The Only Other "Real" Hobby

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Postby 10up » Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:56 pm

I've got to say that the Two-Hearted is quickly taking over Alpha King as my #1 choice for everyday affairs. The overall smooth quality of it almost makes it's drinkability scary... I was sitting at my bar studying, and an hour later, seven of them were gone, I was slightly hammered, and I couldn't remember what I'd been reading.
10up

Postby Cydisc » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:36 am

grodney wrote:Fort Collins Brewery has apparently started distributing to North Carolina, as I have started seeing it in a couple stores. As such, I picked up a 6 of Retro Red.

I have to tell you, after 1 bottle, I like this beer. I'm not saying everyone is going to like it, but it suits my taste really well.

I got some this weekend. I'm enjoying it.
Cydisc

Postby 10up » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:10 pm

I'm really in a pinch here lately... I love Alpha King, and it has that "smack you in the face" hoppiness and a great flavor. But I'm also all over the Two Hearted, it has a good amount of the bitterness I like and it seems to go down smoother, but it lacks the ... the... pizzazz, if you will, of the Three Floyds Brews.

I also just tried the Pale Ale from O'Dell Brewing, another Ft. Collin's Brewery that is supposedly taking alot of business from my beloved New Belgium. It is a nice, sexy time! yes?

Speaking of New Belgium, I've got a couple sixer's of their seasonal, Two Below. It claimed to be hoppy, and surprisingly, for a New Belgium brew, it does have a detectable amount of them, just not to the level of which I have become accustomed. However, it doesn't get a bad rating from me at all. It has a Medium Body with great malty undertones and is, overall, another great beer from them in it's own right. I just can't wait for Bier de Mars...
10up

Postby Bradbalk » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:23 am

If you love Alpha King then you need to get your hands on some Dreadnaught, the double version of Alpha King, delicous but very hard to find. As far as just plain crazy Hops, I have been drinking Hop Wallop from Victory, it might be the bitterest beer I have ever drank.
Titan IPA from Great Divide is one I would put right up with Alpha King and 2 hearted, also Founders Red's Rye is an oustanding IPA with just a hint of Rye flavor.

I just got given to me the most prized beer on the planet to most beer nerds - Westvleteren 12 - the ultra rare Belgian Trappist beer that is only available at the belgian Monestary, widely considered the best beer in the world. I will report back after I have drank it.
Bradbalk
Site Admin

Postby Clue » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:30 am

Between your jobs and AA meetings, I'm not sure where you all find the time to post.
Clue

Postby irban » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:30 am

For a hop wallop, try Blubird XB, if you can find it. They quit carrying it at Ingersoll, probably because it was too X. Bluebird Bitter is my favorite beer, but the extra bitter was way too much.

I wonder if hops are addictive?
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby grodney » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:39 am

I'm sure you all know this.

Hops = Family Cannabaceae Genus Humulus

Hemp = Family Cannabaceae Genus Cannabis
grodney

Postby irban » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:10 am

This thread is better than the Discovery Channel.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby 10up » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:39 pm

Oh trust me, I've looked for the dreadnaught, unsuccessfully. It pains me to think that it's out there somewhere, alone, scared, and undrank. I'll find it someday.

On the Westvleteren: it is amazingly tasty for the beer it is. I had it in Holland once before I knew it was the beer it is hailed to be. I'm not really a big fan of quads, the alcohol is always too present for my taste, and I think I remember that being the case with this one. But overall I don't remember it being a bad experience in the least, and I'm glad I had it before I was biased by what I've read.

What's your connection Brad? You've been throwing out some pretty rare breeds, we might have to talk. :wink:
10up

Postby grodney » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:58 pm

Dan, is helping you out the only way to shut you up?

If you *really* want some of that beer, it's not that difficult.

A) Drive (or get a ride) to the brewery. It's not like it's in Florida or something.
Driving directions.

B) Any number of mail order beer places, such as from this list:
http://www.ratebeer.com/MailOrder.asp
For example:
http://www.kahnsfinewines.com/
Just go there and search for Dreadnaught, and you can see that a case (of 12) is only $140.
grodney

Postby Bradbalk » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:24 pm

10up wrote:
What's your connection Brad? You've been throwing out some pretty rare breeds, we might have to talk. :wink:

I manage a Liquor store in Illinois.
Bradbalk
Site Admin

Postby grodney » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:52 pm

BIG news fellas. I found a new beer store in Charlotte. I stopped in on my way home. Oh - my - lord. *Fabulous* selection. Easily the best I've seen in town. I didn't know where to start.

Apparently Bell's just started shipping to N.C., and they had a few cases. I got the Oberon, the Amber, and the Pale. They are all chilling now.

And I picked up a big single of Rauchbier to enjoy Sunday night.

Needless to say, this place will become a regular stop on my way home from work.
grodney

Postby Cydisc » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:18 pm

I will be visiting that store in early October. I'll see what I can bring back.
Cydisc

Postby Abe Froman » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:30 am

Bradbalk wrote:I just got given to me the most prized beer on the planet to most beer nerds - Westvleteren 12 - the ultra rare Belgian Trappist beer that is only available at the belgian Monestary, widely considered the best beer in the world. I will report back after I have drank it.

so... how was it, and how can you get me some to try. i've had the trappist rochefort(not sure if thats spelled right) and i need to compare.
Abe Froman

Postby Cydisc » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:50 am

T got me a 4-pack of some special ancient recipe Scottish ales for Christmas.

First up: Grozet (from the Gaelic "groseid" or "gooseberry"), A gooseberry and wheat ale. Ingredients: Malted Barley Bree, Wheat, Gooseberries, Bogmyrtle, Meadowsweet and Hops.

It tastes better than it sounds.
Cydisc

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff