The Only Other "Real" Hobby

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Postby irban » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:48 am

Bell's Two Hearts is too hoppy for me. I just tried it again the other day, and it's more bitter than I like. Is this what is they call American pale ale? This is the same problem I have with Summit.

On a side note, I think Millstream out of Amana has a lot of good beers at about $7. Schild Brau Amber is a favorite. I just tried the seasonal Schokolade Bock, to good affect. I don't like their pale ale as well. I think I'm going to start promoting Millstream as Iowa's answer to Boulevard or Schlafly or even New Belgium.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Abe Froman » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:27 am

delirium nocturnum is the shit, do your homework. liquid gold
Abe Froman

Postby SpikeHyzer » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:47 am

To follow up on Irban...the Millstream Wheat isn't too bad.

I also tried some Honker Ale last night. I was a little disappointed in it. I also tried the Blvd. Nutcracker and was really surprised by it. It is definitely one to try. Pretty tastey stuff.
SpikeHyzer

Postby irban » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:47 pm

My Grandmother is over eighty and still doesn't need glasses. Drinks right out of the bottle.

Henny Youngman (1906 - 1998)
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby 10up » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:36 pm

Brian, where'd you get the two hearted at? It's on my list... I need it to live...
10up

Postby grodney » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:56 am

Fort Collins Brewery has apparently started distributing to North Carolina, as I have started seeing it in a couple stores. As such, I picked up a 6 of Retro Red.

I have to tell you, after 1 bottle, I like this beer. I'm not saying everyone is going to like it, but it suits my taste really well.
grodney

Postby irban » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:09 am

10up wrote:Brian, where'd you get the two hearted at? It's on my list... I need it to live...

Where else, DM beer nirvana Ingersoll Wine and Spirits. They have it in the cooler and everything.

They also have a whole range of the Fort Collins stuff.
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby rightcunnin » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:33 pm

Dahl's on Ingersall (Ingerdahls?) has the Retro Red and I agree, I've really enjoyed it. Picked up Bell's Best Brown and Winter White Ale last night. Both are quite tasty.
I'm sorry that the middle of my sentence interrupted the beginning of yours.
rightcunnin

Location: further out of my f-in mind than previously thought.

Postby grodney » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:42 pm

I'll have to bust out a bottle of my Irish Red from last spring. I thought the Retro was reasonably similar. BeerAdvocate lists Retro as an American Amber / Red Ale as opposed to an Irish Red. But for some reason it just seemed more Irish than American to me last night. More research (5 bottles) is needed.

The Irish Red recipe kit at my local homebrew shop is by far his best selling kit, and it is delicious. I love a good red, be it American or Irish. There just aren't many readily available commercial examples (don't say Killian's or I will cut you).
grodney

Postby Lou Siffer » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:43 pm

Had a pint of Anheuser's Bare Knuckle stout last night, and it is, as you might well surmise, pure crap. (I didn't pay for it)
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby irban » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:35 am

Tried the Warm Welcome Nut Browned Ale. I love those English ales, though they tend to be pricey ($4.99 Pint!!) This one has good medium body with a hoppy finish. 6% ABV. I will probably get some of this for the weekend. They also had Bad Elf that I might try, and Pickled Santa that I probably won't.
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby Buzzznation » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:40 am

grodney wrote: I love a good red, be it American or Irish. There just aren't many readily available commercial examples (don't say Killian's or I will cut you).

One of the best Red's I have ever had

http://www.raccoonbrew.com/beer.php
Buzzznation

Postby chappyfade » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:03 pm

grodney wrote:2 out of 3 Chappy posts prefer beer!

I think the percentage is probably higher than that.

And I second the Winter Welcome from Sam Smith. Had a hard time finding it in KC this year, but finally tracked it down. Damn good stuff.

Chap
chappyfade

Postby rightcunnin » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:19 pm

Buzzznation wrote:
One of the best Red's I have ever had

http://www.raccoonbrew.com/beer.php

The Homestead Red and the Stonecutter Stout (and the pool hall) are the reasons I made RRBC my home away from home. Both are well balanced, full flavored, highly quaffable beers. I'll be sure to pass on your kind words to our Brewer DCoy. Peace, Walsh
I'm sorry that the middle of my sentence interrupted the beginning of yours.
rightcunnin

Location: further out of my f-in mind than previously thought.

Postby irban » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:55 pm

Kind of conflicted on this recommendation. I have occasionally purchased the Green Valley Brewing Organic pale ale, and I have really liked it. I am drinking their Wild Hop Lager as I type, and I like that pretty well too. These are both much better than the Samuel Smith organic.

Now I see that Green Valley is a subsidiary of Anheuser Busch. I see they are careful not to indicate that on the bottle anywhere. Oh well. Props to them for providing a quality product for a change.
~~~- ¥
irban

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff