We will be cleaning up the course.

Goals:

Remove dirt from around recently drilled holes

Cleanup some pins positons 2C, 12B, 12C, 13, 14C, 17

Move around all the baskets to the A positions

Please bring shovels, racks, saws, and a wheelbarrow if you can
DVS1

Postby KePP » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:15 pm

Someone has been puttin in some time to make this course look beautiful right now. I saw Clark's truck there today. Big thanks to those responsible, awesome work.
KePP

Postby ghstinshll » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:28 pm

someone has to clean up the fairways on a couple of th back 9 holes... :wink: j/k..
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Lou Siffer » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:51 pm

Tracey Lopez will be on hole 11 tonight at Middle after 6PM. Please help her out, if you can.

A decent weed eater is all you'll need. (Maybe some gloves). (Or beer).
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby Lou Siffer » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:43 pm

Got this from the Bettendorf Parks Manager this morning:

"We have started working on Tracey’s list and will keep working on it weather permitting. There are still some areas that are so wet we cannot get to them. We have made some temp bridges and doing some clearing.

Our chipper is in the garage so that is not available and I don’t know when it will be fixed. It has been in there for about a month. We have rented a grapple for our skid loader and a smaller chipper from K&K . I have seven staff working on it where we can get to that’s still not too wet.

We are cutting some weeds and brush today. We will start hauling some wood chips over tomorrow on hole #1.
Maybe spreading some of the wood chips we haul would be something volunteers could help with.

We have built some small bridges for some of the ravines that we will put in this week or next and some plywood sheets to go across some of the wet areas. We will keep plugging away on the list and get done what we can".
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Course clean up

Postby mountainmama » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:04 pm

With finally a full week of dry weather, the back 9 and hole 1 have dried up enough that the Parks crew was able to get out and make it look like a disc golf course again. In just 3 days they have been able to mow down fairways, clear dead trees and brush that fell during our many storms, and sprayed all that darn poison ivy and oak. Ivy should be wilting this weekend, mulch spread on hole 1, and a little more trimming will have it playing and looking great. The bridges should be up today or next week for easier crossing of those ravines that widened w/ the flooding. I took out donuts for the parks crew for their help, and if you see them make sure you thank them for their hard work.
I will be out Sat. after the IA game to do a bit more trimming on the back 9. Will have to move the baskets this week to tourney layout, too.
TraLo
"You can tell more about a person in an hour of play than a year of conversation." Plato
mountainmama

Postby Orange Guy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:29 pm

That's awesome what the Bettendorf Parks Dept. is doing. They really jumped all over it.
Orange Guy

Postby KePP » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:51 pm

:!: Huge props to Bettendorf Parks for steppin up big to host women from all around the country!
KePP

Postby Sniper26 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:00 pm

What layout will the baskets be in?
Sniper26

Postby Lou Siffer » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:16 pm

Yes, big props to the City of Bettendorf for really bumping it up a notch. Walked the course yesterday, and it's looking waaay better than it did before they got after it.

There is, however, a bit of work to be done to get it where it needs to be. Evan and I will be taking a tree down on hole 12 at 5:30 next Monday the 14th. If you can make it out to help, that would be fantastic.

As always, bring weedeaters, saws, loppers, gloves, and any other hand tools (oh, and beer) you think would be useful.

Sniper26 wrote:What layout will the baskets be in?
Baskets are in tournament layout right now, thanks to Jeff Clark and Joe Rodman. They got out the day I asked them, and got it done.
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby mountainmama » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:00 pm

Hole 1 still needs some work now that it has dried up a bit. Hole 12 needs a green area trimmed out around basket after tree gets cut up. Hole 13 needs trimmed up--they couldn't get the mower back there.

If time, a little trimming along #4--it's thick stuff.

Camden 2 looks great, so if people can focus on Middle this week that would be swell. Kudos to the gang out at C2 and C1!
"You can tell more about a person in an hour of play than a year of conversation." Plato
mountainmama

Postby Lou Siffer » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:08 am

Big thanks to everyone that came out to Middle tonight to do some cleanup!

I don't know if you know this, or not, but Evan Qualls is a total genius with a chainsaw. He dropped a HUGE hickory tree (with two massive trunks) that was hanging directly over the basket on 12. It was a work of art!

Thanks to newest club member, Josh Maxwell, for coming out and hauling some lumber, and to Dustin Oostendorp, Dustin Avery, and MDR for hauling wood and trimming the green.

Even though Lennythrowsdiscraft, and Wes didn't do any manual labor, they did bring beer, so it was totally ok.

Ooh, I almost forgot, Joe Rodman was out with a frickin' push mower, and totally shaved the left side of the fairway on hole 4. Amazing.
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby KePP » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:07 am

I was amazed last night by how nice this course looks! By far the best I have seen it. There are still a couple of areas to tackle, but a few devoted volunteer hours and this course will be pristine, hopefully for the remainder of the year.

Again - PROPS TO THE PARKS DEPT! And to the volunteers, but that's a thankless job, so work harder next time. I noticed you missed a few spots.
KePP

Postby Steady 26542 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:57 pm

Lou Siffer wrote:I don't know if you know this, or not, but Evan Qualls is a total genius with a chainsaw. He dropped a HUGE hickory tree (with two massive trunks) that was hanging directly over the basket on 12. It was a work of art!

Ooh, I almost forgot, Joe Rodman was out with a frickin' push mower, and totally shaved the left side of the fairway on hole 4. Amazing.

Yes, Evan rocks with a chainsaw! Joe also cleaned up Hole #1 with that same push mower. :shock:
Team Iron Lion
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
"Frisbees are a hobby; disc golf is a sport."
Steady 26542

Postby mountainmama » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:46 pm

Thank you all so much for your help w/ Middle. It has been quite a chore, and y'all came through for us!
Evan is a rock star!
And Joe, it sounds like I need to buy stock in Tecnu and Ivy Block after you taking on hole #1 with all that ivy!! I can't imagine how much you had to use before/after your work. You are also a rock star!!

TraLo
mountainmama

Next

Return to Bettendorf - Middle Park