Donate-to-play

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Donate-to-play

Postby grodney » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:15 am

This may be a stupid question.

Has the Club ever considered partnering with the Park&Rec to place donation boxes at the first tee of the city courses? I envision a highly visible locked box that requests $1 for each round played per person, located such that it is *easy* to drop in a buck. Perhaps also a small sign to describe where the money is going (new courses, improvements).

At least four things prompt me to ask this:
1. The thousands of rounds that must be played on the DSM courses each year.
2. The constant need for money to make things (new courses, improvements) happen.
3. The seemingly successful operation of pay-to-play on the public Williamson County course near Austin.
4. The number of casual players that really have no idea that DG is a huge *volunteer* effort, in large part made possible by donations of time and money (though you certainly seem to have *great* partners in the Park&Rec).

I personally see at least 3 possible problems:
1. Political/legal ability to get donations in this manner. Would the donations go to the Park&Rec? Earmarked for DG? Or to the Club?
2. Vandalism/theft.
3. Nobody would use it, especially if it is just an optional donation.

Thoughts? Thanks.
grodney

Postby Buzzznation » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:06 am

I think it is a great idea. I don't see it working though. My biggest concern would be the vandalism. I think if you put a box saying donate ciggarretes to play at GVCC it would be ripped off the next day. Put up a box mentioning money, it would be gone the minute you drive away. Also, a lot of my freinds that play DG for recreational purpose enjoy playing just for the reason that there are no fees.

I went to the Winter Blaster in Minneapolis a few weeks ago and the course (Blue Pine Valley) had a pro shop where you had to check in and pay your fee to get a day pass. There are some that think that this will be the future of disc golf - Pay to Play.
Buzzznation

Postby Cydisc » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:20 am

I think it's worth a try. $1 is not that much for a day of golf. There might be some resistance at first, since people would be asked to pay for something that they've always gotten for free, but the longer the box is up, and people (club members) set an example of always paying, I think it would catch on.
Cydisc

Postby AngelaT » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:44 pm

Rodney said "donations" ... that's a lot different than pay-to-play.

I like the idea of accepting donations somehow. Is there any way to vandal-proof? Wasn't Bob Kelly so clever with his collection tube at J&B? (and I'm not proposing we do the same thing).

Great idea, Rodney!
Innova Team Champion www.innovadiscs.com * Team Huk Lab www.huklab.com *
Disc-Diva...You wish you threw like a girl! www.disc-diva.com *
Widye "Sick Dyes!" www.widye.com * Team IRON LION www.ironliondgs.com
AngelaT

Postby irban » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:50 pm

On the other thread, they talked about setting up a pay pal account for people to donate to.

You could paypal for the whole year, and the club could send out a cool sticker or bag tag to display proudly. Then, also have the drop box for anyone else who moves through.

There are ways to vandal proof drop boxes, as Angela points out. If someone emptied it regularly, there would not be as much temptation.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby grodney » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:00 pm

I still think politics, logistics, and culture are three pretty big hurdles.

I'm intrigued by the Williamson County thing in Texas. Theirs is "mandatory" (but unsupervised?) as opposed to a donation, and that could make a *huge* difference.

I'm not convinced enough players would donate to pay for the logistics of the donation box itself. I'd love to think so, but I'm just not convinced. That's why I'm thinking you'd need it very neear tee #1, and very easy to drop a buck into, and a sign or something with a brief and clear explanation of what the money is for.

Obviously step 1 would be checking with Park&Rec on the politics and legal matters.
grodney

Postby Cydisc » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:02 pm

grodney said "donations". I said "pay-to-play".

Anyway, I've seen a pretty good collection system at work at a county park in Wisconsin where daily fees of $2 were required to play a 9(!) hole course. Envelopes were provided that had spaces for entering the user's name and other optional info they cared to give. The collection recepticle consisted of a heavy steel pipe anchored vertically into the ground such that it would be very difficult to dig up and carry. The pipe had a slot to put the fee envelopes into. Access was gained via a strong, locking steel panel.

When I was there on a Saturday, the thing was full and I had to shove my envelope inside. I have to believe that $1 for a day would be reasonable to expect someone to pay for a sweet course like Ewing, for example.
Cydisc

Postby Birdman » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:44 pm

if its called a donation people could prolly right it off on their taxes if you use the envelope to keep track. what if you were able to do a donation box for the first year and get people to put name phone and address then you could send out a mailer each year talking about the progress of the game in the dsm area and asking for their help donating to the improvement of the area courses. send those out like twice a year might work. you would also get to advertise the dsm club and events.
The real excitement is playing the game.
Birdman

Postby disxgolf_nut » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:24 pm

I think that a fundraising tournament would be better option, you could even do a couple a year. I think that if you have to pay to play or even make a donation, you would get a drop off in attendance. Tournaments, coleclctable disc and other souvineers would make a better fundraiser. But on the other hand with less traffic on the courses it would also mean that there would be a less chance of abuse.
disxgolf_nut

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:41 pm

I think your idea is a good one, but not likely to be effective. There are other means of 'fund raising", as others have mentioned..

Im sure that if you want to add in the club-treasurer's mailing address to your online-bill-pay, you ought to be able to send $10 a month really easily to the club. For those who play way more than 10 roudns a week, this is VERy expensive, and out of our budgets, for sure.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Joe Cool » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:57 pm

There have been “Donation boxes at Turkey Creek and Sugar Bottom for several years. Why not ask Jeff and/or Kevin how effective they are?
Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.
Joe Cool

Postby Birdman » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:10 pm

man...ive enjoyed playing both of those courses this past year and never noticed the boxes when i went down there...i prolly woulda dropped in a couple bucks.
The real excitement is playing the game.
Birdman

Postby 10up » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:22 pm

The club needs money??? Where'd it all go?

:?:

Honestly, if the club (or P&R) was in need of money there are better ways to obtain it... say, not pay $100 a month for storage and use my garage, or (insert any other long winded solution).

Also, I'd have a hard time believing it's more of a benefit than a hassle to find somebody that can go around to all the courses however many times a month/week to pop open a box/safe/tube and pull out 2 or 3 crumpled dollar bills, some pennies, a gum wrapper, sticks, and possibly a used condom or two dependant upon the locale. Of course, as usual, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

:roll:
10up

Postby shane » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:30 pm

Storage is needed. if any of you had been to the storage shed to get tools you'd see that. :wink:
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby irban » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:07 am

Jon Latch used to have a pretty big garage. Maybe he would let us store the stuff there.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Next

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club