Jump Putting

The most important skill in the game, learn it here

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:02 pm

Since I can't get my mgr @ scheel's to put together a putter discount package, talk to shane stewart @ proflight. See fi he can cut you a deal on a 5-10 pack of putters... Then work on your short game. Jump putting it cool, but from 60-100 I focus on soft hyzer shots that land right within 5-6 ft of the basket...

Scott, how did you DL that video? Where?
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby AO » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:20 pm

claya wrote:...and jump putting inside of 90ft is for posers.

posers that have won combined 14 World titles and 5 USDGC Championships
AO

Postby claya » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:53 pm

I don't think jump putting is what won those championships.
claya

Postby MDR_3000 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:07 pm

It was voodoo.
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby Scott G » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:42 am

DL the video at:
http://www.discraft.com/resources.html
Its the Pro Clinic: Making Long Putts video at the top of the page. I usually right click and save target as... since I use Linux and the plug in viewers sometimes suck. :roll:
I just bought an EliteX Super soft Putt'r and need to get out and throw it! I like the feel of the disc and the rim design. Its the lowest profile putter I've seen. I really want to get my putting solid since I am going to try to make the Putting tourney in IL in February. :D
Scott G

Postby AO » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:46 am

claya wrote:I don't think jump putting is what won those championships.

It has to. There is 19 Championships and everything has to work when you win events that big, driving, upshots, placement, putting-whether it is stand still putting or jump putting. It may not have won those events but I put money on it played a big part on winning them.
AO

Postby irban » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:04 am

I can only think of one jump putt that I have seen go in, Clue at Oskaloosa doubles with Sprague.

Most people that jump putt seem so worried about jumping that they forget to putt.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Buzzznation » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:09 pm

What about this one

http://www.amnationals.com/
Buzzznation

Postby irban » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:25 pm

Is that going in? Getting those feet up good and high, that must be important.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Buzzznation » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:34 pm

As much as I hat that picture, it did go in and it won him the tournament in a playoff. Whatever works to make the putt. Feet up or down.
Buzzznation

Postby Eminem4president » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:16 pm

irban wrote:I can only think of one jump putt that I have seen go in, Clue at Oskaloosa doubles with Sprague.

You should play more golf with me. I'll show you why I love being 50 out from the bucket... :wink:
I don't "Owe You" like 2 vowels...

A million here, a million there...
Eminem4president

Postby irban » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:44 pm

Eminem4president wrote: You should play more golf with me.

I think you're right. I'm always about 15 cards back from the people who are making their jump putts.
Last edited by irban on Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby Eminem4president » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:46 pm

irban wrote:
Eminem4president wrote: You should play more golf with me.

I think you're right. I'm always about 15 cards back from the people who are making their jump putts.

Well I see what your saying cause I can't think of a DSM golfer that DOES jump putt, let alone make them.

This year is your year baby!
I don't "Owe You" like 2 vowels...

A million here, a million there...
Eminem4president

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:06 pm

I'll jump putt from 40-100, and just making one of those in a tournament round usually gives you a (confidence) boost, and sometimes leads to more made. It's a great feeling to jump, and keep your momentum going to the basket to get your disc out when you make one.
GDL17921

Postby Like_Water » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:16 pm

The best putter in the game is Stevie Rico. he doesn't jump, it's a lunge. I've started to pattern my longer putts after this guy. I lean back on my back foot and push off it straight at the link I'm aiming for. This gives me plenty of power without the confusion created by jumping. My crazy legs cant take it, and I rarely make jumpers. But I do make step throughs and lunges.

Scott, as far as your upshots go you only have to remember one thing, it's easier to throw with touch if you use your whole body. If you try and arm it, or aim it, typically it will come up short, or you will fear coming up short and put too much on it or yank it. Micah Dorius taught me this at USDGC on hole 17. We were there for a couple hours trying to dial in that shot...250 downhill, haybales, can't go long (water) can't come up short...you really have to dial it in. I only missed it once (in the tournament, probably 50 in practice), and it was due to not following through with my body. That next shot was nerve wracking, but I immediately knew what I did wrong, and corrected it, using my body for follow through...I mean, you need to follow through on everyshot, but especially on touch shots.

I had this in my head a couple weeks ago at the peninsula and I was so close on all my upshots, I thought for sure I was going to put one in outside 100, but that didn't happen, however I was close to the basket so I didn't have to embarrass myself with putting. :lol:
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

PreviousNext

Return to Putting Technique