Upcoming DM DG Trip - Tips, Advice, Ideas from locals?

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Postby Single L » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:51 pm

rightcunnin wrote:
ghstinshll wrote:Gasthof's! I know that place well!

Uhhhh..... I think he was asking about Court Ave.

None that I'm aware of. If any would, check Johnny's Hall of Fame

Johnny's does not have Foos, they have every other game under the sun but no foos. I'm pretty sure People's has a table or two. People's is located on the corner of Court and 3rd, Kitty Corner from Court Ave Brewing Co. People's is on the 3rd floor, above Legends and Liar Club
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:05 pm

periferalFinn wrote: We've got a pretty popular German bar up here so I know the allure of Das Boot! Are there covers typically at these?

You'd have to make a connection between him being from the Cities, and that he said the above... :idea:
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby 10up » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:20 pm

Ingersoll bars have Foos. And the Ingersoll bar area is much more in tune with the disc golf counter culture type atmosphere too.

Stop into Zimms and play Clint, he's a local golfer and is fairly unbeatable from what I've seen.
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby Single L » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:29 pm

10up wrote:Ingersoll bars have Foos. And the Ingersoll bar area is much more in tune with the disc golf counter culture type atmosphere too.

Stop into Zimms and play Clint, he's a local golfer and is fairly unbeatable from what I've seen.

Ingersoll Bars have shit for beers .......... from what I gather the MN crews #1 priority next to DG
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby periferalFinn » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:31 pm

porkchop wrote:
10up wrote:Ingersoll bars have Foos. And the Ingersoll bar area is much more in tune with the disc golf counter culture type atmosphere too.

Ingersoll Bars have shit for beers .......... from what I gather the MN crews #1 priority next to DG

Bingo, tipping back good beer far outweighs throwing down a few games of foos.
periferalFinn

Postby 10up » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:37 pm

why would you come to Iowa to drink beers that you can get that and more of in Minn?

We can't even get Surly Furious.

Speaking of I will pay money for a 4 pack. I love it so much it makes me cry sometimes...
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby Single L » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:42 pm

rightcunnin wrote:One other note, the 100th Anniversary of Drake Relays is going on this weekend. Lots of things going on down on Court Ave and Waveland Cafe will be packed!!

The Drake Relays will be over by May 1st ......... Party On
Single L

Postby rightcunnin » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:47 pm

My bad. I thought they were coming down this weekend.
I'm sorry that the middle of my sentence interrupted the beginning of yours.
rightcunnin

Location: further out of my f-in mind than previously thought.

Postby periferalFinn » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:54 pm

10up wrote:why would you come to Iowa to drink beers that you can get that and more of in Minn?

We can't even get Surly Furious.

Speaking of I will pay money for a 4 pack. I love it so much it makes me cry sometimes...

Oh man, Surly is a staple in my fridge. It's a bummer they stopped the growler service. They're actually based in my home town and just up the road from me now. I'm kinda shocked it's not trickled down to Des Moines.

Based on the awesome info I've been getting here I'd be willing to pick up a 4 pack or two and bring them along to be picked up at whatever course works best on our schedule...
periferalFinn

Postby bdhukr » Mon May 04, 2009 8:39 pm

So how was the trip down to Iowa? Saw you guys out at Grandview on Sunday, didn't click til later tho who you all were. How was the nightlife? Hope you all had fun down here.
bdhukr

Postby periferalFinn » Tue May 05, 2009 8:57 am

The trip lived up to some lofty expectations. The courses were immaculate and in very good condition outside of the sogginess which cannot be helped.

Friday Discin': Started at Big Creek and were the only ones on the course. Very nice tight technical course to start and really neat holes near the lake to finish. 'The Freak' was pretty fun to play. We ended up playing 2 rounds here based on the little traffic. Skipped over to Walnut Ridge for our 3rd round of the day. Course was pristine with great signage and layout. Highlight of my round was a deuce on #16 from about 275' out. Loved the variety of shots here.

Friday Night: Started the night at Court Ave Brewery. The beer was outstanding. Had 2 flights just to sample the wares and they were all super tasty. Ended up trying the cider and wasn't a huge fan but overall the food and beer were awesome. Headed over to People's to play a little foos which was pretty fun. After that we headed to the 2nd floor bar there, down from Peoples. I was far too looped to remember the name. It was pretty packed. At some point I went outside for a heater and ended up just staying out there and talking to a ton of random people on the street that were all pretty damn cool. Drunken conversations are always fun.

Saturday: Started the day at Pickard and we all fell in love with the course. Just so many holes that you just haven't seen before. So very unique with a lot of your shots and the use of space is great. Seems like you could almost have another full course on that land it's so spacious. Loved #8 & 14. Headed to Tasty Taco's after Pickard and I think only 2 of the 6 enjoyed it. I thought it was very good but the rest of the crew were not impressed. Anyway, headed to Ewing after this. I think this was our consensus favorite course actually. Very unique holes and a good mix of varying shots. #10 is to die for, especially this time of year. I still have that intoxicating smell near the pin in my brain. Ended up playing shorts for round 3 instead of running over to Grandview because we wanted to get back for the Celts/Bulls Game 7.

Sunday: Headed over to Grandview to play a couple rounds at a shorter course. This plays a lot like a shorter Riverside in St Cloud where a bunch of us went to school so we all liked it. Nice mix of shots and easy to play casual rounds here. Great signage too. bdhukr, which one were you? We ran into a bunch of friendly folks actually. This was actually the only course that had legitimate traffic on the weekend really.

Overall it was an awesome weekend. Ewing, Pickard & Walnut Ridge all immediately jumped into everyone's top 10 courses played which is pretty crazy. We were super jealous that you guys have as many gems as you do so close to the metro area. Anyway, it was a great weekend and we're already considering repeating in DSM next year instead of continuing our rotation of Midwest locations. That's how hospitable and fun you guys were. Your course maintenance, helpfulness and overall experience were second to none. Honestly, hats off fellas.
periferalFinn

Postby Clue » Tue May 05, 2009 10:50 am

And you wonder why everyone complains that Des Moines doesn't travel well. Why should we?!? Seriously though, glad you guys enjoyed it. It's always nice to get some feedback. It helps us appreciate what we have. However, you can't go wrong with eastern Iowa as well. The 3 that I know are spectacular in the Quad Cities are Westlake, Middle, and Camden II. You'd be splitting hairs to argue which courses are better. The 4 par 5s at Westlake are unbelievable. That course might have a handful of the best holes in Iowa. I haven't actually played a few of their other courses that I hear are pretty good as well, and hopefully by next year Peninsula will be back in shape in Iowa City. Their other 2 courses are fun as well.
Clue

Postby grodney » Tue May 05, 2009 1:13 pm

periferalFinn wrote: snip

That was fun to read.
grodney

Postby Single L » Tue May 05, 2009 4:10 pm

No Bait Shop, High Life, Royal Mile, Red Monk, Hessen Haus, Raccoon River Brewing Co. :shock:
Single L

Postby periferalFinn » Tue May 05, 2009 4:16 pm

porkchop wrote:

No Bait Shop, High Life, Royal Mile, Red Monk, Hessen Haus, Raccoon River Brewing Co. :shock:

I know, I was pretty bummed about not hitting the hot beer joints. You can blame your courses being too nice. We ended up playing 3 rounds on Friday instead of 2 and didn't get back to the hotel until nearly 8. After showers we weren't downtown until nearly 10 and hadn't had dinner yet. So Court Ave took us about 75 minutes to eat and by then it was after 11. Didn't leave us much time and it ended up that foos won out. By the time foos was done we were so looped that the guys went in the next club they found that had a dance floor.

All the more reason for us to come back next year :D
periferalFinn

PreviousNext

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club