2009 Worknights

Postby jnecessary » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:03 pm

I'm going to try to get out to Sugar and take care of as much string trimming as I can early this week.

Got a new trimmer, and already busted the head on it working at the Pen this morning. FYI, if you do decide to go to the Pen to check out the backside....don't miss the fairways or you will pay dearly, and the gnats are the thickest I have ever seen in my life down there.
jnecessary

Postby Single L » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:47 pm

The chucking gnats were terrible at Sugar today even in the rain.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby jnecessary » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:33 pm

porkchop wrote:The chucking gnats were terrible at Sugar today even in the rain.

Since I'm not an Iowa native...do those bastards thin out before fall, I was hoping maybe in a few weeks or a month when it gets super hot they might, dunno, just hoping.
jnecessary

Postby hyzerman16234 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:04 am

jnecessary wrote:
porkchop wrote:The chucking gnats were terrible at Sugar today even in the rain.

Since I'm not an Iowa native...do those bastards thin out before fall, I was hoping maybe in a few weeks or a month when it gets super hot they might, dunno, just hoping.

The experts say they'll be gone by late June. I'm not so sure. Absorbine Jr sure helps though.
Wildcat Bluff Crew Member
hyzerman16234

Postby Kelly K » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:03 am

The next 3 Tuesday nights we plan on having worknights at the Peninsula. This course really needs some attention. Please bring gloves, string trimmers, shovels, wheelbarrows, loppers, and any other tools you think might be useful. Please wear long heavy pants/jeans, the nettles and poison ivy are waist high.

I will be calling people to let them know of the worknights, we could use a pretty good sized crew for the next 3 Tuesdays.

ANYONE that has access to a bobcat... please get ahold of me, kevin, or jeff. we might have one, but unknown at this point.

We will NOT be canceling worknights if it is lightly sprinkling, it will have to be pouring rain for these next 3 worknights to be canceled.

June 16, June 23 and June 30, we will be meeting at the pavillion by the practice baskets at 5:30 pm. If you can't get there on time, no worries, please show up when you can and find us on the course.

EDIT: THESE DATES ARE FOR JUNE... I HAD PREVIOUSLY POSTED JULY, that was a brain fart, sorry bout that. THE NEXT 3 TUESDAYS ARE THE WORKNIGHTS!!!!
Is this the 5:00 free crack give away?
Kelly K

Postby Kelly K » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:57 pm

BUMP, see above in red... my bad. I apologize.
Kelly K

Postby Kelly K » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:51 pm

My friend Lindsay is coming to help out at the worknight. I told her even if it's raining we are going out there and she's totally fine with that.

Rain or shine, the worknight will go as planned!!
See ya there! :P
Kelly K

Postby Kelly K » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:04 am

Worknight was a success! Thanks to Greg, Kevin, Jeff, Brent and 3 new people: Lindsay, Tom, and Jason!!

Lindsay is def coming next week! She had a lot of fun and got a heck of a workout. We are both covered in mosquito bites, I even have one on my face!

Lindsay and I cleared all the big sticks in the fairways so the mowers can get thru w/o problems. Brent and Greg weedwacked a bunch of holes. Kevin Jeff Jason and Tom cleaned up a lot of trees and removed a couple.

I'm guessing next tuesday, June 23 will be focused on moving sand sand and more sand from #13 and if we get Jimmy's truck we can move #16's short teepad so it's not hanging over the Iowa River. The tee sign will need to be put back in as well. Please bring shovels and wheelbarrows, workgloves, and strong muscles!! Even if you can only come out for an hour, it'd be much appreciated.
Kelly K

Postby IHearChains » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:21 am

I played 18 this morning before work, it was great to finally see those flood-affected holes playable again! Thanks everybody for all the efforts. I will not be there next week (Diamond X here I come! 8) ) but will try to make it on the 30th.
IHearChains

Postby jnecessary » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:38 am

I'll be there along with the old truck the next two weeks :)

Enjoying the beach in the meantime.
jnecessary

Postby Kelly K » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:25 pm

Tomorrow's worknight will still go on. We are going to focus mainly on intalling and fixing previously installed stairs. Please bring shovels and weedeaters. Please wear long heavy pants (jeans) and make sure to bring your bug spray!!! (and don't forget your workgloves!!)

See ya there!!! 8)
Kelly K

Postby Kelly K » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:45 am

The worknight tonight will hopefully be a short one, with the heat and all. The more people that show up, the faster we can get done. I have some new faces coming tonight.

If you can come out, we would greatly appreciate it. We're meeting at 5:30/5:45 in the parking lot. If you can't come that early, just find us, we should be by 18 tee or 13 basket. :P :D 8)
Last edited by Kelly K on Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelly K

Postby jnecessary » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:11 am

maybe 16s fairway won't be so soggy next week (assuming it is flooded) and we can get that teepad moved then. I got a new Stihl trimmer and it is a hoss, I may or may not have cut down a few flowers last night trying it out...

see y'all this evening.
jnecessary

Postby AO » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:50 am

Kelly, I've have gotten your txts and been reading the forum. Sorry I can't make it. I have my busiest work loads the entire day every Tuesday and usually work around 12 hours. If I get a cancellation I will stop down. Is the Penn playable yet?
AO

Postby Kelly K » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:35 pm

no worries adam. i send out a mass text to everyone on my phone who plays disc. anyone that wants to get my texts about our worknights, feel free to pm me your phone number and i'll add you to the list! :P

it's going to be a smokin hot night. all of us are really planning to call this one a quick worknight, but feel like we do need to come out and do some work.

yay peninsula!
Kelly K

PreviousNext

Return to Iowa City Disc Golf Club