Putting Drills

The most important skill in the game, learn it here

Putting Drills

Postby Nohr » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:36 am

I have been trying to improve my putting game recently. I have about 24-28 feet to work with in my apartment. My question is what kind of drills/practice would you guys/gals recommend.

After a couple days of messing around I figured it needed to start moving my feet in between shots. If I plant my feet and just grab for putters and throw shot after shot. Those later shots are going to be easier to hit b/c of doing small adjustments learned from earlier shots.

So after warming up I would try to move from 24 feet to 15 feet then back again. Also last night I tried to switch from stradle putt to one foot forward in between shots.

Any other ideas on what I could/should be working on. I know I need to get outside and putt more. I am doing most of this stuff after dark or when it is really wet outside.
Nohr

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:46 pm

Sorry Dustin, i dont have nay indoor drills for ya... 8) Though I'll be giving lessons if I get up there for a round w/ you & ur bro! :wink:

J/K...
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby prodiscgolf » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:44 am

Putt with your eyes closed. Zen putting is great for analyzing your technique.
prodiscgolf

Postby Nohr » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:11 am

ahahahha I actually did that a couple times last night. I was trying to recreate the shot where the freakin sun is right in your eyes.

What I have moved to over the past 2 days is moving after every shot and switching stances up. I am still trying to get a routine down for doing every shot.
Nohr

Postby Single L » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:30 am

I have mini's in my basement placed at 15' 20' and 25'. I use four putters and place them 5' or so in front of where I am putting from. This makes me move from the mini to pick up the next disc and forces me to refocus and to concentrate on every putt. I'm not a fan of switching distance and stance every time as you learn little and build no muscle memory. I think using the same stance and distance for a period of time helps you learn how to correct your shot and helps build muscle memory; the important part to me is resetting your feet and having to refocus on every shot. My routine starts out with 10 minutes or so at 15', 10 minutes at 20', and 10 minutes at 25'. I will then do about five minutes at each using a straddle putt. I spend less time with the straddle as it is not my primary stance but it’s good to practice in case I am forced to use it.

When I move to outdoor putting my routine is about the same, but I only spend 5 minutes at each distance. After a practice from all 3 distances in I change the wind orientation. I putt from four different directions (the predominate directions; head, tail, L to R, and R to left). In total I putt for about 20 minutes from each distance from 4 different directions. I will also spend about 5 minutes working on jump putts.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby SpikeHyzer » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:52 am

I agree with Chop on this one. Setting up stages helps to build muscle memory. I also agree that resetting after each putt is important as you don't just rapid fire your putts and it requires you to refocus yourself.

When I start getting ready for a tourney, I work through the distances of 15, 20, 25, 30 and 35(Jump putts). I do four putts at each stage and then go collect all my putters, then cycle through the distances again. I usually try to do 4-5 cycles of each distance. By the time I am done, I usually have fired between 80-100 putts. This usually takes about 30-40 minutes to get through.
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby z-man » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:44 am

For help with the visualization of things...

I try to envision a picture frame smaller than the width of the chains...it is this picture frame that I must get my disc through...your aim should be to smack the chains...not have the perfect speed on your putter to place it in the basket...the frame helps me remember to throw through the square and ultimately the chains...which has led to an increase in the number of putts I am able to hit...
I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars...and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby SARG27044 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:48 am

Man I need to practice more! I usually dont do it for more then 10 minutes before the round. I just get bored with practicing for an extended period of time, wether it be putting or going out to a field and ripping my drivers. I should def. cut back on the rounds and get some more practice though. (might) be just what I need to bring my game to the next level.
SARG27044

Postby IHearChains » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:34 pm

SARG27044 wrote:I just get bored with practicing for an extended period of time

Here is a backyard technique I find useful to combat boredom. (I think Tom Hanks said it best... "Boredom in disc golf? There is no boredom in disc golf!!")

Throw 3 or 4 putters from one spot about 70ft. If you make them all, take a swig of your beer. If you miss any (!), go to the one that is farthest out and make all short putts from there. If you make all those, take a swig of your beer. If you miss any, um... well... that calls for a swig of your beer too, then try again with all 4 short putts until you make them all. Then start over at 70ft. This technique gives you 4 shots at a time for muscle memory building, from random distances and wind directions and levels of intoxication, simulating real action on the course. Plus you get practice at both the 175g and 12oz weights. I've mastered the latter.
IHearChains

Postby GDL17921 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:09 pm

I think Tank's putting tips and his discussion about throwing a putter is very good.

I also believe the "Putting With Confidence" program works well too, if you can stick to the program.

Look 'em up. I'm too lazy to do it for you.
GDL17921

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:17 pm

IHearChains wrote:
SARG27044 wrote:I just get bored with practicing for an extended period of time

Here is a backyard technique I find useful to combat boredom. (I think Tom Hanks said it best... "Boredom in disc golf? There is no boredom in disc golf!!")

Throw 3 or 4 putters from one spot about 70ft. If you make them all, take a swig of your beer. If you miss any (!), go to the one that is farthest out and make all short putts from there. If you make all those, take a swig of your beer. If you miss any, um... well... that calls for a swig of your beer too, then try again with all 4 short putts until you make them all. Then start over at 70ft. This technique gives you 4 shots at a time for muscle memory building, from random distances and wind directions and levels of intoxication, simulating real action on the course. Plus you get practice at both the 175g and 12oz weights. I've mastered the latter.

I just practice drinking beer while I putt.
I never seem to get bored. :lol:
Wildcat Bluff Crew Member
Budhyzer 17696

Postby SpikeHyzer » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:01 pm

GDL4000 wrote:I think Tank's putting tips and his discussion about throwing a putter is very good.

I also believe the "Putting With Confidence" program works well too, if you can stick to the program.

Tanks info: http://gdstour.com/how_to_throw_putters.php

Putting w/ confidence: http://www.discraft.com/vid/html/dg10.html
SpikeHyzer

Postby GDL17921 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:04 pm

SpikeHyzer wrote:
GDL4000 wrote:I think Tank's putting tips and his discussion about throwing a putter is very good.

Tanks info: http://gdstour.com/how_to_throw_putters.php

Putting w/ confidence: http://www.discraft.com/vid/html/dg10.html

I knew there was somebody out there with less work to do than me. :lol:

Good luck tomorrow JT.
GDL17921

Postby SpikeHyzer » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:25 pm

Hey...I am working on post whoring so I can finally break 1000 posts. I am almost there. As for tomorrow...we'll see what happens. Hoping to finish in the top 5.
SpikeHyzer

Postby ghstinshll » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm

hey Joe, did someone "reset you" @ some point? :lol:
##39027
ghstinshll

Next

Return to Putting Technique