Callin all cooks - 5 gallon buckets

Moderator: peyton

Callin all cooks - 5 gallon buckets

Postby Nohr » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:05 am

Hey do you work in a kitchen? Does your restaurant get all kinds of crap in 5 gallon buckets?

I am looking for 2-3 buckets and lids. I hope to achieve the same type of mini basket that Greenwood and Train used to have.

Any way if you have access to this type of stuff let me know. Please please run them through the dish washer a couple times for me. Thanks a bunch.
Nohr

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:27 pm

they're not 5 gallon buckets, Dirty.
GDL17921

Postby Nohr » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:43 pm

what the hell are they then?
Nohr

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:06 pm

good question. Jeff Clark has figured it out though, I thought he said he got them from someone in the (backyard) pool business. He got a bunch of them, and borrowed one of my baskets so he could make a "prototype". Someone in Cedar Rapids made those two that I have, I think his name is Charlie Vicek or something like that, not sure on the sp of his last name. He would probably know, too.
GDL17921

Postby Nohr » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:55 pm

I am almost certain they are buckets. Any one who works in the food industry know what the hell i am talking about. You know the ones you get your pickles and KC brand BBQ sauce in.

A couple years back my father and I took some of these and tried to make them. They turned out ok and looked a lot like yours.

http://www.instructables.com/files/deri ... MEDIUM.jpg

Pretty sure the bottom of your mini basket is the top of the bucket (with the lid attached).

edit: welcome to Cedar Rapids Greenwood
Nohr

Postby irban » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:57 pm

My wife got a bunch of buckets from Hy Vee several years ago. They use them in the deli and bakery and toss them usually.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:24 am

Nohr wrote:I am almost certain they are buckets. Any one who works in the food industry know what the hell i am talking about. You know the ones you get your pickles and KC brand BBQ sauce in.

A couple years back my father and I took some of these and tried to make them. They turned out ok and looked a lot like yours.

http://www.instructables.com/files/deri ... MEDIUM.jpg

Pretty sure the bottom of your mini basket is the top of the bucket (with the lid attached).

edit: welcome to Cedar Rapids Greenwood

I didn't say they weren't buckets, I said they aren't the type of buckets you that you're thinking they are. Stop by next time you're in town and I'll show you. They are bigger on the top and smaller on the bottom. They are some kind of a commercial use chemical bucket.
GDL17921

Postby peyton » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:23 am

I have one at my house if you need to see it Dustin.
peyton

Postby SARG27044 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:35 am

I have several different size buckets for ya if your ever in town. Let me know. Do you prefer your buckets to smell like pickels, or frosting :? :)
SARG27044

Postby Abe Froman » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:56 am

or you could just go to the hardware store and pay 4 bux for a 5 gallon bucket that is brand new and clean. hmmmm
Abe Froman

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:59 am

I guess the part about "they're not 5 gallon buckets" got through to you about as good as when someone tried to give you good advice and told you not bother being a cubs fan, huh Stiers? :lol:
GDL17921

Postby Abe Froman » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:01 pm

mr nohr is somewhat adamant about his 5 gallon prophecy. if its just a mini basket go to the fukin hardware store and find something workable. sheesh,you're not slpitting atoms or enriching uranium for fuks sake
Abe Froman

Postby Nohr » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:54 pm

Jay when you go home tonight can you look and see if there are any manufacturing markings on there.

I think the only downside to using a standard 5 gallon bucket is that the top/bottom of basket will be the same diameter. It sounds like the ones that Jay has are a little smaller on top or bottom.

Basically what I want to do is. Cut top part of bucket off (with lid attached) this becomes the bottom of the basket. Cut the bottom of the bucket this becomes the top. Then slap a bunch of pvc through the middle/legs make some little chains and everything should be good.

I really do miss playing mini. Had a lot of fun times with 2 that Jay/Tony had.
Nohr

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:00 pm

Nohr wrote:Jay when you go home tonight can you look and see if there are any manufacturing markings on there.

I think the only downside to using a standard 5 gallon bucket is that the top/bottom of basket will be the same diameter. It sounds like the ones that Jay has are a little smaller on top or bottom.

Basically what I want to do is. Cut top part of bucket off (with lid attached) this becomes the bottom of the basket. Cut the bottom of the bucket this becomes the top. Then slap a bunch of pvc through the middle/legs make some little chains and everything should be good.

I really do miss playing mini. Had a lot of fun times with 2 that Jay/Tony had.

been there, done that, all I found was a big ass recycle triangle. You should check out Doug's, I'm assuming that the one he has is the same as my 2, being that they came from CR. You are correct, if you use a 5 gallon bucket, the basket part (the top of the bucket) will be too small.
GDL17921

Postby robizm » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:08 pm

mr nohr is somewhat adamant about his 5 gallon prophecy. if its just a mini basket go to the fukin hardware store and find something workable. sheesh,you're not slpitting atoms or enriching uranium for fuks sake

jaja
Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
pdga#: 17020 IQ: 47 quote: "Weather forecast for tonight : dark"
robizm

Next

Return to Cedar Rapids Club