The Only Other "Real" Hobby

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Postby Buzzznation » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:33 am

projectpuffindiscman wrote:

and to get back on the beer thread, the best beers in the world are made in belgium. thats what beer it supposed to taste like.

I couldn't have put it better myself.
Buzzznation

Postby grodney » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:33 am

My parents made the 1300 mile drive from Nebraska to Charlotte for Thanksgiving. As such, my wife made a special request for a contraband case of a certain beer we can't get here. Guesses?

Yep, Boulevard Wheat.

Huh? Well, yeah, it is pretty darn tasty and refreshing.

We're going to do a blind tasting to see if we can distinguish it from Sierra Nevada Wheat, or even Shiner Hefe, both of which we can get here.

By the way, I sent back a Saranac Winter 12-pack 12-variety sampler for my brother. The varieties included this year are especially delicious.
grodney

Postby Cydisc » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:57 am

grodney wrote:By the way, I sent back a Saranac Winter 12-pack 12-variety sampler for my brother. The varieties included this year are especially delicious.

Oooo. We'll probably have that sampler at the Hy-Vee. I'm checking that out tonight.
Cydisc

Postby 10up » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:23 pm

they had some the other day... Saranac? I think so anyway.

and Rodney?? C'mon man... Boulevard?! You've lost at least five points for that comment. I think Labatt's makes a better swill than that.

On another note, I had myself a bomber of the Bell's Two-Hearted Ale, and I've got to tell you, it was phenomenal. It had the aroma of piney amarillo hops which carried into the taste with an almost citric undertone. The alcohol at 6% is present, but not near enough to take away from the overall flavor. Overall, I have to say, maybe the best IPA I've had in my life. My ranking structure top 3 is now:

1. Two-Hearted - Bells
2. Alpha King - Three Floyds
3. 60min Ale - DogfishHead

I'm down to just two IPA's I really want to try and I'll put out a reward if I can receive either. Aaron, you may want to check around Dirty Johns for some of these.

I need Three Floyd's Dreadnaught IPA. It's a Double that is supposedly one of the best in the world. 9.5% by volume, and Stone IPA from Stone Brewery in Cali. It's more of an APA but it still counts.
10up

Postby grodney » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:43 pm

Dan, sorry to hear I've fallen in your estimation. In my opinion, the American Wheat style has its place, and in my opinion, Boulevard Wheat is a fine example of that style.

I'm sure you'll be disheartened to hear I've been calling around town trying to find some Woodpecker Cider (harkening back to days at the Dublin Underground on the IC Ped Mall). I've got a batch of cider in the keg, and I wanted to do a side-by-side blind tasting at volleyball tonight.

Boulevard
Cider
Volleyball

I hope we can still be friends.
grodney

Postby 10up » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:59 pm

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a good cider... it's not really a session drink, but I enjoy some of them greatly, as long as it isn't Strongbow. Best one I ever had was Bulmer's in Ireland... man, if they'd export that stuff it would sell faster than shit.

And you're right, wheats are not my favorite style. However, I do appreciate a good one every now and then. I just tried Bell's Oberon Ale which is a pretty good wheat. You should absolutely try Three Floyd's Gumballhead if you like wheats, it usually only comes in 22oz Bombers but it's a good call. My only problem with the Boulevard brew is that it is almost too citrusy which doesn't allow the natural flavor of the malts develop. It would be a great seasonal brew for a nice summer day, but as a year round wheat it pales in comparison to others I've had.

+3 for argument :wink:
10up

Postby The Donator » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:15 pm

10up wrote:Aaron, you may want to check around Dirty Johns for some of these.

Ill be coming back for christmas break in two weeks, so if you guys need anything from the Dirty, i can take orders. I can buy whatever and you can pay me back when I get into town.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby grodney » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:18 pm

Yeah man, I hear you. I haven't had many micro Wheats, other than at individual pubs, so I'm talking mass-produced stuff here. And when I say it has its place, I'm talking like a cooler full on the beach.

I've seen a couple Three Floyds styles in town. I'll keep an eye open.
grodney

Postby 10up » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:19 pm

if you can find that Dreadnaught I'd take 30 or so.
10up

Postby 10up » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:21 pm

Anybody ever had anything from Alesmith Brewing or Founders Brewing? I've heard nothing but good things about their beers, just haven't ever been able to find any of them.
10up

Postby irban » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:58 pm

Little afraid to try this. Spotted at Ingersoll W & S. Brings to mind the final line of Tom Waits song Emotional Weather Report ... "High tonight, low tommorrow".
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby grodney » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:06 pm

SkullSplitter was present at Charlotte Oktoberfest. My sis-in-law had some. I might have. I don't recall.
grodney

Postby 10up » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:45 pm

looks good, bring some by my place Brian, we'll get wasted.
10up

Postby Like_Water » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:56 pm

10up wrote: My only problem with the Boulevard brew is that it is almost too citrusy which doesn't allow the natural flavor of the malts develop. It would be a great seasonal brew for a nice summer day, but as a year round wheat it pales in comparison to others I've had.

You are one of the best at talking out yerass....Just say it...Boulevard wheat is a fairly poor excuse for a wheat beer. To bad too, it's freaking everywhere.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Bradbalk » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:59 pm

The best beer made in the US was just released, get if you can.

Goose Island Bourban County Stout - An 11% Imperial Stout aged for 100 days in Bourban Barrels. Very Expensive, but very worth it.

For the Hop Head also very hard to come by - Founders Devil Dancer Triple IP
A, very impressive stuff.
I'm also really impressed with the any of the Lagunitas beer if you can find that, especially the Brown Shugga and Censored Copper(aka Kronic Copper)
Bradbalk
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff