Thoughts about the park itself

Postby Lou Siffer » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:20 am

Thanks for the sustained effort there, K.C., in spite of dwindling enthusiasm. The course really is awesome.

Look forward to the "christening" event.
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby MDR_3000 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:30 am

Who the hell is K.C.?
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby K.C. » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:28 pm

I, the hell, am K.C. .....

Park guy called today, said they are diggin' and puttin' in the remaining poles for the signs, and are going to hang them in the next couple days. Hope you enjoy. (Hole 17 will come soon, sorry for the hold-up.)

***within the next decade the course will be completely done......maybe***
K.C.

Postby IowaCharlie » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:55 am

I finally was able to play the whole course yesterday, and I must say that it is everything that I hoped that it would be. Job well done to all who worked on it! If there is anything else that needs to be done, PM me and I will do my best to make it. We moved to Clinton last year and are finally all settled in, so I have SOME free time available.

A few thoughts, after the coarse is officially opened, I think that all the holes with multiple baskets all be the same. Like all of them have the A position, or the B position. It is kind of confusing on the holes where one position is to the left, and the other to the right, and you cannot see either position from the tee. Also, hole #15=TOTALLY AWESOME!
IowaCharlie

Postby Nitsud » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:25 pm

Callaway and I played this course on Sunday and I've got to reiterate that the land this course is on is awesome. I'm convinced there is no better view of the Mississippi.

The second thing that caught my eye were the baskets. For those who don't know, (or haven't read K.C.'s post in this topic) the baskets are Gateway Titans. These baskets have 3 sets of chains and an extremely thick and wide bucket. They catch very well; neither Ben or I had any stupid spit outs during our round nor during practice. A few of the buckets were very loose and reminded me of the condition of some of the West Lake baskets sans rust. I'm guessing that is a poor welding job. My biggest complaint was the lack of numbers on the basket. Having a nickel with the numbers brightly painted is a must on a course with as many blind shots as this one has. I'm not sure if Gateway even has nickels for their baskets which is a real shame. With no markings, these baskets can be tough to spot, especially in the woods.

The tee signs are awesome. They look good and the design is well done. I could understand some confusion for anyone who has never played a course that has multiple pin placements and more than one tee pad. That is a very minor complaint and some basic reading comprehension should clear up any confusion to be honest. Some signs could be posted for the direction you need to go after holing out. 1 to 2 comes to mind, 4 to 5, 11 to 12 also.

The teepads work well. It seems that 3 and 16 still need one and 5 needs the other half oddly enough.

The condition of the course was an issue in some areas. The fairways were mowed, which is really important. This course has a few holes where a right handed backhand roller is the shot of choice. Ben and I threw a lot of these. It appeared that a tree fell right next to 2's basket. I have no idea how this basket wasn't demolished, the tree itself was pretty damn big. 2's green, 12's green, 17's green and fairway need to be bigger.

A few of the lines just weren't there on some of the holes. 15 from the long is a poke and hope. At the end of the flight, 12 becomes a poke and hope as well. 18's trees hang so low that a roller or a huge right handed poke and hope hyzer is the only way of getting to the basket in two.

I've heard a lot of complaints that is this course is left-friendly. It's true that if you are looking for balance, you won't find it here. A righty is going to need to bring a lot of shots. Rollers, flicks, anhyzers and slight turnovers are really important. However, those shots should be within every serious disc golfers bag, regardless of the course and I would never recommend someone not play here. As a righty, it will show you the weakest parts of your driving.

With some cleanup and better signs, I think this course would be awesome. There really isn't anything else like it in the area. I'd like to play it in a tournament sometime to see how the scores flesh out.
I play the game, but I don't keep score. I can't win or lose.
Nitsud

Postby AO » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:16 pm

How's is this course looking and what do people think of it? Contemplating playing it this weekend.
AO

Postby Grimm » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:22 pm

AO wrote:How's is this course looking and what do people think of it? Contemplating playing it this weekend.

If you do let me know. I'll roll up there with you.
50 lashes for drinking the groups whiskey isn't steep.
Grimm

Postby IHearChains » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:44 am

AO wrote:How's is this course looking and what do people think of it? Contemplating playing it this weekend.

Last time I was there (a few months ago) there were still a couple tee pads that were partially completed but it was all playable. There are several holes which are just OK, nothing special. But there is good variety, elevation and mix of wooded and open. There is one really entertaining downhill tunnel hole, one really kickass par 4/5 which is one of my favorite holes in the state, and a few fun RHBH turnover drives. Worth a trip, IMO
IHearChains

Previous

Return to Clinton - Eagle Point Park