Team Tournament - April 4th

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Postby Lou Siffer » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:11 am

Yeah, I don't get it. Kind of goes against the spirit of the whole thing.

I'm sure this issue has been beaten to death, but I thought there were some guidelines established last year. Apparently I'm mistaken.
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby Like_Water » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:14 am

Lou Siffer wrote:Yeah, I don't get it. Kind of goes against the spirit of the whole thing.

I'm sure this issue has been beaten to death, but I thought there were some guidelines established last year. Apparently I'm mistaken.

It's up to whoever wins. I left it open last year because certain towns apparently don't have women.

When we win, I'm sure Clue will revise the guidelines. :wink:
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby The Donator » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:03 pm

I got my ass reamed when i formed the IC/CR team a few years ago, which was quite reasonable in my opinion. Seems to have gotten out of control now. Although it wasnt NEARLY as bad as Yeti playing for the QC team that year. :roll: :roll: But hey its within the rules so we just need a team other than the "Puffins?" and CR to change the rules. Just not sure which Dsm team it will be.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby Like_Water » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:39 pm

Originally I had hoped that people would have a little tact when forming teams. I understand the Puffins are kind of a rogue team, and they are playing by the rules.

What I don't get is why the hell Sarg would not want to play for the DM team. :?
Like_Water

Postby SARG27044 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:56 pm

Discwrangler wrote:Originally I had hoped that people would have a little tact when forming teams. I understand the Puffins are kind of a rogue team, and they are playing by the rules.

What I don't get is why the hell Sarg would not want to play for the DM team. :?
I thought I would have locked up a spot during the GVCCC last year as I beat the entire advanced field but played in the open division. My understanding was that that would have earned me a spot but I guess I misunderstood what was going on. I originally told Frog that I would have to wait to see if I got put on the DM team before the Puffins because thats where my allegiance lied. So I waited again til the Big Ivy open but I decided to play open again, so no spot was saved for me there either. After waiting and realizing I might not make it on the DM team, I told Frog that I would love to play for them again if he would have me. I didnt want to sit around and hope to make the DM teams 3rd team only to not get picked, and have nothing to do on the 4TH but sit on my thumb. Like I said I waited several months to hear word if I made it to the team, as well as wait to see if the DM Bushwhackers would form a team, and nothing happened in that time frame so I made my choice. I mean the tourney is in what... 2 weeks, and is the roster even finalized yet? I got screwed by the Dm 2 team a couple years ago when it was at Ewing and raining where I paid extra to get my team in, only to have half the team puss out between rounds. And guess who pussed out... thats right, every one who didnt want to chip in extra. I paid 50 extra bucks to get us in and thats how I was repaid
SARG27044

Postby Clue » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:28 pm

I wish you would've said something. I didn't even notice that's what happened.
Clue

Postby SARG27044 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:39 pm

Clue wrote:I wish you would've said something. I didn't even notice that's what happened.
I dont blame anyone for this, its just how it happened, and I didnt wanna get left out of the fun
SARG27044

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:31 pm

Discwrangler wrote:
Buzzznation wrote:
Discwrangler wrote:The Puffins team could be a sleeper, especially if the rumor that they procured Alan Wagner and Hamilton Miller is true.

Then they'd be Des Fort Cedarlooton City

Quite the bastard child of a team, that's for sure. we definately need to get a grip on the radius of eligible players. 25 miles max IMO.

I would love to see who lives within 25 miles of you or clue. I already posted my team, that's who's playing. I have included people no else asked. Tyler and Grant played last year because I had a bunch of guys drop out and you guys didnt ask them to play. Tissue and Ramsey were not playing on other teams so I asked them because they are way too good not to play. As far as miles go John and Mark both live within 35 mins of me, can you guys all say that on the DSM team? or IC or any team for that matter I think participation is key. By setting more rules and standards, I believe you would hamper this tournament of the fun and excitement of competing. Why in the hell would you do that. Love you guys regardless
frogawitdafizzle

Postby The Donator » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:35 pm

Lol no offense Frog, there really is no argument that can defend your rogue team and the spirit of the tournament. :lol: That being said, good luck!
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby AO » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:41 pm

frogawitdafizzle wrote:
Discwrangler wrote:
Buzzznation wrote:
Discwrangler wrote:The Puffins team could be a sleeper, especially if the rumor that they procured Alan Wagner and Hamilton Miller is true.

Quite the bastard child of a team, that's for sure. we definately need to get a grip on the radius of eligible players. 25 miles max IMO.

I would love to see who lives within 25 miles of you or clue. I already posted my team, that's who's playing. I have included people no else asked. Tyler and Grant played last year because I had a bunch of guys drop out and you guys didnt ask them to play. Tissue and Ramsey were not playing on other teams so I asked them because they are way too good not to play. As far as miles go John and Mark both live within 35 mins of me, can you guys all say that on the DSM team? or IC or any team for that matter I think participation is key. By setting more rules and standards, I believe you would hamper this tournament of the fun and excitement of competing. Why in the hell would you do that. Love you guys regardless

I don't remember it being an issue last year, so don't know why it is now. IMO it's not a big deal and I'm glad there are 8 Teams. I think the competition will be strong and hopefully it is a battle for 1st!
AO

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:48 pm

The Donator wrote:Lol no offense Frog, there really is no argument that can defend your rogue team and the spirit of the tournament. :lol: That being said, good luck!

I take offense. No one on my team, was asked to play for any other team. No one complained last year when I had 4 guys from dsm play, because no one wanted them, remember clue. I drove around til 12am on Friday trying to find baskets so we could set up the temp holes for out of towners who wanted to come play to practice. I sat there til 7, so if anyone wanted to come check them out they could( I thought Resch was coming down so we left it out all day for the QC.) I didnt win but helping out is my thing. So please find it necessary to exclude people who want to compete by bagging on my team. Why should you exclude people because their areas of the state either dont want to play or you have excluded them from being on your team?
frogawitdafizzle

Postby rightcunnin » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:54 pm

frogawitdafizzle wrote:
Discwrangler wrote:
Buzzznation wrote:

I remember the 25 mile rule from a couple years ago. It did get changed, mostly because not every team had a female player in that range. If it wasn't specified this year than it's a moot point anyways. Winning team makes the rules and format and I think that's how it should be. I think that benefits all of us as we get to play a different style team tourny every year and to me , that means big fun no matter what. Looking forward to it!!

PS - since you asked Frog, and I was curious myself, both DSM teams live within that 25 mile radius. Claring came closest at 24.75 miles
I'm sorry that the middle of my sentence interrupted the beginning of yours.
rightcunnin

Location: further out of my f-in mind than previously thought.

Postby Clue » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:22 pm

Puffins from last year vs Puffins from this year are two totally different situations. I talked to Tyler and Grant in October about playing for DM and it was clear then that they were playing for Puffins. I checked with Tyler on more than one occasion over the winter to make sure. Point being is that Puffins last year just sort of happened and it didn't hurt anyone. This year they were one of the first teams to try to get situated with players from all over.

I'm far from angry over the situation. It's within the rules, and they clearly have no chance so it's a moot point. Next year I'd like to see things at least try to have some sort of geographic restrictions with possible exceptions. I just don't want to see a team like DM call Tank to play and kick someone like me or Shane to the curb. However, if CR had 2 teams and Waterloo was not fielding a team then I don't see any problem with getting a couple players from a nearby area. But I'd prefer to see them go to the 2nd team.

I'm grateful for being able to play for Puffins last year. I had a good time. But I think it would've been a mistake for me to commit to playing for them before anything had developed in DM.
Clue

Postby Captain » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:44 am

frogawitdafizzle wrote: John and Mark both live within 35 mins of me, can you guys all say that on the DSM team? or IC or any team for that matter

No one on my team, was asked to play for any other team

Hate to be devil's advocate but.............

There is no way both John and Mark live that close to you. It would take me a least 20 min to get to Mark's house from my house and Frog you are more than 15 min from me. The restriction would be in miles, not minutes anyway, and both of those players would fall out of any mileage radius from you.

Mark was asked to participate with another team. He choose not to.
Captain

Postby Like_Water » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:01 am

Kudos to Frog for putting together a solid team and simply playing by the rules.

That being said, Sarg should be on DM, Tissue should be on WL/CF, and Ramsey should be on IC.

We (Team DM) will resolve this situation next year. :wink:
Like_Water

PreviousNext

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club