NE Iowa

NE Iowa

Postby AO » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:25 pm

If anyone is in the area they should play this course. Has all different types of shots. Only down side is some baskets are by tee pads. Overall, a tough and challenging course.
AO

Postby KePP » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:04 pm

What about the 10 foot weeds that leave you bleeding when you miss the fairway?
KePP

Postby AO » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:43 am

Tony, Clay, and I also got tore up. Have to keep your disk in the fairway. We lost several discs the day we went. I played the course not to long ago and the tall weeds and flowers had died off. Not so bad in spring and/or fall.
AO

Postby AO » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:51 pm

played here today. very tough course when it is windy and my dogs got COVERED in BURRRRRS!
AO

Postby njrules » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:20 pm

Good the hear this course is still alive and well. Back in my days at Luther there was either the New Hampton course or this course that were atleast in short driving distance. And trust me I liked Fayette alot better. Back when it first started you didn't have quite the weed problem.. but I guess the school wanted a wildflower(?) reserve, so it sounded like they were required to let the weeds grow in certain areas.

Still remember coming up one weekend and kicking all their Upper Iowa asses... go Norse.
njrules

Postby KePP » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:51 pm

Having played over 100 courses, this is still 2nd from bottom as the worst course I've played (worst being Marquette Heights near Pekin). If you like wasting 10 minutes stomping through weeds and bleeding everytime you miss the fairway, then this course is for you. From a personal standpoint, that's not what I look for in a leisurely activity.
KePP

Postby Single L » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:53 pm

Played yesterday while in Maynard for a wedding. Not a very enjoyable round. The course starts off nice, but then goes downhill. The prairie area the course goes through is just ridiculous, I searched on a lot of holes, never losing a disc, and got absolutely tore up from them. On a plus side it does teach you to play smart golf, but with the distances they have you should be rewarded with a wider green/fairway if you can throw that far. With some loving this course could be really nice, but it currently has a very poor design. Some of the tees are on top of the pins and what’s up with the 3 300ft boomerang holes with 10 feet tall thick ass prairies on both sides of the fairway. I had to pitch out off the tee on all 3 to card a 3 (you should never have to pitch out off the tee. If you don’t pitch out you are throwing up a blind prayer that you are hoping you can find. The wooded holes and greens are also lacking in the maintenance department. The course is worth a visit once a lot of work can be done. Overall it was a rather unenjoyable round for me.\

On a side note I played the Oelwein course the same day. It is a great 9 hole course with 2 tees per hole. The tees are just being framed, but once done it will be a great small town course. The shorts are fun and make you work for a few of the deuces. The longs are just that, great 350 – 400 ft shots that require you to throw both hyzers and anhyzers. Overall a great design for the land they had to work with.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

wishing

Postby Golfguy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:55 pm

I wish I had read this thread before driving all way there. They are doing construction on the first three holes...had hard time finding the holes as they are not there. Once we got to the fourth hole the construction was over...but, having the tees right next to the basket is crazy. Good that no one else was there. Several times the good shot is right over a tee box or right into one. The tall ass grass was insane...not a fun course. Not to say it is hard...just not fun. Maybe will try again in the winter.
Proud Iron Lion Team Member
www.IronLionDGS.com
Golfguy

Return to Fayette - Upper Iowa DGC