New DGC in "Forest City, Iowa "

New DGC in "Forest City, Iowa "

Postby Dale Jordal » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:40 pm

Forest City Disc Golf course offers a wide variety of terrain over the 21-basket course covering approximate 57 acres. Located just east of US Highway 69 in Pammel Park and adjoining East Woods Park (divided by the Winnebago River). The first ten poles have relatively flat terrain with a few trees but water is always around with several ponds and a river that all come into play. Cross the swinging bridge for Poles 11 thru 21 this portion of the course offers elevation changes and more trees including 5 fairways that go thru the woods.

Red Tees – 4,290’
White Tees- 6,120’
Blue Tees- 7,320’
Long 720’ ( flat open)
Short 145’ ( vertical uphill wooded)

How to get to FCDGC:
Coming from I-35 take exit 203 follow state highway 9 west approximaty 14 miles and the highway turns into a four lanes and you will see a Pamida sign at the top of the hill. Turn left (south) right before the Pamida sign, This is Golf Course Road and take it ½ mile to the 3-way stop. Turn right (west) on to J-street, cross over the bridge and turn left (south) to enter the park.

Coming from Highway 69 Turn east at the J-street traffic light. Then take the first right (south) to enter the park . Note if you crossed the bridge you have gone too far.

updated map (2011):

RECORDS

Low Round (21 poles Blue Tees): -9
Greg Schawarz, Minneapolis MN 9-5-09 Tree Town Open

Low Tournament Score (42 poles Blue Tees): -13
Chris Claring, Central Iowa 9-12-10

Low Round (21 poles White Tees): -6
Brian Voss Forest City, IA 9-15-09 League Night

Low Tournament Score (42 poles White Tees): +2
Chris Gorman (Belmond, IA) 5-8-10 Battle at the Bridge (NIT)

First Ace
Jim Politis ( Mason City, IA ) #8 White tee 260' June 15, 2010 League Night[/b]
Last edited by Dale Jordal on Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
FCDGC Home of the:
IA/MN Border Bash - (Iowa Tour Event)
Battle at the Bridge - (North Iowa Tour Event)
Forest City, Iowa
Dale Jordal

Postby claring » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:08 pm

Mikal and I played here today and talked to a Daniel who was very nice and gave us a course map and great directions around the course. There were 3 holes missing so we did not get to play all 21.

Daniel if you read this hear is what our thought were.

Hole 5 is the distance correct from the blue tee?
How do you play hole 6 from the long tee? It seems if you come up short you would never find your shot.
Hole 7 Blue looks like it would be a better shot if it was not up on the hill. This would also give a player room to run up.
Hole 10 does not seem safe playing so close to the play ground.
Hole 11 from the Blue/White tee seemed like there is no route to the hole.
Hole 14 there is no real shot at reaching the hole right now but it looks like you are clearing a path out through the woods. This would make it a good hole.
Hole 16 White tee also has no route to the pin. The blue and red were great holes.
Hole 17 could use some more trimming of the lower hanging branches.

A couple of my favorite holes out there were hole 7, 15, 16(blue or red), 3 blue.
I let go of mulligan early on hole 3 blue and hit the trees next to the bank and dropped in. If you find it or some one else does it is a yellow star monarch (KC worlds fund raiser)with the PDGA # 9931 on the back. I would REALLY like to have it back. give me a call 515.460.3767
Let us know when the course is finished as I would like to come back and play it again. :D
claring

Postby Single L » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:02 pm

claring wrote:Mikal and I played here today and talked to a Daniel who was very nice and gave us a course map and great directions around the course. There were 3 holes missing so we did not get to play all 21.

Daniel if you read this hear is what our thought were.

How do you play hole 6 from the long tee? It seems if you come up short you would never find your shot.
Hole 7 Blue looks like it would be a better shot if it was not up on the hill. This would also give a player room to run up.
Hole 10 does not seem safe playing so close to the play ground.
Hole 11 from the Blue/White tee seemed like there is no route to the hole.
Hole 14 there is no real shot at reaching the hole right now but it looks like you are clearing a path out through the woods. This would make it a good hole.
Hole 16 White tee also has no route to the pin. The blue and red were great holes.
Hole 17 could use some more trimming of the lower hanging branches.

A couple of my favorite holes out there were hole 7, 15, 16(blue or red), 3 blue.
I let go of mulligan early on hole 3 blue and hit the trees next to the bank and dropped in. If you find it or some one else does it is a yellow star monarch (KC worlds fund raiser)with the PDGA # 9931 on the back. I would REALLY like to have it back. give me a call 515.460.3767
Let us know when the course is finished as I would like to come back and play it again. :D

Tyler and I played this on our way to the Majestic ............ review later ........ need to drink Surly now :D
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Dale Jordal » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:29 pm

claring wrote: ....snip ....

Yes 720'
claring wrote:How do you play hole 6 from the long tee? It seems if you come up short you would never find your shot.

#6 fairway is not done.... there now is a sign on the blue tee directing people to use the alternate tees marked on the walking path.
claring wrote:Hole 7 Blue looks like it would be a better shot if it was not up on the hill. This would also give a player room to run up.

In the coming weeks (months if it keeps raining) there will be a 12' tee pad on top of the hill with plently of follow thru space in front. Hopefully next time your back you will see a retaining wall in place and a level tee pad to throw from.
claring wrote:Hole 10 does not seem safe playing so close to the play ground.

That was a concern as well however the playground does not get used often. My other thought was to tees placed far enough away so that the first shot would fall short of the playground for most blue players - I think the blue tee is 450' from the first equipment (slide). Then the second shot hopefully would be played east of the playground and west of the river.
claring wrote:Hole 11 from the Blue/White tee seemed like there is no route to the hole.
The original plan was to throw over the ball golf tee pad (only use a few times a year) between the two big trees, however this pole will be straighen out and you will get a good view of the basket from elevated ground ( near the ball golf tee pad - our #11 and the ball golf tee # will be next to each other.
claring wrote:Hole 14 there is no real shot at reaching the hole right now but it looks like you are clearing a path out through the woods. This would make it a good hole.

Yes you are correct. I hope to permision to go thru the woods it will give you another option, It will improve the pole if that can happen. If not the pole is birdieable, but if you catch a tree along the way its at least a three.
claring wrote:Hole 16 White tee also has no route to the pin. The blue and red were great holes.

We play from the white tees on Wednesday night league and many of the players can and do shoot thru the gap. I do not as I layup shot of the bridge and the throw to the basket (ohter than last Wednesday I was under the bridge - 5 more feet and I would have shot the gap ) - I kind of like these three tee locations as each one take a different angle and approch to the basket.
claring wrote:Hole 17 could use some more trimming of the lower hanging branches.

Agree - it's on the to-do-list

claring wrote:A couple of my favorite holes out there were hole 7, 15, 16(blue or red), 3 blue.

Thank you - I welcome all comments - we still have time to tweak the course and my goal is to make it as good as possiable. I've implemented many suggestions over the laest couple years and hopefully we will end up with a good challanging corurse as well as one a rec player could play and enjoy from the red tees.

If your yellow star monarch turns up I will get it to you.

Thanks again

Dale
FCDGC Home of the:
Forest City, Iowa
Dale Jordal

response

Postby dsmeyer » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:28 am

I just got your message, but I think Dale answered most of them. Thanks for playing and your comments. As we come closer to finishing the course, all of your concerns will be addressed. If you have nay additional comments let me know.
Dan
dsmeyer

Some Tee Pads

Postby dsmeyer » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:46 pm

Well, after waiting for 7 or 8 weeks due to rain, we finally got to pour some tee pads today. We got red, white, and blue on 12. As well as the Blue on five and the white/blue on 2. (They were all near the road.) Hopefully the weather will cooperate and more will be poured soon.
dsmeyer

Postby Dale Jordal » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:36 am

Historic day

FCDGC Home of the:
Forest City, Iowa
Dale Jordal

Postby Dale Jordal » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:04 pm

Good News!
The park board has given us permission to use parts of the woods that were off limits to us. Look for new poles thru the woods on #19 & #20 next year.
FCDGC Home of the:
Forest City, Iowa
Dale Jordal

Postby Peil » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:41 pm

That's awesome Dale. Can't wait to see the new holes.
Peil

Postby Dale Jordal » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:09 pm

Peily wrote:That's awesome Dale. Can't wait to see the new holes.

Me too ... I haven't seen them yet ....but I know they are in there some where just waiting to be found. Once the leaves fall I will be hiking all over thru the woods trying to find them. Hope to find a nice dogleg with some elevation changes, and who knows what else may turn up.
FCDGC Home of the:
Forest City, Iowa
Dale Jordal

Postby Conrad 37988 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:33 pm

This is a great course. We played it after the Northwood Open today, and Dale showed us around. I must say I am impressed with the course and what Dale is doing at Forest City DGC.

If you are up North I recomend giving this course a shot.
Conrad 37988

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:49 am

what's up with the hanging basket? Couldn't find a tee that played to it, just a decoration? :lol:
GDL17921

Postby Dale Jordal » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:50 pm

GDL17921 wrote:what's up with the hanging basket? Couldn't find a tee that played to it, just a decoration? :lol:

Decoration for now .... it used to be #20 only 200' ........ however we now have a new #19 & #20 thru the woods just east of those baskets. We will be offering a 27 pole loop for the advance players ( maybe in 2011 ) and then that hanging basket will be pole labeled 20F and will be the 6th "extra basket for the blue tee players who want to play 27 -vs- 21 poles. The new poles will most likely follow 10A over the Winnebago River from Pammel Park (tee) across the river & swinging bridge to East Woods (basket), then we will have 16B, 16C, and 16D all located in North Woods. Then after pole 20 we will have 20E & 20F in East Woods
FCDGC Home of the:
Forest City, Iowa
Dale Jordal

Postby AO » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:36 pm

Nice course. Good selection of shots and elevation. Blue is definitely harder than the white layout
AO

Postby Dale Jordal » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:01 pm

AO wrote:Nice course. Good selection of shots and elevation. Blue is definitely harder than the white layout

Thanks Adam... the Blue tees were put in for you and the other Pro and Advance players. The White tees were designed for the Intermediate player, and the Red for Recreational, Beginner, and real old guys that don't throw white anymore. Hopefully all ages and skill level players can enjoy this course.

Shot selection was even more varied prior to woods being cleared a couple years ago...too bad you did not see the back eleven when all the trees and bushes were there ... it was more challanging and gave you even more shot options. Hopefully time will fix part of that.
FCDGC Home of the:
Forest City, Iowa
Dale Jordal

Return to Forest City - DGC