2006 Leagues

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Postby shane » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:47 pm

Monday was voted out two years ago. Justa reminder. About the Des Moines league, This league is one of the largest leagues in the country. You must be doing something right. As far as traveling to other cities to play why is it the Des Moines league then. The reason you have problems at Pickard is because of their league. They should definately have priority over their own course when we go there. Newton has a league of about 40 regulars. If you take our league there you can expect half of them to show, not that they're not welcome but if your already having overflowing problems. As far as Ankeny goes it's a great 18 holer with a lot of rec players playing in the evening. They are also playing the regular set up which if 90 people show up Heritage would be packed.
If your worried about daylight plan accordingly start the first couple of weeks at your shorter courses and only use big creek early in the year for doubles and use the short pads there. People can deal with playing a hole in the dark at Ewing much easier then BC.
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby Like_Water » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:10 pm

JoeCool.....It's been stated that the Bushwacker league is the most fair league....Could this be used for the competative league, and the current DSM league stay as it is?
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Joe Cool » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:38 pm

The short answer is yes. I still think it’s time to split the current league though.

The Bushwhacker format excels at making things even so that any level of player can step in and expect to compete. As far as being competitive goes, over the years that I ran it I found that the level of competitiveness went way up as the skill level of the players increased. I attribute this to the fact that once you reach a certain level you have almost definitely started playing tournaments. Tournament players are inherently more competitive with everyone. The other thing that helps is if everyone knows each other. You will naturally want the head to head match ups with your friends. Those match ups get ultra competitive at times. Two of the founding (unwritten) rules are talking smack is essential and side bets are encouraged.
Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.
Joe Cool

Postby Like_Water » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:13 pm

The way I see it, the guys who are finishing at the top of league, will want to play this league rather then the other...of course, this is speculation....guys like Duden, ernie, freddy, shane, myself, whitson etc....would rather pop into the current league from time to time, but play the bushwacker league primarily. I think Shane could speculate better then I on this....just trying to get the ideas going.
Like_Water

Postby Joe Cool » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:23 pm

I agree. The Bushwhacker format runs much better when people care about being there. When you get a bunch of players who are new to the whole regular play thing it can create big problems with people not being there and/or not letting their partner know what’s going on. Subs can be had if someone or anyone knows that you need one. Especially near the end of the season when the league has had a chance to pickup a handful of subs and regular players can’t plan that far ahead.

Not to sell the Bushwhacker format or anything (hint hint) the monies are as follows.

$50 to get in and $1 a week for the ace fund if you wish to play. Subs pay $3.00 per week + $10 if they want to participate in Ace fund (+$1 per week) and bag tags.

Automatic ace fund if you are “In “ league, a case of beer of your choice (nothing crazy) on ice delivered to you the following week to do with as you please.

½ the monies (Cash) are for the 1st, 2nd , 3rd place teams, maybe 4th 5th etc. if there are a lot of teams.

The other ½ of the monies are for a BIG bring nothing but yourself and your significant other or friend PARTY! All other league expenditures will be taken out of this fund. Scorecards, bag tags, trophies, Ace beer, Other prizes like MVP, Best average, Most Improved, Stumbles award, (who likes to drink the most), Smokey award (figure that one out amongst yourselves) etc.
Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.
Joe Cool

Postby Abe Froman » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:30 am

Joe Cool wrote:Stumbles award, (who likes to drink the most), (figure that one out amongst yourselves) etc.
i believe it was the FITSHACED award
Abe Froman

2007 Humdinger Update

Postby discgolfduval » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:45 am

I'm a little late to this discussion but would add, the Humdinger is completely informal and should not hold anybody back from starting something on Wednesday nights. I will keep hosting this and as long as there is me and someone else, theres enough people to play the Dinger.
discgolfduval

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:55 am

Shuold there be two events run simultaneously throught league? This might help alleviate overcrowding - thought would be a headache for people to coordinate which locations would be used, etc, randomization of players between sites, etc...
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Joe Cool » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:38 am

What is the Humdinger? I will have a lot more info on what the leagues and formats will be in the next few weeks. Including a schedule.

I don’t want two leagues the same night in different places with 50 – 60 people at each. I want two leagues two different nights with a cap of 90 - 100 people at each. Then Shane’s in there somewhere.
Joe Cool

Postby discgolfduval » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:27 pm

Well it's already been explained but I never pass up on a chance to pimp the dinger when I can. It started several years ago as the Wednesday Night Mini. Anyone can play, it's 5 bucks and the top 1/3rd is paid 100 percent back of whatever is collected. There can be 2 divisions if necessary. The name has morphed into the Humdinger since 50 percent of the time it is played at the famous Heritage Park Disc Golf Course in Ankeny. It generally begins between 5:30 and 6 depending on the day light situation. Again though, like i mentioned earlier, league should take precedent over this. This is merely another option for people to play a cash game without having to throw extra money out there to an outside source, whatever that ends up being.
discgolfduval

League

Postby gvcc master » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:55 pm

Just alittle FYI................
I have been playing disc golf for maybe, 5 years or so, and traveled
to some very big tournies and seen a fair amount of pimps in my short disc golf career, but the Wed. night dealio, is a must have. You guys keep it going, just like your are....
The singles league should probably be on Tues. NO FREAKING HANDICAP
Doubles on Thurs. And there should be one change
1. Pro Division
2. A Amateur
3. B Inter.
4. C Rec.
5. D Women
Doing this keeps us all together, start going to tee pads at 6 p.m. not start talking at 6....
You have to seperate the pros and am, it seems the same guys are the getting the hardware each year, and seperating the woman from the C players gives the ladies a chance to bring home something, even though the division would be small, the best lady player would win.
As long as Chickfry, and A Daulton play pro or in the A division LOL
gvcc master

Postby actifed » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:13 am

Here's what League looks like in Des Moines this year.

Monday - Shane's handicap
Tuesday - Doubles League
Wednesday - Wednesday throwdown(?)
Thursday - Singles League

Tuesday will retain the traditional DM league spirit. We're going to continue with doubles all summer since it is by far the most popular format around here.
Thursday is going to be a new animal. I don't have all of the exact details on it yet, but it will be an all summer singles league. We will have Joe and Vic running one league each, and I can never remember which is which.
Monday and Wednesday I have no idea, but the club wants to promote competitive and fun play no matter who is running it. I love to tell people that starting this year, Des Moines has organized golf at least 5 days a week!

I would imagine Joe will post a LOT more information when he can. Anyone who wants to chime in on Monday and Wednesday go ahead.
actifed

Postby Like_Water » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:23 pm

Great news! Looking forward to this golf season...even if the girlfriend isn't. :lol:
Like_Water

Postby Buzzznation » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:21 pm

Discwrangler wrote:Great news! Looking forward to this golf season...even if the girlfriend isn't. :lol:

And little does she know what she is in for. I feel ya. I reccomend making a shedule for her so there isn't any surprises. That has saved me some turmoil :D
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:58 pm

ok, looks like I'll need to sign up for Thursdays...!
##39027
ghstinshll

Previous

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club