Forehand throwing

Learn to throw from local experts.

Forehand throwing

Postby puppetmaster » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:28 am

I have a good forehand throw (I THINK) except for trying to get it to (S). Question is, how do people hold their disc to get a nice (S) out of a forehand throw. I throw with 2 fingers under the disc, wide apart if I want a weak throw and bearly apart for a good streight bomb. I am getting a whippet soon because I hear they are the best for the (S) and a forehand throw. Rusty in Indinola has one of the best (S) I have ever seen.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
puppetmaster

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:56 am

Release it a little higher with some anhyzer on it Gary. So when it comes out of your hand the edge of the disc that's away from your hand should be higher than the edge that your hand was on. That make any sense? :lol:
GDL17921

Postby Buzzznation » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:35 am

GDL5000 wrote:Release it a little higher with some anhyzer on it Gary.

:lol: :lol:
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Re: Forehand throwing

Postby Buzzznation » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:36 am

puppetmaster wrote: Rusty in Indinola has one of the best (S) I have ever seen.

I call. You need to take this to the Grant Weaver thread.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:07 pm

i have a good forehand throw

Bullshit.... :lol: Just kidding, but seriously....

w/ the S - doesn't that mean you just need anny, on an overstable disc? I think you have the plastic - not sure u need a whippet - jsut need to practice/learn the line is all?

You'll have to check out Brett Large's sidewarm w/ the star Boss. that guy can hit any gap w/ it, and work the S really well.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby puppetmaster » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:07 pm

Come on Jason, I was asking people that know how to throw a forehand shot. Not someone that watches me throw them :wink:
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
puppetmaster

Postby freburg36625 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:28 am

overstable plastic is the key to a good S shot but you should consider hyzer flipping some stable to understable plastic for some really good D also try getting those fingers stacked tight together for some more power
freburg36625

Postby puppetmaster » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:09 am

imhappy with my throw except for i cant get a s out of it. i have tryed to do what 4000 said but then all i end up doing is flipping it. with my fingers just apart i can get very easy 300 and i want to say alot more and my aim is right on. if i put my fingers together i have a heck of a time with control and not even close to the distancs
puppetmaster

Postby freburg36625 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:39 pm

what discs are you using to attempt these flex shots
freburg36625

Postby puppetmaster » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:49 pm

distroyer and monster are my main forehand disc followed by crush and gazelle, have tried about everything that I have but the first three are my main ones.
puppetmaster

Postby freburg36625 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:10 pm

thats a good start. you may need to go a touch more overstable though as you already stated. For really high speed and super beefy you may try a lighter weight star boss in the 167-169 range. try a pink z predator(newest run) to replace the monster, those things are freakish. for fairway drivers I just recenctly started throwing champ banshee's and they can handle all kinds of power and anhyzer angles
freburg36625

Postby bergdawg » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:42 pm

Go to more overstable discs. You're not going to need to change your throwing style and get the "s" out of the disc. Also, do what works for you. There's no right way to throw or hold the disc, it just takes time and practice.
bergdawg

Postby bergdawg » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:56 pm

*understable
bergdawg

Postby puppetmaster » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:21 pm

played around today at Ankeny and watched a few other throw s forehand shots and Im starting to think that Im expecting to much, I can get it to do the s but not for the long shots. maybe I just need to slow down.
puppetmaster

Postby Sidearm » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:31 am

In order to throw maximum distance using my sidearm "s" shot, I have to throw the disc higher. If I throw it too low, I don't give the disc enough time to "s" or "flex". Grant Weaver does a nice job of this on hole #13 at Ewing & I've also seen him throw it pin-high on hole #8 at Big Creek using an X-Cal. I've also had quite a bit of success using a Star X-Cal for long distance "s" shots, but, within reason, any disc will do. IMHO, angle of release, snap, arm speed & the heighth of your throw (trajectory?) are far more important than what disc you pull out of the bag.
Sidearm

Next

Return to Throwing Technique