Nice Course

Postby Cydisc » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:02 pm

eddiemac wrote:This course is teetering on my favorite course and my least favorite.

That's the most honest and succinct assessment of the course that I've heard. It also most closely resembles my own.

I've played the course a total of two times. Both rounds being the Iowa Games tournament. Obviously, the course was in the best shape it's ever been, with all of the stream crossings intact and everything mowed (for the most part). If it's anywhere less than the shape it was in for that weekend I won't play it.

The course is incredibly fragile right now. The slightest rise in the creek will wipe out the crossing on #8 and the maintenance is heavily dependent on volunteers. The good thing is that there is some buzz about the course that will show the powers in Boone that it's worth putting a little extra effort into it.

The concrete is coming.

New signs are on the way (though the temp stencil idea is a good one).

Directional signage is in the offing.
Cydisc

Postby bman12449 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:11 am

Keep up the great work guys.I have been up there every weekend since IA games, and I freakin love this place it does have it minor problems that Steve and Eddie pointed out. I have seen all of the Dsm Courses from install to there current state and if you stay up on maintaining it this place will be a gem. The rough can be a bear now but i bet after a couple years it will get trampled down nicely.

Thanks again for the great work and i can't wait to go up there next weekend.
bman12449

Postby Disclover » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:38 pm

Okay holes 3-11 are labeled for experts and i did not want to be labeled a rec. player. 8)
Hole #3 is a dangerously stupid hole ,but if you park it , it can be a rush.
Hole #6 is a scenic joy ride by the water treatment plant. one bad skip, bounce and you are looking for your favorite plastic in a mix of loose boulders, concrete pieces and thorn bushes. i was lucky to find mine.
Hole # 7 snakes through 2 small water crossings. instead of using the tradional driver and putter , i used a succession of my most accurate mid range to traverse the path to the basket and just used my roc to finish out the hole, four roc shots in a row. :lol:
Hole #10 is trouble because you are not throwing across water ,but actually throwing right into a big stream. wet shoes= no fun. The course has been described as fragile due to all the water. So you thought it was never going to rain down there. Hello, After this, i met some type of bridge, but due to my wet and muddy shoes elected to walk around again.
When you play Mchose bring extra water and food , bug spray ,discs that you don't mind losing, first aid kit ,cell phone for 911 and a trash bag.
Those experts should know better but they leave their cans throughout.
Finally getting the top of the park, ( where all the holes should have been in the first place) Ahh fresh air, breezes and less bugs etc.
The boone park keeps its "fairways" in wonderful, rolling condition. all
experts should know how to roll IMO. I like the idea of the par four or five on the course and positioning your drive and fairway drive for the approach.
After this 3 hour marathon, i felt like unwinding and relaxing at an easy course like ewing or pickard.
Disclover

Postby Cydisc » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:52 pm

Disclover wrote:Okay holes 3-11 are labeled for experts

You were warned.
Cydisc

Postby ghstinshll » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:31 pm

Ok... The excitement is building, and I will try to make it through McHose next Thursday afternoon, around 3:30 I bet. Any takers for a round?
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:43 pm

ghstinshll wrote:Ok... The excitement is building, and I will try to make it through McHose next Thursday afternoon, around 3:30 I bet. Any takers for a round?

you better have a guide....or a good map. Not fun to play for the first time without knowing the course, FYI.
GDL17921

Postby ghstinshll » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:49 pm

That's what I figured... I thought I'd print out the few explainations of the holes from the forums, and other than that, I'm not sure. I'm counting on a guide. *praying, actually*
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby claring » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:28 pm

PM Cydisc and see if he can hook you up with a map
claring

Postby ghstinshll » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:46 pm

thanks, I was thining of that. Steve's gotta troll this thread as much as me in Norwlak, right? LOL :wink:
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Cydisc » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:08 pm

course map

I can't get away today but I might try to play that tournament on Sunday.
Cydisc

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:50 pm

Ok, I'm heading North from Norwalk. I have my maps. If anyone wants to join: 515-205-1826
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:26 pm

...Standing on hole 5 pad, debating disc/shot...

Steve, you MUST HATE disc golfers! LOL

#3 - toughest par 3 I ever had.

REQUIRED for playing here:

Long pants
Bug spray
Hat
Harness
Biners
Rope
GPS
ANKLE SUPPORT

(Sense of Humor!!!)

Great job so far Steve n company!
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:23 am

Ok, I'm not going to review how great each hole was, or etc, but wanted to say I got my ASS KICKED, and pretty much loved it!

Let's see, hyper-extended my elbow, tweaked a wrist, took a tip of a branch springing back & slapping me on the eyeball (closed my eye tho - feels like a black eye), and slipped on a slippery clay slope & landed square on my hip.

Oh yeah, I second having ankle support, for al lthe rough terrain, rocks, and potential ankle tweaks along the way.

I think Hole 4 was my favorite rip on the course... Putting a Z Buzz out there, sprinting so I could track it, watching it hyzer right in front of the tree line & land bottom=right in the landing zone was pretty sweet! Thumber to get to the basket area, upshot, and drop-in made for a nice feel!

Not sure how much I agree w/ the sewer pond to throw over... There's NO chance of going after the star orange wraith I hit a little branch with & lost.

Hole 6: Need some kind of safety ladder to climb down to the ravine if you lose something there. I watched a guy climb down there, then upon climbing back up, the rocks kept giving way to the bottom of the ravine. Discs will go there, and there's definitely danger involved. Temp creek crossings are decent for now, but I hope the city does something better for the long term. Also, the tree bridge - scary.

Overall, I loved the course, though it kicked my ass. I think that if the city were able to keep on the course, opening it up a bit, with trails & signage, bridges, etc, it'll shape up to be a wonderful course. Right now it's pretty rough & needs fine tuning (& safety concerns taken care of)

Scored a 71, w/ 3 deuces. #s 7&8 got me bad. Shoulda used my putter, in a LOT of circumstances where I didn't...
8) 8)
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Sidearm » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:23 pm

I played a round at Boone near the end of October & was amazed/impressed/moved by the foliage on the "down under" part of the course. The walk through the woods as I played holes 7-11 was worth the drive itself! Even though the water was high, I didn't get my shoes wet even once (stayed on the left side of the creek on hole #9 the entire way). Sure, the course is a little rough, but I am a relative newcomer to the Des Moines area & have played waaaaaay too many "soccer-field" courses since I started playing. I love this course & plan on playing it more often in the future.
Sidearm

Previous

Return to Boone - McHose Park