Red Rock Lake

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Red Rock Lake

Postby discgolfduval » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:54 am

Has anyone heard of a course thats apparently in the ground by Red Rock Lake? I ran into Lance Coles last night and he mentioned a course thats already in the ground there?
discgolfduval

Postby rightcunnin » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:41 pm

I played a very fun 9 hole course in Pella that is next to a lake. It maybe Lake Red Rock.
I'm sorry that the middle of my sentence interrupted the beginning of yours.
rightcunnin

Location: further out of my f-in mind than previously thought.

Postby shane » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:26 pm

Yeah John Latch helped with a design there. It's actually at Roberts Creek. i believe in upper part of the camping ground. Scott was it up on a hill. Roberts creek is to Red Rock like Big Creek is to Saylorville.
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby rightcunnin » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:10 pm

It was at Roberts. Not necessarily on a hill but you're thinking of the right area. When I went the campground was closed so I parked at the gate and walked in. Hole 1 is off the lower parking area. This would be a great place to camp and play disc all day and night. The course doesn't get close enough to the camp sites to be a bother.
rightcunnin

Postby Cydisc » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:24 pm

rightcunnin wrote:The course doesn't get close enough to the camp sites to be a bother.

I think you mean the other way around.
Cydisc

Postby Latch » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:48 am

shane wrote:Yeah Jon Latch helped with a design there. It's actually at Roberts Creek. i believe in upper part of the camping ground. Scott was it up on a hill. Roberts creek is to Red Rock like Big Creek is to Saylorville.

I actually wasn't involved with this design, it was a group of guys from Pella that handled it on their own. I had heard that it is kind of short, but in talking with the proj. mgr it sounds like the back 9 is going to be much longer. Here is a quote from their project lead:

"I will admit that the front nine holes ended up rather short, as a whole. To make up for this, most of the holes are fairly technical.....doglegs, indirect bending fairways, elevation changes, etc. There were a couple of holes that we tried to get permission to lengthen but the park ranger didn't want to see the tee pads moved any closer to the camping areas. Hopefully, once they see how much it is utilized, they will allow us to put in a secondary tee pad or two and create that variety on the front nine holes.

The other thing that is hopeful is that the back nine holes promise to be considerably longer. That should make for a nice change-up from the front nine to the back nine. I know that is one thing I enjoy about the golf course (ball golf) in Newton. When you play that course, you swear you got in the car after the front nine holes and drove to a different location for the back nine."

I did recently design a new 18 hole course at Pella Central College. The course starts at the big parking lot just east of the main soccer field. It co-exists with several practice fields and parts of the cross-country course, using the wooded buffer zones that follow the creek. It has a nice mix of short and technical shots, mid length and a few long holes.

I believe that it is mostly in the ground now, but will let you all know for sure so you can give it a try. Oh and don't forget to pick up some Dutch Letters at the Jaarsma Bakery when you're in town! :lol:

Jon
Happy Discing!
Latch

Postby rightcunnin » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:23 pm

Overall it was kinda short, but, it was really fun to play. They did a really nice job with pin positions and varied tee shots. I saw the sign that showed where the back 9 will be and it looks very cool.
Jon, the next time you talk with your contact, could you find out if it's o.k. to park at the gate and walk in. That's what i did when I played, mostly because I had driven out there specifically to play the course and didn't want to waste the trip. Thanks, Scott
rightcunnin

Postby spike » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:12 pm

Latch wrote:[I did recently design a new 18 hole course at Pella Central College. The course starts at the big parking lot just east of the main soccer field. Jon

As soon as we get the course completely in, we'll be making the big announcement. At this time, we have all the pads in the ground, as well as 9 baskets (scattered across the course). There are still six holes that need major tree hauling to make them playable, and no tee signs are up as of yet. However, we hope to have everything done in the next two months.

As I have been diagnosed with torn cartilage and a torn ACL, things might progress a little slower than hoped (surgery next week).... No biking until at least March, and no disc golf until June or July at the earliest :cry:

If you want more information on the course, e-mail me at pedrickd (at) central (dot) edu, and I'll be glad to give you an update.

Have a good holiday, and enjoy the weather for me... Dennis
spike

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club