are really the only worth using. Ive listened to both sides of the Rhyno battle, but Rhynos suck. Ive gotten alot better at any type of shot regarding a putter SINCE I dumped the Rhyno. A KC will keep the same stability as a Rhyno in the wind. I honestly believe the DX Aviar is an excellent short range approach disc, for about a week, but get tricky after some use due to them being more straight/stable.

For some good not-at-home practice, I go to Prospect and throw from 8s Tee to 4s Basket. Then from 4s Basket to 5s Teesign. From 5s Tee to 3s Basket, then I play hole 4. And Repeat....
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby Buzzznation » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:06 am

First Run Pro Aviar. I have been throwing the same one for over 3 years. It has some dings it, but it still fly's amazing. For long anhyzer's the Dx Aviar is the way to go. I got a Photon Glow Challenger recently and it feels and flys great. I struggle with changing my putter to Discraft though :lol:
Buzzznation

Postby Mount » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:53 am

wow have the first runs been out for 3 years allready? Man how time flies
Mount

Postby Birdman » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:54 am

actually it was really weird when i was in ottumwa last year on my state disc trip i found 2 in the walmart there at a nice reduced price of 7.99 a piece...so my first runs look like they are (almost) new.
The real excitement is playing the game.
Birdman

Postby Birdman » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:00 am

Frolfking7 wrote:actually it was really weird when i was in ottumwa last year (almost) new.

correction....last may
The real excitement is playing the game.
Birdman

no question about it

Postby OU812_LukeS » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:12 am

After not being able to throw putters or midranges off the tee for the two years I've been seriously playing, I discovered I was throwing with all heave and almost no spin on the disc, and so I have for the last few weeks just been practicing pretty much exclusively throwing Wizards back and forth, crosswinds, headwinds, whatever, just fighting to keep the disc stable with the proper amount of spin applied to it.

I can't believe it took me this long to figure that out, but better late than never. I haven't touched a driver in a few weeks but I imagine my drivers will eventually fly better and more consistent as a result of concentrated practice teeing off with putters.

Had the same problem with midranges, too, all except the most overstable of them.
"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
OU812_LukeS

Postby Mad Max » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:46 pm

I have a Roc and a Buzz, but I think I need either a different mid-range or the ability to use a putter better. Opinions?

I just don't seem to be able to get real close on my second shot.
Mad Max

Postby MDR_3000 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:30 pm

Mad Max wrote:I have a Roc and a Buzz, but I think I need either a different mid-range or the ability to use a putter better. Opinions?

I just don't seem to be able to get real close on my second shot.

play a lot of catch with your putters.
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby Ferch » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:52 am

Playing catch is the way to learning a great fan grip.
Ferch

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:59 am

thats going to take some time, max, but the efforts by many to play w/ just a putter - give it a try - should increase the likelihood you'll get a lot better w/ your approaches.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Mad Max » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:49 am

Thanks for the advice, was afraid I would have to just keep playing....

:P
Mad Max

Previous

Return to Throwing Technique