revamping

Postby Abe Froman » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:58 am

the definitive tree on #13 that made that hole is gone. some ass clown came out there and cut that focker out of the picture. now it's an easy fairway. after i saw that we played a 2nd round and i noticed about 10 or so other smaller trees that were hacked out. what the Chuck is wrong with people.
Abe Froman

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:19 am

2nd coming of Opie :?: :twisted:
Wildcat Bluff Crew Member
Budhyzer 17696

Postby AO » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:57 pm

I cut down the trees which people have hung on, twisted, and are killing. I did not cut the tree on 13 as I was at the course Monday the 20th and the tree was down the other week. I also cut out the trees that were only waste high stubbs and cleaned up around the greens. Shaver hasn't been kept up for awhile now and if you would like I will walk through the course and explain why I cut each specific tree. I cut nothing that was still living, just eye sores.........
AO

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:52 pm

projectpuffindiscman wrote:the definitive tree on #13 that made that hole is gone. some ass clown came out there and cut that focker out of the picture. now it's an easy fairway. after i saw that we played a 2nd round and i noticed about 10 or so other smaller trees that were hacked out. what the Chuck is wrong with people.

Like I said before it had fallen, and someone just came out and finished it, read prior posts.
frogawitdafizzle

Postby AO » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:05 pm

I am going to the city sometime this week to see if the course can get "flipped." I played again today.....not that much fun. Prob why I only went there 4 times this year. There is tons of land and options not utilized at Shaver. I'm sure I will be told no but what the heck. The land is just as good as Wildcat if not better and you need 4 discs to play the course. Shaver is like going to a restaurant, being offered a 12 oz T-bone for $10, and you order Spam.
AO

Postby The Donator » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:57 am

[quote="AO"]I am going to the city sometime this week to see if the course can get "flipped." I played again today.....not that much fun. Prob why I only went there 4 times this year. There is tons of land and options not utilized at Shaver. I'm sure I will be told no but what the heck. The land is just as good as Wildcat if not better and you need 4 discs to play the course. Shaver is like going to a restaurant, being offered a 12 oz T-bone for $10, and you order Spam.[/quote]
Hope you polished off your last beer after this :lol:
There are only three bad, possibly four on this course. 7-9 and imo #11. 11 is just too ridiculous of a window esp with the trees overhanging basically the pad on the left side. But I completely agree with the lack of land being used...this could be a world class course including some Akita's Run elements (hole #8 and #9 down there) and some simple trimming.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby AO » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:42 am

lol...maybe. There are a few bad holes but I just think Shaver could have a spectacular course. The city won't allow any other parks or places to build a nice course. So why not work on one that has TONS of options, land, and elevation?
AO

Postby Single L » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:05 am

AO wrote:The city won't allow any other parks or places to build a nice course.

If you’re City resources / land are dried up try working with the State and County Parks. They usually have more land and are easier to work with. I could see a course at ......

Morgan Creek Park - Linn County
Squaw Creek Park - Linn County
Pleasant Creek State Park (Palo) - Iowa DNR
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:21 am

I think Morgan Creek has been looked into and rejected at one time.

Squaw Creek has some land by highway 13 with rows of trees that definately would define some fairways but I believe I heard that they are putting in a dog park. (The dogs rate better then disc golfers in these parts :roll: )
The area I'm thinking about is really flat and marshy when it rains though.

Pleasant Creek would be the best location for a course in this area.
I actually designed an 18 hole layout on the north side of the dam that utilized a pavilion that hardly gets used.
The best area IMO would be on the south side utilizing the lake, open land and some timber.
It could be a disc golf haven if we could get permission to persue.
I may just look a little deeper into it. :wink:

Maybe if I get Benton County to talk to the DNR about Wildcat Bluff and how positive that has been..... :idea:
Wildcat Bluff Crew Member
Budhyzer 17696

Previous

Return to Cedar Rapids - Shaver Park