Greenwood

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Greenwood Park.....What to do?

Go ahead with the nine hole course
28%
Pull out, search for other course opportunities at another park
50%
Wait, keep trying to persuade the neighbors and environmentalists that the 18 hole setup will work, possibly with another design
22%

Total votes : 32

Postby Red » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:22 pm

I'll admit to editing. I have chronic foot in mouth disease that has spread to my fingers, especially when aggravated.

FYI - there is an update that I'll let Jon give details on. In short, it looks like a vastly re-designed 9-hole with new baskets (not the Greenwood ones).

At least it's something and somewhere to start.

I haven't heard much from Apple Valley, but Jon is working with Steve and other international designers to make this work.

It's hard to stay this way, but I am still optimistic that this can be a GOOD thing.
There are no stupid questions. Just stupid people.
Red

Postby sorearm » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:24 pm

Thanks Amanda.

Lets just make this a huge 9 holer. These people have no idea how long a hole should be,but if they only see 9 baskets..... :roll:
________
vaporizer forums
Last edited by sorearm on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
sorearm

Postby Latch » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:50 pm

cydisc11895 wrote:How about going ahead with the 9-hole plan, concentrate on ecologically sensitive design and construction practices, let people get used to the course and realize it's a good thing. At that point, if it seems like the right thing to do, an expansion can be proposed.

Steve is right on the mark with his statement and this is exactly where we are now heading: An extra eco/neighbor friendly nine hole course. The big thing that we are going to have to do was very well outlined in Becky's post, gather up lots of disc golf supporters to balance out the detractors (that likely don't understand disc golf very well to see it as such a threat) at the next meeting! If we can do this then we will have a good shot of getting the park board's approval to go ahead with a nine hole installation.

I should mention that the P&R is interested in installing "more attractive" baskets than the standard galvanized that we were set to donate. So we will likely be purchasing some blue (or possibly green like we gave away at The Worlds in 2004 :)) baskets for Greenwood. Yes, that means we will "still have" the 18 club owned baskets available to search out another locality that is interested in partnering with us to install an 18 hole course! Win/Win.

I plan to continue to lead the charge on this project and appreciate any and all support that people have given, are giving, have offered to give, or are planning to give to this worthy project! Greenwood park desperately needs a fun activity like disc golf that is suited for people of all ages to help make the park more vibrant and alive. An activity that can pull the neighborhood kids off the couch and out into nature. Keep the faith and we will one day be able to enjoy a round of disc golf at Greenwood park (as I have personally been looking forward to since the very first time I played disc golf at Greenwood 15 years ago)!
Happy Discing!
Latch

Postby rightcunnin » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:02 pm

Just curious, but Becky's post mentioned the lack of Disc Golfer presence at the meeting but lots of neighborhood folks. I read these boards everyday and I don't remember seeing anything about that meeting happening or anything asking discers to come out and show support. Please don't read this a dig on anybody. I will freely admit it could've been posted here somewhere and I missed it. If it wasn't, why not? I would've definitely gone. Please keep us posted when there is another meeting of this type. Peace, Walsh
I'm sorry that the middle of my sentence interrupted the beginning of yours.
rightcunnin

Location: further out of my f-in mind than previously thought.

Postby Red » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:09 pm

We were told right up to the meeting that they didn't want a lot of reps from the community because they didn't anticipate the turnout it got. Given the result of that, we will be sure to show up in force at future meetings!
Red

Postby rightcunnin » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:19 pm

Who are "they" and why wouldn't "they" want people participating in something that is obviously very important to a lot of people?
rightcunnin

Postby 10up » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:32 pm

Scotty, c'mon, you've been around long enough to know "them".
10up

Postby rightcunnin » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:52 pm

I assume nothing. By the way, I really would like to know who "they" are.
rightcunnin

Postby Red » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:15 pm

"They" is the DM Parks and Rec people. I assume "they" were trying to avoid a big confrontational meeting by keeping it low key. Unfortunately it didn't turn out that way because, as I said, "we" (Jon who told Tim, me and the Eagle Scout working on the course) were told last second that a lot more issues came up and "they" changed the format to be more discussion than information sharing. In retrospect, yes, "we" should have rallied the troops. Hence the plan to do so in the future.

"They" was not any mysterious "they" trying to keep Dan out of the loop. At least I was not led to believe so. Sorry I wasn't clearer. More clear. Whatever's grammatically correct.

Look, I know there is a lot of input and passion for this course. I certainly want that input to be heard and I think the entire Club wants it to be heard, too. Please keep the feedback coming. Please also know that we are doing our best to balance the feedback we have with feasibility, etc.

(I also know there is some bad blood that can lead many to believe the Club isn't being fully forthwright with information. But from what I can tell, this really was an instance where the rug was pulled out from underneath everyone's feet, not a case where one or two people are trying to highjack the project.)
Red

Postby rightcunnin » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:02 pm

Thanks for the info Amanda. That was the whole reason I wanted an explanation of who "they" were. I know that some people would read it as the P&R and some would read it as the Club. That is the main reason I assume nothing on vague language in postings ( and just in case anyone thinks I'm calling Amanda vague, I'm not)
There is definitely a lot of history w/ this club, good, bad,indifferent, and all of the above. I applaud all of you who are carrying on the torch. It is not an easy task. As always, when time allows I'll be at meetings, or work days, or posting info here (although posting is rare. Guess I was just feeling weird today) Peace, Scott
rightcunnin

Postby Red » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:30 am

No worries. I know there's history and I know there is vauge-ness (and yes, I am sometimes vague!) We do what we can! :D
Red

Postby ghstinshll » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:24 pm

I saw the tv-repost od the Parks & Rec dept meeting last night. To sum it up, we need supposrters to go to the next meeting, and it sounded like there would be an invited walk-through w/ the neighbors scheduled for the future...
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby grodney » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:29 am

Is there a planned pull-out date for the "effort" at Greenwood?

Can I get back my $50 donation that was specifically to help fund the course there?

http://tinyurl.com/2489fu

http://tinyurl.com/yp32t8

Thanks.
grodney

Postby irban » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:48 am

This was sent to me a while back. Apparently the ball is in our court?

press release
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Cydisc » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:11 am

irban wrote:This was sent to me a while back. Apparently the ball is in our court?

press release

Sounds like they want to see a 9-hole design. Anyone working on producing one?
Cydisc

PreviousNext

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club