Course still living?

Postby Detra319 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:31 am

I might have to come down and see what this is like with mowed fairways. This course was a ton of fun to play last time, cleared fairways will be even better!
Detra319

Postby AO » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:53 pm

I played yesterday. Ok at best. Lot's of bugs, neddles, and the overall condintions just aren't very good. To many ninja trees/branches on 3-10 imo too.
AO

Postby jnecessary » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:18 am

AO wrote:I played yesterday. Ok at best. Lot's of bugs, neddles, and the overall condintions just aren't very good. To many ninja trees/branches on 3-10 imo too.

Most of the work done this year has been reactionary and not maintenance...flood fixing and wind storm recovery have taken the bulk of time put in.

Hopefully we will have a tournament scheduled for early spring and we'll get the course in top shape by then!
jnecessary

Postby AO » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:46 am

I would like to help during the work nights but I usually work 2nd shift and if I ever got the ok with a chainsaw I would do a TON of cutting. Frog is talking about the PP tournament their this fall.
AO

Postby jnecessary » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:25 pm

AO wrote:. Frog is talking about the PP tournament their this fall.

approximate date? this might be a good way to get the ball rolling on some hard core course work
jnecessary

Postby AO » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:35 pm

I have no idea. November sometime?
AO

Postby Captain » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:03 pm

AO wrote:I have no idea. November sometime?

I think it's Oct 25th. Sunday, doubles.

I talked to Frog a couple of weeks ago and that's what he said.
Captain

Postby jnecessary » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:43 pm

Captain wrote:
AO wrote:I have no idea. November sometime?

I think it's Oct 25th. Sunday, doubles.

I talked to Frog a couple of weeks ago and that's what he said.

PP is gonna be a doubles event this time?
jnecessary

Postby prodiscgolf » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:18 pm

If you remember some of my posts during the installation efforts, we cut minimally to see how the fairways go. We may need some more trimming, but I'm not going to let the Peninsula look like a Hiawatha type course. If you've seen the amount of trees that have fallen in the last year, you'd understand that we have to let the trees that line the fairways stand or as the old large trees fall over, there won't be any obstacles out there. We have begun widening fairways where it seems necessary and I'd be happy to entertain suggestions, but what makes the Peninsula interesting is the variety of shots required to traverse the course. I want to get the baskets moved one of these days...
prodiscgolf

Postby jnecessary » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:26 am

prodiscgolf wrote:If you remember some of my posts during the installation efforts, we cut minimally to see how the fairways go. We may need some more trimming, but I'm not going to let the Peninsula look like a Hiawatha type course. If you've seen the amount of trees that have fallen in the last year, you'd understand that we have to let the trees that line the fairways stand or as the old large trees fall over, there won't be any obstacles out there. We have begun widening fairways where it seems necessary and I'd be happy to entertain suggestions, but what makes the Peninsula interesting is the variety of shots required to traverse the course. I want to get the baskets moved one of these days...

During a round last week Luke put some oil in the locks so it shouldn't be too difficult to move em around. I think we should stretch the holes on the back side to longs. I'm not going to be throwing this week so I may be able to get out there and trim up around the other pin locations that haven't received any attention from the mowers.

Are we leaving the long location where it is on 15? If so I'll try to clean up around there.
jnecessary

Postby IHearChains » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:45 pm

AO wrote:I would like to help during the work nights but I usually work 2nd shift and if I ever got the ok with a chainsaw I would do a TON of cutting. Frog is talking about the PP tournament their this fall.

No chainsaw needed for clearing nettles!
:D
IHearChains

Postby AO » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:55 pm

prodiscgolf wrote:If you remember some of my posts during the installation efforts, we cut minimally to see how the fairways go. We may need some more trimming, but I'm not going to let the Peninsula look like a Hiawatha type course. If you've seen the amount of trees that have fallen in the last year, you'd understand that we have to let the trees that line the fairways stand or as the old large trees fall over, there won't be any obstacles out there. We have begun widening fairways where it seems necessary and I'd be happy to entertain suggestions, but what makes the Peninsula interesting is the variety of shots required to traverse the course. I want to get the baskets moved one of these days...

Would never want it to be like Hiawatha nor would it ever come close to being that wide open. I love playing courses that have tight but "fair" fairways. It seems like drives often get knocked down 275-350 off the tee after hitting the initial gap. AND there are saplings/small trees on almost every green except #1 on the front which potentially stop bad shots and or good shots.
AO

Postby prodiscgolf » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:51 am

We'll continually monitor the fairways to decide what's healthy and what needs to be removed to ensure the long-term enjoyment of the course. Then, when we have time and resources, we will make adjustments where appropriate. If we were to have more frequent floods like last year, even I wouldn't predict that all those trees will be there in the future.

As for sapplings/trees/bushes on greens, that's part of disc golf. I don't believe that the 10 meter putting surface should be free of trees. They're obstacles, just like on the fairways. I'm sure there have been discussions about this topic elsewhere. From what I saw in Camden II (referenced because it's similar to Peninsula's holes in question) they have similar small trees within the 10 meters and no one has complained about that to my knowledge. It's another factor having to be considered off the tee - what line will allow me to land near the basket to have an unobstructed putt.
prodiscgolf

Postby AO » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:12 am

Sorry if I'm coming off as complaining...just trying to offer suggestions on what I think is a fair fun course.
AO

Postby prodiscgolf » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:39 am

Had fun throwing with Jimmy & Luke last night. Shot a 50! Missed 5 makable putts also (only one 4 on #4).

We started moving some of the basekets around (#18 & #10). #1's flange is bent and we couldn't get the lock off. Luke & Jimmy offered to try to fix it tonight and move some more baskets. The mowing looks a whole lot better. They've even mowed in the woods. The nettles are starting to lose their dark green color. It won't be long before they wilt away.
prodiscgolf

PreviousNext

Return to Iowa City - Peninsula Park