mowed fairways

mowed fairways

Postby irban » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:24 am

I highly recommend getting out to Colfax while they have the fairways mowed in on the back. It really looks good, and requires a little more finesse on holes 3 through 6. The grass is long enough that it hinders the run up, kind of similar effect to ball golf rough.

This would be a good idea for a lot of courses. I wonder if they plan to keep doing this to save money on mowing?

If you find a green star wraith in the creek on 15, I wouldn't mind having it back.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Beerman » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:28 am

Yep, looks great. Now mow it down.
Beerman

Postby irban » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:56 am

Beerman wrote:Yep, looks great. Now mow it down.

Pussy.

No green wraith?
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Beerman » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:42 am

What is the added value of having a deep rough? Score seperation is not a valid argument on holes 3-5. I would debate score seperation on 6 as well.
Beerman

Postby irban » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:56 am

Beerman wrote:What is the added value of having a deep rough? Score seperation is not a valid argument on holes 3-5. I would debate score seperation on 6 as well.

Pussy
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby Beerman » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:59 am

irban wrote:
Beerman wrote:What is the added value of having a deep rough? Score seperation is not a valid argument on holes 3-5. I would debate score seperation on 6 as well.

Pussy

Go fix your flat tire.
Beerman

Postby irban » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:46 am

Beerman wrote:
irban wrote:

Pussy

Go fix your flat tire.

Slow leak, if I stop at Casey's on the way it's fine.

I agree there is no score separation on any but maybe 6, but it does look cool, plus may save money for the P & R. I do think it could be used to good effect on some courses. Would be especially sweet to play with the Lamoni OB rules out there.
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby Cydisc » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:29 am

The mowed fairway serves a number of purposes.

1. Saves time and $ for the maintenance crew.
2. For new visitors to the course, it defines the shape of the hole if it's not readily apparent.
3. Makes it "look" like a golf course.

At ISU, I encouraged them to mow a meandering edge, leaving wider mown areas for landing zones on the par 4's, all to make it look and function like a ball golf course. They did that at Southwoods as well.
Cydisc

Return to Colfax - Lewis Club Park