Grant Weaver #27166

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Postby Single L » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:02 pm

GDL4000 wrote:If you want to cite rules, have a rulebook.

Every player should be required to carry a rulebook ........... actually I'll take it one step further, every player should be required to take the officials test; teaching them how to use the damn thing. But at the very least everyone should have to have one on them.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby KVN » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:03 pm

I think my rule book is outdated abit my #s didn't match the pdga's webpg. I also putt on one foot and see it as a courtesy to plant booth feet behind my marker before advancing . I would call a violation on myself if I were aware of it and always want to be called if & when I do, because without the rules the playing field would not be even and I think they really let you know where you stand.
KVN

Postby GaW27166 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:05 pm

I thought KVN was joking when he called it. I kinda gave him a laugh because I didnt think it was a foot fault. Idk. Like I said if I NEED to bring my foot back down before I go get my disc I will. I just dont see the reason behind it. Like Z said I dont strattle putt my only "supporting point" is my right foot.

I have always putt this way and this was the first time I have ever been called on it. I play over 18 tournys a year, and many many more leauge and rec rounds.

Its in the past I wont laugh next time you call me out KVN lol. My wizard may not be as forgiving :lol:
GaW27166

Postby irban » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:28 pm

I think the key really is continuous motion, as pork said, but I disagree that you need to put your other foot down as some kind of courtesy. A lot of people end up with one foot in the air. It's easy to see the difference between stopping and following through if you just stop for a second.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby z-man » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:32 pm

True...

It may be a milisecond before...but I push off before I release and lift my back leg off the ground...I agree though...that it would be far simpler to just set my leg back down behind my marker before advancing towards the basket to alleviate any confusion...

I also...however...am in the minority in that I like to forget to pick my mini up at least once a round...after having gotten my disc...and enjoy running back from the next hole to retrieve it... :wink:
I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars...and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby KVN » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:48 pm

I hope your putt continues to improve as we will be playing for the upset this year @ the IA teamchmps. The unforgiving putt is what makes memorable rounds for me . I hope to get to DSM more and throw some more with you and Sarg, i'am sure you have alot of shots on every course to show us before the challenge this year.
KVN

Postby KVN » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:05 pm

When I said courtesy I meant " It is courteous to play by the rules " . I was not trying to push the rules because it was an icebowl but because of the side bet (not in it ) fair is fair. :?
KVN

Postby SARG27044 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:41 pm

KVN wrote:I hope your putt continues to improve as we will be playing for the upset this year @ the IA teamchmps. The unforgiving putt is what makes memorable rounds for me . I hope to get to DSM more and throw some more with you and Sarg, i'am sure you have alot of shots on every course to show us before the challenge this year.
oh it will be an awesome upset. hope to see ya soon
SARG27044

Postby SpikeHyzer » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:15 pm

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby Crawdad » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:03 am

So let me take a whack at that horse.

I have only been playing for only a year now, however there is the right way and there is all the other ways I see people playing.

And I think my favorite answer is "But I have always done it this way and no one every said anything". Such a lame excuse for not correcting the way you play when you find out your are not following the rules. And who are these dork's that keep letting you play that way?

I am sure everyone who reads this could beat me in a round of golf. That is just fine with me, because we are playing with different goals in mind. I getting my butt out of this chair and walking around and having a good time.

However I am one of those "assholes" that will call you on everything, not trying to be mean or screw up your game. I just want to play by the same set of rules. I do want everyone to have fun, and if the people in my group can learn to play the right way even better. I play nov/rec and so a lot of the people I play with don't know the rules. All they know is what there PRO friends teach them. So all you ADVANCED players out there should be teaching your newbie friends the right way the first time.

And just because I finish DFL does not mean I am not having fun or accomplishing my goals in life.

Oh and yes I do keep a rule book in my bag, thank you.
Crawdad

Postby SARG27044 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:26 pm

^^^^
So your trying to say..... what exactly? you werent there, and you have no idea of the events that took place. And nobody ever called anybody an asshole.
SARG27044

Postby 10up » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:57 pm

leave the guy alone, he just wanted to point out how much integrity he has.

you're an asshole Tyler... :roll:
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby shane » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:19 pm

PDGA Rule
A follow-through after a putt that causes the thrower to make any supporting point contact closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc constitutes a falling putt and is considered a stance violation. The player must demonstrate full control of balance before advancing toward the hole.

Where does it say that you can't put your other foot down? As long as you demonstrate full control of balance before advancing.
If this means one foot up and bending over to grab your mini, or one foot up pausing and then stepping, or one foot up then doing a cart wheel your fine as long as you demonstrate balance.
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby Buzzznation » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:56 am

Crawdad wrote:So let me take a whack at that horse.

I have only been playing for only a year now, however there is the right way and there is all the other ways I see people playing.

And I think my favorite answer is "But I have always done it this way and no one every said anything". Such a lame excuse for not correcting the way you play when you find out your are not following the rules. And who are these dork's that keep letting you play that way?

I am sure everyone who reads this could beat me in a round of golf. That is just fine with me, because we are playing with different goals in mind. I getting my butt out of this chair and walking around and having a good time.

However I am one of those "assholes" that will call you on everything, not trying to be mean or screw up your game. I just want to play by the same set of rules. I do want everyone to have fun, and if the people in my group can learn to play the right way even better. I play nov/rec and so a lot of the people I play with don't know the rules. All they know is what there PRO friends teach them. So all you ADVANCED players out there should be teaching your newbie friends the right way the first time.

And just because I finish DFL does not mean I am not having fun or accomplishing my goals in life.

Oh and yes I do keep a rule book in my bag, thank you.

Clue?
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Buzzznation » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:08 am

KVN wrote:I hope to get to DSM more and throw some more with you and Sarg, i'am sure you have alot of shots on every course to show us before the challenge this year.

KVN have you read through this thread? If you play a round of disc with GW, wether its in DSM, Cedar Rapids, Franklin, Bowling Green, or in your back yard, you will see shots that you have never seen. You will see more putts made than you thought possible (with out the foot fault). And you will almost want to give up disc golf.
Probably the only good that comes out of winter, other than our great state wide Ice Bowls, is that Mr. Weaver does not get out on the course much. I don't know if it's the cold weather, the XBox360, off season strength training and conditioning, or what. Either way Grant's seasonal absence gives me a chance to rekindle my confidence and enjoyment for this great game we call disc golf.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

PreviousNext

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club