Concept for throwing better

Learn to throw from local experts.

Concept for throwing better

Postby Like_Water » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:26 am

Feldberg

Around the minute mark Dave talks about the elbow being ahead of the shoulder, then accelerating through the throw. I never really thought about it before, but this makes alot of sense.

I've been working on this for a couple weeks now and I'm starting to see some positive results. Keeping the elbow bent and in front of the shoulder all the time is an easy way to make this happen. If my timing is good, I can then go ahead and reach back and pull the elbow ahead of the shoulder and accelerate through.

Any time I "saw off" a drive, it's usually because I start turning the shoulder before the elbow has a chance to get out in front.

Combining this with a better grip, and I'm seeing alot of easy distance. Minimal effort/run up with very consistent results.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Like_Water » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:30 am

Slow Down

Here's another pointer from Dave that I've been saying for years. Slow down. Consolidate your movements to make them efficient.
Like_Water

Postby z-man » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:50 pm

Discwrangler wrote:Slow Down

Here's another pointer from Dave that I've been saying for years. Slow down. Consolidate your movements to make them efficient.

I tweaked my knee when I first got out to Cali...Since then I've slowed my shots down considerably and worked on steady rhythm...I feel more confident about my game than I ever have...sucks that I had to find this out through an injury but I'm all the more grateful it happened so I was able to learn from it...

Best advice I could give too...SLOW DOWN...you don't need a jerky, quick run-up for good solid distance...I'm actually throwing 15% farther now that I've picked up on this simple concept...

example...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfNWPGjCfss
I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars...and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby Like_Water » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:32 am

I have people comment all the time on how short of a runup I use, and how the disc still goes far. Minimizing your movements really helps eliminate things that screw up your throw.
Like_Water

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:48 am

Tanner, don't you think that learning to focus on no run-up, the "stand and deliver" will help w/ the efficiency issue as well? Practice that, get your rotation & torso quicker & stronger, then insert your runup back into the equation? Norwalk's tees are a little short, and I've adapted from the bigger run-up to a shorter, Brinster-like quick hop or whatever (not that I'm any huge pro to go by example on).

I think that this approach will probably help me out in many cases.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:49 am

Keeping the elbow bent and in front of the shoulder all the time is an easy way to make this happen

I think watching Steve Brinster on the EGDE DVD helps w. this technique as well. Watch how he leads w his elbow, but also how damn quick he gets from reach-back to release. Dude's QUICK! :shock:
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Buzzznation » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:55 am

Discwrangler wrote: Minimizing your movements really helps eliminate things that screw up your throw.

This is true for putting as well. This is holds true for just about any sport throwing action that is executed. A concept that was drilled into my head as a pitcher in BB.

The knee injury Z speaks of is kind of what happened to me as well. Probably part of the reason my knee started bothering me in the first place with a fast paced herky jerky drive.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby arowan21 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:56 am

gretagun and I have been working on this drill for a while. Its just to work late acceleration into your throws. At the same time it show doing this by keeping your elbow in front of the shoulder.
arowan21

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:16 am

damn work filter - wish I could see that. LOL
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Nohr » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:03 am

It is the working from the hit backwards video from masterbeato. Pretty good information if you haven't seen it
Nohr

Postby z-man » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:08 am

Discwrangler wrote:I have people comment all the time on how short of a runup I use, and how the disc still goes far. Minimizing your movements really helps eliminate things that screw up your throw.

I've started hearing from people out here that I make throwing look effortless...which I think is entirely the point and overlooked by many who try to throw the disc too far...you know what your discs can do...determine where you want them in the air and just put them out there...the disc will do 90% of the work for you...
I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars...and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby Like_Water » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:50 am

arowan21 wrote: At the same time it show doing this by keeping your elbow in front of the shoulder.

THis is huge. The only error you can make is coming out too wide to the right. Which often times yields a decent shot.
Like_Water

Postby MDR_3000 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:14 pm

Discwrangler wrote:
arowan21 wrote: At the same time it show doing this by keeping your elbow in front of the shoulder.

THis is huge. The only error you can make is coming out too wide to the right. Which often times yields a decent shot.

I lead with my shoulder..you guys are weird.
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby SARG27044 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:18 pm

MDR_3000 wrote:
Discwrangler wrote:

I lead with my shoulder..you guys are weird.
Im using this guys advice. Feldberg aint got shit on the mighty MDR
SARG27044

Postby Tsquared23187 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:48 am

If you direct the momentum using ur hips your belt buckle should come through first in then the rest of your follow through.
Tsquared23187

Next

Return to Throwing Technique