Wow.....talk about whiny people.....
First off, Iowa is a great place to be from. Disc golf is good there, but disc golf is only as good as the people playing it. Never eliminate their decisions.
Designing disc golf courses is not for a group to decide. You need a king/President/leader to decide. If you put a 5some together to work on a course, it will never get done. They will argue more than you guys did here in the forum.
If the city wants it, LET THEM BUY IT. PAY TO HAVE A DESIGNER BUILD IT. There are many great people in disc golf, and many people in disc golf can design a few good holes, but when you are talking about the only course within a community, they need to support it (not the players) and pay for it. If you are doing fund raising for it, it is not a priority with the city, and will get neglected because they know you will do the work for free. If they pay for it, and they work with you on it, they will maintain it, and the community will enjoy it. What happens when a basket is stolen or vandalized, do you need to have a fund raiser to replace it?
You get what you pay for. You pay someone nothing for a course, you get a nothing course. You have resources available in the area that could help you work on this. There are certified designers within a 30 minute drive of the land. Offer to buy them lunch, pick their brain, see what they say. *With Latch, it sounds like you already have done that...good, thats the way it should be* If you have a chance to put in a 6 hole course that challenges you, go for it, have alternate pads in 3 locations, you have 18 playable holes then.(I dunno havent looked as the land is not within 30 minutes of me.
Traveling distances over 15 minutes is ridiculously close. The only reason to put a course in Carlisle is to appease a few people that may not know about the sport. It is not going to be the great white hope of dics golf, rather is going to encourage newer (probably under 16 yrs old) to play, and will make them want to play on a "big course" in the "Big City", or if the go to Pella (YUCK!!!!)
and play at Red Rock, they will have an idea of what the sport is.
You should use the smaller communities without enough land to make a solid course as a feeding ground. Be sure the Marquee offers all local area courses, Des Moines, Indianola, down to Pella/Osky/Ottumwa. Give a solid 50 mile radius map in this town, and the players will find it.
If someone takes the time to work with the city to make it happen, help him. SHow up and support the cause, get local TAX PAYERS to show up, having 40 people from West Des Moines is not going to help, but have 5 tax paying residents show up and support, and you will be viewed stronger. Remember most of our courses are from tax dollars, that come from voter financed initiatives. The people that pass this, are voted on, and they need votes, so if you have 5 people that vote in favor of it, and 2 that are not, guess what happens....
Yeah all people read the internet that are looking to get information. Whe you see people that have posted over 1000, 2000, 3000 posts and are spewing rhetoric that is not in a favorable light, you are hurting the entire organization.
So SPrague, you are an out of state tool with no plans to ever help Iowa disc golf, so stay in IL where you to can be govenor if you got a better hair cut!
ow quit trying to play diplomat and go back to be a married man, don't you have some cookies to bake? (you coming to the Wide Open?)
Really, listen the people that play, but I think that the respect thing is earned, but also ruined in the internet. Messages lose their appeal at times, and you have to be mindful that typing at a machine is not like talking to a person.
There are many great people in the state of Iowa, just as they have tehir share of jerks. Its like disc golf, 95% of the disc golfers I meet are cool, I forget to tell people about the other 5%, and you all know why.
This is coming from an Am Player (my rating has been discussed in here) who has been playing pretty regularly since 1984. I have played over 380 courses, designed or help to design 9 courses, ran a Worlds, am helping run another, and raised over $500,000 for disc golf. I feel I am a little bit better than the average bear, and many of you know that I am also not about to forget to let you know it!!!
I played Margo and lived to tell about it. THis weekend lets see if I get to play Walnut revisited and live to tell about it too!!!!!
Play nice with each other folks, this is the only sandbox we have to play in, and if you let your cat in it, we all have to look at what it does in the sand......
Disc Golf-we are like a small town in Iowa every weekend, playing for each other's gas money home, don't make it so you want to punch your neighbor....you go to jail....or Pella, which ever is easiest......DOH!