Music

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Postby irban » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:03 am

~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby O_D » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:04 pm

Anybody going to Cornmeal tomorrow night(thusday 29th) at the Mews? Haven't committed for sure, starts at 8:00, $10.
Calmer than you are.
O_D

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:12 pm

I had enough cornmeal to last me till next year's Ice Bowl last Friday night. :lol:
GDL17921

Postby Howie » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:37 pm

Damn lefties... still have like 30 of those corn meal muffins,... running out of uses....
Howie

Postby Buzzznation » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:31 am

O_D wrote:Anybody going to Cornmeal tomorrow night(thusday 29th) at the Mews? Haven't committed for sure, starts at 8:00, $10.

Wish I could be there. They put on a great show. I'll never forget the first time I saw them at Briarpatch back in '06 I believe. They did a tribut to Jerry Garcia. Sick show.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Music

Postby DLCdisc » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:04 pm

Having friends in high (or low) places pays off once in a while. I have two friends that are in Slipknot, so I caught the show for free last night. I would say I am not qualified to be called a maggot, but the show was very entertaining. Here are some stats:
1. There were a little over 6000 people there which brought the net # of piercings to 58,000. (Yikes)
2. $6.00 a beer eliminated any chance I had of being drunk for the show.
3. There were at least 50 people that had their shirts off that should NEVER have their shirt off in public.

If you are not a metal head in any way, you probably wouldn't have liked the show. Coheed and Cambria were good.

DLCdisc
DLCdisc

Re: Music

Postby Single L » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:55 pm

DLCdisc wrote:I have two friends that are in Slipknot, so I caught the show for free last night. I would say I am not qualified to be called a maggot, but the show was very entertaining.

Coheed and Cambria were good

I've been to a few Slipknot shows, when I really enjoyed them while in college, and would not consider myself a "Maggot". Many think that anyone who enjoys them is a "maggot", but after you go to a show you see what a true "maggot" is and why they are called that ...... not a good thing.

Coheed and Cambria great!!
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Like_Water » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:33 pm

I just cannot see the appeal of Coheed and Cambria. I know ALOT of people like them...but that guys voice drives me nuts. It's like a woman who's getting her testicles stepped on.

Slipknot in Des Moines would have been cool to see. Only 6000 people?
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

music

Postby DLCdisc » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:09 pm

Yeah,

I was a little surprised at the number considering it is their home show. I can say that I have been at shows with three times as many people that weren't as loud. 99% of that 6000 was makin some noise.

DLCdisc
DLCdisc

Postby rightcunnin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:47 am

$39.50 for a ticket ( I assume before service fees, taxes, etc). That would keep me away from most artists. F-in rediculous
I'm sorry that the middle of my sentence interrupted the beginning of yours.
rightcunnin

Location: further out of my f-in mind than previously thought.

Postby Buzzznation » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:08 pm

rightcunnin wrote:$39.50 for a ticket ( I assume before service fees, taxes, etc). That would keep me away from most artists. F-in rediculous

Ho about $65 for a New Kids on the Block ticket :lol:
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Lou Siffer » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:42 pm

Buzzznation wrote:
rightcunnin wrote:$39.50 for a ticket ( I assume before service fees, taxes, etc). That would keep me away from most artists. F-in rediculous

How about $185 for Eagles? :shock: :roll:
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby irban » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:02 pm

Lou Siffer wrote:
Buzzznation wrote:

Really. No wonder the big arena shows are dead.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Lou Siffer » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:20 pm

irban wrote:
Lou Siffer wrote:
Buzzznation wrote:

Really. No wonder the big arena shows are dead.
I'm sure that has something to do with it.

But my theory is that as time goes by, the types of music become splintered into so many sub-genres, that the market for any given genre simply doesn't have the fan base to fill an arena.

If a given type of music does become popular on a bigger scale, take jam bands for instance, there are so many copy cats that they saturate the market, and make it difficult for any one, or few bands to rise to the top.

Aside from putting together a tour, or show with several similar bands, there just aren't that many "super groups" out there anymore that have the pulling power, and broad demographic appeal to fill large venues.
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby O_D » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:17 pm

O_D wrote:Anybody going to Cornmeal tomorrow night(thusday 29th) at the Mews? Haven't committed for sure, starts at 8:00, $10.

These guys and girl, have gotten A LOT better since I saw them last. The second set was friggin great. Lots of psychodelic, STS9-esqu base lines, and driving I've never heard out of a "bluegrass" band. I think every song they played was fast. Lots up build up and release type jams.

Watch for them to make a bigger name for themselves. Oh by the way, I'd like to fiddle, with the fiddle-er....

Oh, and is there an abundance of shrooms out there or what? I swear half the people in the place were melting their faces off.
Calmer than you are.
O_D

PreviousNext

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club