Upcoming DM DG Trip - Tips, Advice, Ideas from locals?

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Upcoming DM DG Trip - Tips, Advice, Ideas from locals?

Postby periferalFinn » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:17 pm

Hello from the Twin Cities. First time poster, long time lurker. A group of friends and myself are headed down to the greater Des Moines area the weekend of May 1st for our annual 'destination' weekend. 2 years ago we did Highbridge. Last year we did Telemark. This year it's some Des Moines debauchery.

Anyway, we have a rough idea of what we hope to do based on a post here from chalupamarley who did a similar trip last year. I guess I'm wondering whether the advice over there still carries over to this this season.

Our rough schedule:

Friday: Big Creek & Walnut Ridge during the day. In the evening the tentative plan is to head down to Court St & Raccoon River as well as any other bar between them.

Saturday: Pickard & Ewing. If we play a 3rd we may play a 2nd round at Ewing (do they have legit shorts) or head over to Grandview or Water Works.

Sunday: Grandview & Heratige. We're staying right near Ewing for lodging so these are on the way home. If we do Grandview on Saturday we may choose to play the 2 courses in Ames instead of Heratige. Could use some advice on this. Our arms also might have fallen off by now so this might be ambitious.

I have a couple broad questions as well:
1) Does the schedule seem feasible? Are there better combination's of courses?
2) How are the course conditions right now? Is there anything we need to know about the courses that would lead us elsewhere? What are crowds like early in the season?
3) Any advice on bars near Court St? Is there a better area to go for guys that love craft beers and a chilled out atmosphere? Maybe play some darts, pool, foos?

Thanks in advance for any input and advice. The courses sound absolutely sick!
periferalFinn

Postby periferalFinn » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:19 pm

I also wanted to add, are there any restaurants or cool diners that we can't miss? We'll be eating out most of the weekend and would love to try a few unique spots.
periferalFinn

Postby SpikeHyzer » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:38 pm

Don't bother with Heritage. Skip it and play the courses up in Ames on your way back home. Both courses are pretty decent and are fairly quick plays.
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:39 pm

schedule looks good. I recommend hitting up Ames if you have time, instead of Heritage. Courses are all in decent condition.

Some places you might want to try:

Felix & Oscar's - HUGE disc golf supporters, and purveryors of most excellent Chicago style pizza.

Tasty Tacos - there's about 4 or 5 of 'em in Des Moines. One is very near Ewing on SE14th Street. It's a Des Moines favorite.

There's some great bars in Des Moines worth checking out:
Royal Mile
Court Ave Brew Pub
Racoon River Brew Pub
Blues on Grand - if you want to hear some good music
El Bait Shop (I think that's right) lots of different beers, I've never been there, but it's a popular place.

Feel free to contact me if you need any help locating these places, or want advice on any others.

Oh, and Ewing does indeed have a legit set of short tees. I'd recommend hitting up Grandview though, if you're up for another round b4 leaving town.
GDL17921

Postby O_D » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:33 pm

Definitely check out El Bait Shop(South of Court Ave two blocks on Third), lots o good hard to find beers. I also highly recommend the Red Monk (Second floor above the Royal Mile) a 1/2 block North of Court Ave on 4th. Lots of impossible to find Belgian beers. Bartenders know what they are talking about.
Calmer than you are.
O_D

Postby rightcunnin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:42 pm

I'll echo a lot of the other sentiments. Schedule looks good. Do Ames instead of Ankeny.

Downtown I would hit Raccoon River first if you want to go ( I used to work there and would still reccommend it. ) Great beer, food and pool hall. Also, it's on the "west" end of downtown so you can start there and then head to Court Ave. The Royal Mile, Red Monk, Hessan Haus (German Beer Hall. Have a Boot! ) and El Bait shop should not be missed. I'll be working Friday night at The Hotel Fort Des Moines next door to Raccoon River if you need any clarification or directions. Have Fun

Scott Walsh
I'm sorry that the middle of my sentence interrupted the beginning of yours.
rightcunnin

Location: further out of my f-in mind than previously thought.

Postby The Donator » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:50 pm

Yeah id recommend Hessen Haus as well, i think if you get there before like 2PM you get half-price boots ($7 compared to $14) and they have AMAZING chicken stuffed thingys with jalepenos and cheese.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Re: Upcoming DM DG Trip - Tips, Advice, Ideas from locals?

Postby Clue » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:03 pm

The schedule is solid. Definitely skip Heritage and do Ames. However, Carroll Marty (Gateway Hills) is one of the busiest courses in the world. I'd recommend the north course. I'd also suggest maybe heading out east on Sunday to Colfax. It's only about 15 mins east of GV on I-80 and it's a pretty fun 18 hole course with some pretty steep areas.

Most of the locals are going to be down in Lamoni this weekend. Hope you guys have a good time. You definitely picked a good lineup. In the future I'd recommend a lineup that includes Waterloo, Cedar Rapids, Iowa City and the Quad Cities. I could spend two weeks solid playing nothing but central to eastern Iowa disc golf.
Clue

Postby Clue » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:08 pm

Crap, I can't believe we all keep overlooking Boone. It's unbelievable. The difficulty would compare to Pickard, BC, and Walnut, but it's a very unique course. You'll need a map and the creek crossing is a little tough in spots, but I think it's well worth it. If you got to GV on Sat then I'd start in Boone and if it doesn't work out then you'll be right by Ames.
Clue

Postby periferalFinn » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:30 pm

Wow, awesome response. Thanks for the great stuff guys. Any other ideas are welcome.

I think we have to hit Felix and Oscar's on Friday after BC/WR. Sounds excellent and anyplace that supports DG is gold in my book. Tasty Tacos sounds like a cool place to maybe hit right before Ewing for lunch after Pickard.

The bar scene sounds really awesome for a beer enthusiast. I'm drinking a Leffe right now actually so Red Monk sounds pretty great. I'm a huge IPA guy as well so a place with unique beers sounds perfect. Ideally we hop to a bunch of these. Is Hessen Haus in this area? We've got a pretty popular German bar up here so I know the allure of Das Boot! Are there covers typically at these? Also, dumb question, how late are the bars open in DM?

So sounds like there are some varied opinions on where to play Sunday. Good to know not to hit Heratige. It was on the list solely because it was right off 35. Boone sounds really cool but I'm not sure we want to play a long, difficult course that is a challenging trek with a long ride home and after a long weekend of DG. Kinda looking for a nice couple of 18 hole courses that play fairly smooth. After Pickard/Ewing on Saturday I'm sure we wouldn't mind a few deuces thrown in. What is Maytag like? If we did Grandview Saturday maybe Newton/Maytag is a good combo? Or is it worth wading through the crowds to play both Ames courses which would be a little more on the route home?
periferalFinn

Postby Clue » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:06 pm

Newton is a really nice, fairly easy course. The front nine is a lot hillier with huge trees. The back nine is a lot flatter. It's a very nice park, no rough at all. Newton would go well with Colfax. Usually when we play one, we play the other.

Heritage used to be worth playing, but has suffered from a new drainage pipe put in and it's lost a bunch of trees from a storm. It's been a work in progress for 15 years and is now about back to square one.

I'd probably lean toward Newton/Colfax, and you could actually get through those 2 fast enough you could even mix in an Ames course on the way back.
Clue

Postby arowan21 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:39 pm

For beer down town, Court ave has an average IPA. Its hopped well, but doesn't have a malt balance. Raccoon Rivers is pretty balanced, from what I remember from it. I am not allowed to drink there and its been a while since i have tasted it. They do have live music on Saturday starting at 9, its some local hippy band. el Baitshop has a ton of ipas on tap, of the 105 taps they have, about 10-20 are ipa's. Red Monk/Royle Mile are good for English/Belgians. Hessen Haus is goof for german bocks and hefes. Everything usually is cover free, but live music at raccoon means there is going to be a cover, unless you get there early.
arowan21

Postby ghstinshll » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:07 pm

I was thinking Boone, but w/o it being "totally finished", should they go? NM.... that's a definite YES! lmao! :lol:
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby 10up » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:43 pm

lmao!!

yeah for sure!

you guys should totally try and hit up Norwalk why you're in town too. It's a great little out of town course. Who knows, maybe I'll even try and meet you for a round? lmao!!

welp, see ya later!
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby Buzzznation » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:46 pm

Royal Mile/ Red Monk hands down. There should be no comparison. Red Monk is only open at night though.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Next

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club