Letting things go

Learn to throw from local experts.

Letting things go

Postby johnemus » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:54 am

I find that whenever I'm out playing and I have a bad hole, I let it really get to me and I cant just take that score and move on to the next hole. it stays with me and then I usually fall apart. i was just wondering how you guys stay calm and collected when things dont go your way.
johnemus

Postby THansenite » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:11 am

Just remember that you are throwing a funny colored disk at a basket with chains on it. Is it really anything to get worked up about? :P

Seriously though, I get a little irritated at my throws sometimes (especially as a beginner to the sport), but I just keep throwing. After I get done with the hole, I know there isn't anything I can do to change the score at this point, so what use is it getting upset about it? Just move on and start the next hole with a clean slate.
THansenite

Postby johnemus » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:17 am

i just find it hard, especially when I know I can throw so much better. For example at Big Creek last night, I took a 5 on a hole that I birdied 2 weeks ago. Its hard to just move on.
johnemus

Postby THansenite » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:32 am

I know what you mean. I am a new player, but yesterday at Centennial, I played a terrible first few holes. I didn't let it get to me and I did relitively well on the rest of the course. Each tee pad is a fresh start.
THansenite

Postby KePP » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:40 am

I listened to an audio CD that helped. The Golfer's Mind, by Dr. Bob Rotella.
KePP

Postby The Donator » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:50 am

KePP wrote:I listened to an audio CD that helped. The Golfer's Mind, by Dr. Bob Rotella.

If you do this ^^^ I would recommend bringing a pillow or two to the course as well
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby irban » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:04 am

johnemus wrote:i just find it hard, especially when I know I can throw so much better. For example at Big Creek last night, I took a 5 on a hole that I birdied 2 weeks ago. Its hard to just move on.

It takes a while to get over this expectation thing. You think you should always shoot your best on every hole. I used to figure out what my score would be if I put my best score for every hole together. That score is usually off the charts compared to your best actual round. Kind of puts it into perspective.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Re: Letting things go

Postby ghstinshll » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:09 am

johnemus wrote:I find that whenever I'm out playing and I have a bad hole, I let it really get to me and I cant just take that score and move on to the next hole. it stays with me and then I usually fall apart. i was just wondering how you guys stay calm and collected when things dont go your way.

I usually onload my bag from pt blank into the chains as hard as possible... :lol: :wink: j/k.

But, I learned from bowling as a kid not to let it go, but accept it as it is and move on... It's something that frustration can wear into you when you get tired of being frustrated about things.

When you have a round like that, sometimes pulling back to 80% will help you regain confidence as well.

Or, resort to a different shot, like rollers instead of working the anny.
##39027
ghstinshll

Re: Letting things go

Postby johnemus » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:18 am

ghstinshll wrote:
johnemus wrote:I find that whenever I'm out playing and I have a bad hole, I let it really get to me and I cant just take that score and move on to the next hole. it stays with me and then I usually fall apart. i was just wondering how you guys stay calm and collected when things dont go your way.

I usually onload my bag from pt blank into the chains as hard as possible... :lol: :wink: j/k.

But, I learned from bowling as a kid not to let it go, but accept it as it is and move on... It's something that frustration can wear into you when you get tired of being frustrated about things.

When you have a round like that, sometimes pulling back to 80% will help you regain confidence as well.

Or, resort to a different shot, like rollers instead of working the anny.

Thanks for callin me out the unloading the bag into the chains.... haha.

pulling it back sounds like a good concept, also hard to do, cuz at least with me, i push it to 110% effort to make up for it which never works haha.

I even tried resorting to a roller instead of anny last night, and that just got me deeper in the shit than any other shot I threw all night. haha
johnemus

Postby irban » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:19 am

What's even more frustrating is the difference between casual round and competitive round performance. For many like me, the difference is night and day. Don't beat yourself up comparing to past rounds. There's enough to worry about in this one.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby gretagun » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:18 pm

irban wrote:What's even more frustrating is the difference between casual round and competitive round performance. For many like me, the difference is night and day. Don't beat yourself up comparing to past rounds. There's enough to worry about in this one.

Man, I struggle with this all the time. My best rounds are always during casual play. League and tournaments I don't even come close.

One thing that has helped me with the frustration level is to just accept the fact that I will have good rounds and bad rounds. I used to think that every round I play should be better than the last, and would just get so damn mad when things went wrong. If I just accept the fact that things aren't going the way I'd like, and that it will be a "bad round", it's easier to stay cool and just enjoy it. Usually I end up doing better than I was anticipating.
"Got to sinking in the place where I once stood.
Now I ain't living like I should"
gretagun

Postby Beerman » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:10 pm

My 2 cents worth....

The most important shot is the next one. It's the only one you still have control of.
Beerman

get over it

Postby DLCdisc » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:01 pm

I find it easier to move on if I don't think about the good scores I have had there before. I think I play more aggressive in casual rounds which occasionally yeilds beter scores. I have the hardest time geting over it if it was an easy hole and the best scoring opportunities are behind me. Unless you are a touring pro, the best thing to do is remind yourself it beats the hell out of working!!
DLCdisc

Postby puppetmaster » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:19 am

Dont know how I missed this thread.

It helps to bring along alot of beer. Makes me shot worse normaly but what the hell, you dont remember it in the morning or the next time you play the course so there is nothing to get worked up about.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
puppetmaster

Postby Like_Water » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:09 pm

johnemus wrote:i just find it hard, especially when I know I can throw so much better. For example at Big Creek last night, I took a 5 on a hole that I birdied 2 weeks ago. Its hard to just move on.

First off you have expectations. Don't.

As Clue put it, you have to be dumb to be good. What you've done in the past is of zero importance now. Be in the moment, once it's over, there's nothing you can do about it.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Return to Throwing Technique