Jump Putting

The most important skill in the game, learn it here

Jump Putting

Postby SoCal19 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:05 pm

I struggle with jump putting, so I was wandering if anyone has any advice to offer up. Style, Mechanics, disc, wieghts?
SoCal19

Postby Cydisc » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:16 pm

Start by thinking of it as "lunge" putting rather than "jump" putting. It's simply taking your regular putting stroke and giving more push from the legs such that your momentum carries you forward of the lie. I wouldn't use a different disc just for this putt. But then again, all players are different, so your mileage may vary.

Watch Dave Feldberg do it. He's about the best one out there. As with anything, though, do what works for you.
Cydisc

Postby karma27895 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:49 am

well said
www.ironliondgs.com
burns lawncare and snow removal
mcmanus pub n grub
karma27895

Postby harryPutter » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:41 pm

Yeah, why? There's no need for jump putting. Just shift your weight into a fluid motion at the point of release.
harryPutter

Postby AO » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:58 pm

Try to use a straight disc because at low speeds it will hyzer. Lately I have really caught on to jump putting. What I do is throw slightly above the basket with just a touch of anhyzer, almost flat. I have also switched to a soft magnet and I am shaving anywhere from 1 to 5 stokes a round from jump putts. 5 is a bit excessive but I have done it with jump putting. This is what works for me. Watch the MSDGC videos and check out Larry Leonard, Yeti, or Schwebbie jump putt. This is who I got advice from and tried to copy.
AO

Postby irban » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:25 am

Regarding jump putts and stance:

A few weeks ago I heard a relatively experienced golfer explain the advantage to a jump putt as being able to release the disc in the air, as you're moving forward. They said they were told this by an even more experienced golfer. If I hadn't heard this, I wouldn't have thought this reminder would be necessary.

Here is the rule regarding stance outside 30 meters (jump putt range)...

803.04 Stance, Subsequent to Teeing Off
A. When the disc is released, a player must:
(1) Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the playing surface on the line of play and within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc (except as specified in 803.04 E); and,
(2) have no supporting point contact with the marker disc or any object closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
(3) have all of his or her supporting points in-bounds.

B. Stepping past the marker disc is permitted after the disc is released, except when putting within 10 meters.

So, a legal jump putt requires you to release the disc prior to losing contact with your supporting point behind the lie. The advantage of a jump putt is not that you get to release ahead of your lie.

The advantage I guess, is the momentum of the jump helps to carry the disc so your arm can be used to direct the disc, instead of power it. I also think the rhythm and loft have something to do with it. If you use a jump putt, you are required to time your release so you don't violate rule 803.04.

As Harry Putter indicates, there are also other methods of imparting momentum, rhythm and loft to your putt. I would not say that the jump putt is the ultimate method, but one of many effective methods.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Cydisc » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:14 pm

irban wrote:Regarding jump putts and stance:

A few weeks ago I heard a relatively experienced golfer explain the advantage to a jump putt as being able to release the disc in the air, as you're moving forward. They said they were told this by an even more experienced golfer.

Let's hear some names, Dad.

I contend that, when it's done properly, it's impossible to foot fault when jump-putting. To release after the plant foot has moved forward is actually counter-productive.
Cydisc

Postby grodney » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:42 pm

Do baseball pitchers release before their foot leaves the rubber? Is that legal?

Do softball pitchers release before their foot leaves the rubber? Is that legal?
grodney

Postby irban » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:38 pm

I don't know if it helps to name names. If he wants to out himself, so be it.

To be fair, I'm guessing he misunderstood the advice from the other player who I also won't name, because I can't imagine that he doesn't know the rules.

I mainly wanted to get this out there so others don't get the wrong idea too. Not everyone reads the rule book. In fact, I was giving another player advice about his falling putts, and he said " well some of those guys even jump after they putt". He wasn't aware of the 10 meter rule.

I agree that it is generally counter productive to release after you leave the ground. I would say that you might gain an advantage by jumping sideways or whatever to get a better line to the hole. In that video one of you posted of Feldberg foot faulting, it appeared he might have improved his line of trajectory under some trees by jumping forward.

We were talking about the NBA (or ABA?) modifying the free throw rules to counteract the Wilt Chamberlain flying leap style in the 50's. At it's most flagrant, a jump putt could get you the same advantage, if you ignored the stance rules.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby AO » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:11 am

[quote="irban"] In that video one of you posted of Feldberg foot faulting, it appeared he might have improved his line of trajectory under some trees by jumping forward. quote]

But you do not know if he is foot faulting because you can not tell where his mini is. Is it under his right foot or left?
AO

Postby Scott G » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:16 pm

I need to learn to putt better at all ranges, and really need to figure out the 60-100 ft up-shot. I just downloaded a great putting video from discraft showing jump and non-jump upshots. Its a new video in there teaching series. I found it very informative. what do you all think?
Scott G

Postby MDR_3000 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:13 am

the only informative one was Ron Russell.

But, I wouldn't worry about the 60-100ft putt until you can make 15-20 footers 90% of the time. That is where you will drop strokes off your score, not banging huge putts.
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby Chase20460 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:56 am

MDR_3000 wrote:the only informative one was Ron Russell.

But, I wouldn't worry about the 60-100ft putt until you can make 15-20 footers 90% of the time. That is where you will drop strokes off your score, not banging huge putts.

You sir, are correct.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby Scott G » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:21 pm

I agree. I do need work on the short game. The real frustrating part about my 15 yard and out is that I either leave it real short or it ends up way past. If Im out 40 yards I throw a Roc with the power grip. A little farther out I sometimes take an x-step. Inside 40 yards or so, if I use the power grip I usually over throw, and if I use the control putting grip I usually end up short. Short enough to sweat the putt. Thats why I would like to learn jump putting of something that gives me more control and more power so that I have and easy in when I bounce the bucket or slide to the pole.

I figure the best thing is to just practice alot like the kid in the video said. :roll:
Scott G

Postby MDR_3000 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:29 pm

try playing putter catch with someone and stand 40 yards apart. And practice that shot that way.
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Next

Return to Putting Technique