Donate-to-play

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Postby Buzzznation » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:33 am

I always think that a party is a good way to raise money. Our disc golf club at WIU would throw a keg to raise money. Granted that is in a college atmosphere, but we could do something along those lines. In all of the fundrasing schemes that I have been a part of, which has been many (college baseball, college disc golf, to name a few) activities always seemed to work the best. We would have a baseball camp for kids indoors during the winter months and we raised a ton doing that. We were required to sell raffle tcikets at $2 a pop to win a trip to Las Vegas. That didn't do nearly as well. We also had to send 40 letters out to people asking to donoate money to the baseball program. No body responded except family members, if that.

To make a long story short, when you ask people to donate money, in my experience, the results aren't very good. When you ask people for money and give them a service (activite) in return the results are much greater.

The challenge in fundraising is getting people commited to taking a role. With that being said, I guess that is one positive of the drop box.

Does any one remeber the little league days when you had to go door to door and sell candy bars. Now that is fundrasing at its best.
Buzzznation

Postby 10up » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:09 pm

also, aren't there suggestion boxes at some of the Parks?? I don't think I've ever seen them used either, and I doubt anybody is going to give you money for something they aren't even prepared to bitch about.
10up

Postby Like_Water » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:22 pm

I don't see any negatives to having a donation box.

It might pay for itself even.

Holding tournaments to fund raise is reserved for the winter months, and alot more work than a donation box who will work 24/7 for us.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Buzzznation » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:42 pm

All I can picture is some bum or some punk kids from Southwoods working that donation box 24/7. And they would't be donating.
Buzzznation

Postby Like_Water » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:08 pm

Buzzznation wrote:All I can picture is some bum or some punk kids from Southwoods working that donation box 24/7. And they would't be donating.

I can make it vandal proof! Steel baby!
Like_Water

Postby daltonoutdoors » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:20 pm

I think the administration of the donation box would not be cost effective.

If we need money---I like the idea of organizing classes through adult and kid education programs, and/or summer camps.

I think I pay taxes and that should pay for the maintenance of our parks. However, I would be willing to pay and play in a fundraising event--all donations go towards maintenance of the courses in the City, County, or State--depending on how you organize it.
daltonoutdoors

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:48 am

Administration of the box would involve:

1. Somebody from the club being the "keymaster"
2. Collecting the cash once in while (monthly prior to the meeting) during a round.
3. Report cash collected and get it to Rick S. at the monthly meeting.

Just for arguements sake, how's that not "cost effective"?

One thing that has to be considered, is that the parks would probably have to approve us collecting cash for people to play in "their" park. One way to make this more appealing to them would be to:

Propose to turn over the administration of the box to the parks dept, and let them take the money, as an act of good faith. They could report to the DSMDG Club how much they receive annually, and it could be reported as a donation on our behalf.

I don't think that we'd need to have a box at every park, probably just the most used parks, like Grandview. Testing it there for a year or two would be a good test as to the cost effectiveness of the box itself at other courses. I'd guess that park usage was part of the rationalle for the box at Rosedale in KC. It's (or was) one of the most used DG courses in KC. I'm not sure about that stat now that Blue Valley and Cliff Drive are in.
GDL17921

Postby chappyfade » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:15 pm

A note on the Rosedale donation box:

I still think it's a good idea, but you have to build it sturdy. REALLY sturdy, and that means the lock, etc... The donation box at Rosey has been vandalized/burglarized a number of times. You really have to take money out of the box almost daily, or it's going to get it stolen. That's probably why haven't installed the donation boxes at Water Works or any of the other parks yet.

Chap
chappyfade

Postby Buzzznation » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:29 pm

chappyfade wrote:A note on the Rosedale donation box:

I still think it's a good idea, but you have to build it sturdy. REALLY sturdy, and that means the lock, etc... The donation box at Rosey has been vandalized/burglarized a number of times. You really have to take money out of the box almost daily, or it's going to get it stolen. That's probably why haven't installed the donation boxes at Water Works or any of the other parks yet.

Chap

I knew it. Proves my point.
Buzzznation

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:05 pm

Interesting, I did not know that. Thanks John.
GDL17921

Postby Red » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:04 am

These are all really good ideas and it's good to know people are thinking of how to make DG in DM sustainable in the long run. Fundraising will be part of the agenda in the next couple of Club meetings, so I'll make sure these ideas are included. Thanks!
There are no stupid questions. Just stupid people.
Red

Postby Like_Water » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:20 am

I still think it's a good idea, but you have to build it sturdy. REALLY sturdy, and that means the lock, etc... The donation box at Rosey has been vandalized/burglarized a number of times.

Not a problem. J&B has a very sturdy setup.

chappyfade wrote:You really have to take money out of the box almost daily, or it's going to get it stolen.
Chap

Is this a problem? if so, seems like a nice problem to have.
Like_Water

Postby chappyfade » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:56 am

Discwrangler wrote:

I still think it's a good idea, but you have to build it sturdy. REALLY sturdy, and that means the lock, etc... The donation box at Rosey has been vandalized/burglarized a number of times.

Not a problem. J&B has a very sturdy setup.

chappyfade wrote:You really have to take money out of the box almost daily, or it's going to get it stolen.
Chap

Is this a problem? if so, seems like a nice problem to have.

Rosedale's our most played course, and we've made some decent money out of the box. You have to make sure with your local P&R department that it's ok. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from putting in a donation box. I say "go for it", but be sure to empty it out at least a couple times a week , if possible.

Chap
chappyfade

Previous

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club