EDGE and the Iowa Tour

Information about the Iowa Tour.

Moderator: shane

EDGE and the Iowa Tour

Postby Yeti » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:01 pm

Thanks to the disc golfers of Iowa and Illinois for helping make the EDGE Tournament Charity Program a huge success. This year the EDGE TCP increased to 75 participating tournaments and has raised over $15,000 with a few tournaments left to report! :D

Iowa and Illinois tournaments raised about $1,500 in 2009 and EDGE has granted out $1,700 to programs in the two states this year:

--Boone County (VERB Summer Program)
--Ames County (VERB Summer Program)
--Dallas County (VERB Summer Program)
--Western Dubuque CCSD (Drexler Elem)
--Newton, IA (Berg MS)
--Pontiac, IL (Pontiac HS)

Thank-You Disc Golfers of the Iowa Tour and the Peoria Open!
Yeti

Postby Yeti » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:14 pm

Congratulations to the Iowa Tour who was the 2009 EDGE TCP raffle winner of the EDGE Package to a school or youth program of choice!

Now we need to find a good fit for this package as well as other great opportunities for EDGE TCP Iowa grants.

BUT, before everyone starts listing off their local school know that it is far easier to get disc golf into school's or youth programs when there is a teacher or youth leader that already plays or is very familiar. That and they need to want to teach this great lifetime activity, but that is the easy one.

Case in point: I have tried for a year to set up the city of Colfax as they have a very nice disc course right by the school. However, the teachers are open to teaching it, but have no real background or experience. No teacher likes teaching subject material that is unfamiliar to them. This has caused some reluctance or low priority for them even when offered free equipment.

That said, if you have some REAL leads on good fits at schools, camps, church groups or any other youth related organizations we can begin to get them set-up.

You can send leads with contact information to Reading at edgediscgolf dot org.
Yeti

Postby Like_Water » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:28 pm

Eddie McCulley > Hiatt.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Yeti » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:43 pm

If any TD's or leaders would like to participate in this great grass roots Tournament Charity Program in conjunction with your Ice Bowl, sanctioned or non-sanctioned event please visit:

http://www.edgediscgolf.org/files/EDGE_Tournament_Charity_Info.pdf
Yeti

Postby Chase20460 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:05 pm

Whatever happened to the EDGE package?
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby shane » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:33 pm

Well I spoke with Yeti and were going to do three packages. The main package I believe will be going to drum roll please

TJ and Kari Nydle if everything works out. Here is their story as told to me and referred by Chase.

She works at St. Paul's the Apostle Catholic School here in the QC(Davenport,IA). It is K-8th grade and has roughly 450 students.

Kari and I started a disc golf club last year for 7th and 8th grade and had about 40 student participate, including an end of the year tournament that had about 21 students in attendance. We had practice 3 times a week and plan on the same thing this year.

Kari also did a traveling league during the summer, ever week she did a different course for the whole summer. About 20-30 students participated in that as well.

We plan on having another big year this year, unfortunately everything has to come out of pocket for the students. I provided the baskets for practice and Kari, myself and a few other QA disc golfer volunteered our time. But the tournament and equipment was all out of pocket for the students.

We will also be helping Tom Cremer who is working with a nature reserve by Ottumwa and we are also looking into Hiatt school here in Des Moines to see if it's a fit or not.

TJ if you're out there give me a buzz.
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby nydle28011 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:23 pm

pm sent shane :)
Go Big or Go Home!
Team Iron Lion
www.ironliondgs.com
2012 Iowa Team Champions
nydle28011

Postby Sniper26 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:24 pm

Congrats to The Nydle family on their hard work.
Sniper26

Postby Detra319 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:15 pm

Sounds like a great cause....good job Nydle family!
Detra319

Postby KePP » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:07 am

Nydle's rock! Don't forget to hit me up for a place to rack during the Memorial, TJ.
KePP

Postby Lou Siffer » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:12 pm

Great job, TJ and Kari!

What an awesome way to help kids feel good about themselves while doing something you love.
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Return to Iowa Tour