handicapped league

Davenport, Bettendorf, Moline, Rock Island and surrounding area leagues

Moderator: Sniper26

Postby Nick Strut » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:17 pm

NomadicThrower85 wrote:Is it too soon to start talking about the spring handicap leauge?
Hell no, I'm pucking stoked
Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time.
Nick Strut

Postby NomadicThrower85 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:44 am

Sweet! Lets do this thang.
NomadicThrower85

Postby Lou Siffer » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:09 pm

I know not everyone who plays gets on the forum here, but I wanted to see what the interest level is on Handicap league for this year.

In an effort to make things run more fairly and efficiently, there's been some talk of changing up the format.

One of the main problems we've had in the past is partners not showing up, and not getting a sub. This makes it tough on the person who did show up, and on the person administering the league.

What's been talked about is changing to a singles format that would still put you up against a similar level player utilizing your handicap to determine your final score.

Anyway, just wanted to get a feel for who's in.

Thanks.
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby swan » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:43 pm

Sounds like a decent plan. Since it's such a long league, you'll always have trouble with people not showing (out of town tourneys, injuries, vacays, incarcerations, etc). This way it keeps the respo on them and only one person will be penalized if they can't make it. I'd second the singles idea.

Maybe go half and half? Singles for one session and doubles the next?

Are we still looking at starting in May?
swan

Postby Lou Siffer » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:48 pm

Nothing is set yet, so May will likely be the start. If we go with Mondays again, we'll be looking at May 4th.

We could go half dub, half singles. Probably see how singles works. We could go on a nightly pay basis, instead of up front, which would mean show up when you can. Then go to a nightly payout like Chase is doing for King of the Courses.

Just thinking out loud here.
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby karma27895 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:17 pm

all singles on either monday or thurs day preferribly on mon so then we could have sunday monday and tuesday leagues :shock: :shock: :shock: that would be awesome :D dang resch you should think out loud more often um huh um huh yes yes like the ideas! keep going
www.ironliondgs.com
burns lawncare and snow removal
mcmanus pub n grub
karma27895

Postby NomadicThrower85 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:11 pm

I really liked the idea of doing Dubs, since I'm still a pretty avg. player looking to learn from new people. Like the idea of split nights and such, mond. single tues. dubs.
NomadicThrower85

Postby Nitsud » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:02 am

NomadicThrower85 wrote:I really liked the idea of doing Dubs, since I'm still a pretty avg. player looking to learn from new people. Like the idea of split nights and such, mond. single tues. dubs.

You can ask nearly every player in the area for help on your form and such and they'll gladly help, regardless if you're on their team.

I like the singles and nightly payout ideas.
I play the game, but I don't keep score. I can't win or lose.
Nitsud

Postby dx pete » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:01 pm

pick a partner each time out of people that do show up. or singles matchplay and total score, win both get 3 points.
opulence, I has it.
dx pete

Postby Nick Strut » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:10 pm

dx pete wrote:pick a partner each time out of people that do show up. or singles matchplay and total score, win both get 3 points.
Drawing a partner would probably work better. Still a very good idea.
Nick Strut

Postby Orange Guy » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:47 am

My original pitch to Resch was this:

No assigned partner to eliminate the issue of no-shows. Your handicap from the previous year carries over. If you're new, the first night you show to play, you play scratch. Each league night, the people who show are split down the middle. Top half is the A pool, bottom half is the B pool. Two piles of identical card and A players pick a card, B players pick a card. Go play. Payout to best A round, B round and Team round is following week. Wash, rinse, repeat.

The major drawback I see to this is that there will be some on-the-spot logistics for the person running it. I would think a strict sign-in time would help here ... you call or show up by 5:15 so you can be playing by 5:30. Just show up at 5:30 unannounced? Sorry, no league for you this week.

Thoughts on something like this?
Orange Guy

Postby Nick Strut » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:01 am

Brad, Now that's some good thinking there. I get off work mid-afternoon; glad to help with this in anyway I can. By the way, you keep some strange hours.
Nick Strut

Postby karma27895 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:35 am

agreed what are you doin up at 3:47 am theres only one thing i can think of that somebody would be doin on a computer at that time and that is :oops:
www.ironliondgs.com
mcmanus pub n grub
karma27895

Postby Orange Guy » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:10 pm

We stayed in Peoria an extra night because of the weather. Stuck in one of the shittiest Sleep Inns I've ever been in. Rest of the fam was cold so the heat was on and it was belching out some funk that woke me up. On the bright side, I had a free continental breakfast with some homeless people.
Orange Guy

Postby karma27895 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:16 pm

nice homeless people rock
www.ironliondgs.com
mcmanus pub n grub
karma27895

PreviousNext

Return to Quad City