Greenwood

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Greenwood Park.....What to do?

Go ahead with the nine hole course
28%
Pull out, search for other course opportunities at another park
50%
Wait, keep trying to persuade the neighbors and environmentalists that the 18 hole setup will work, possibly with another design
22%

Total votes : 32

Greenwood

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:40 pm

The word on the street is that due to environmental concerns from groups, and neighbors not wanting dg too close to their homes, that the previously hoped for 18 hole course may be reduced to a nine hole course.

There has been some talk about using this as an opportunity to set a standard for environmentally friendly course design, although my take on that is, that the Japanese have already done it. And they require 150 class plastic to really put the cherry on the sundae of an environmentally sound course.

I also strongly agree with another of the board member's opinion that all the baskets from DMACC (2004 Worlds) should be kept together for use on an 18 hole course that we can all enjoy.

If people that have attachment to the land in Greenwood Park are opposed, they will never go away, and if a nine hole course goes in, I see problems like those that Southwoods faces. The "players" that give a crap about keeping the course beautiful and trash free won't be playing there that often just based on the single fact that it's only nine holes. Then, we have a trashed course, due to those that will be playing it, and then we will face even more opposition from those that take pride and have a sense of ownership to that park---the neighbors.

Man, Greenwood would've been a sweet course, shares my last name, :lol: seriously, though, it has some really nice terrain, woods, elevation, everything for a great course, and it's nice and centrally located in the Des Moines area. I think that there needs to be some active club involvement and opinions need to be voiced at upcoming meetings, as to where we should head with this project. There are very few that are participating in DSM club meetings and therefore making the decisions about it--within the club right now, and they have much time and energy expended into this project, making it a somewhat sensitive issue. I understand that. Let's get more involved, myself included, and help the club make a good decision here, everybody.

There is more on this topic on the old forum on the DSM site, but who knows when it will crash, and I do believe that the plan is to eventually shut it down.

Post your thoughts on this topic, please.
GDL17921

Postby Like_Water » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:38 pm

Did I miss something? I thought there were only a few concerned citizens, and we had already taken care of staying away from their houses. Am I missing something?
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:07 pm

yeah, check your e-mail, if you're still getting the club correspondance stuff. Let me know if you didn't get it, I can forward the info to you.
GDL17921

Postby irban » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:58 pm

Greenwood Park.....What to do?

Go ahead with the nine hole course 0% [0]

Pull out, search for other course opportunities at another park 100% [6]

Wait, keep trying to persuade the neighbors and environmentalists that the 18 hole setup will work, possibly with another design 0% [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 6

Looks like a mandate.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Clue » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:23 pm

There's one aspect to this that continues to be ignored. I thought Greenwood had allocated $5000 to the disc golf course. This would mean that 9 holes would be paid for by them. We would be out nothing.

I've been opposed to 18 holes from the start. I almost came around until 2 months ago when we had the option to break ground on 9 holes or send a letter to the neighborhood to get 18 approved. I thought this would be a disaster and it clearly has been. Now the previously assured 9 holes are in jeopardy as well.

I would certainly support getting 18 holes at another venue. I just don't believe it has to be in lieu of this project.
Clue

Postby shane » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:29 pm

Does the Des Moines disc golf club have to contribute money, baskets or labor for the nine holes. If not put it in. If we have to use our baskets why settle. Theres plenty of other options. In the mean time lets get Ewing baskets switched with those in storage.
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby Cydisc » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:24 pm

The Greenwood Park master plan includes a 9-hole course. Thate means the City would budget the money for 9 holes. Of course, who knows when that money would become available and how far they would go with amenities.
Cydisc

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:08 am

shane wrote: In the mean time lets get Ewing baskets switched with those in storage.

No secret here that I am in full support of that idea. :shock:
GDL17921

Postby Like_Water » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:12 am

we should let the city put in the 9 hole course...which will see a ton of play...if we do 2 teepads, we're fine.

Then, we should sell the baskets we have to the next city wishing to put in a course. Why do we have to foot the bill?
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Birdman » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:27 am

what about this kinda random idea...put in the nine hole cours...make it so that nine could be added....and when they realize (hopefully) how popular it is maybe the second set of nine could be added.....idk....overall i say pull out...des moines has plenty of good parks to use
The real excitement is playing the game.
Birdman

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:35 am

ya, I guess if Clue's thought on them footing the $5000 is indeed true, then go for it. I just don't think the club should allocate resouces (dollars) into a project that could end up like Margo.
GDL17921

Postby irban » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:10 pm

Discwrangler wrote:Then, we should sell the baskets we have to the next city wishing to put in a course. Why do we have to foot the bill?

While I agree it is best to get the courses paid for by the city or whoever, I don't know what else we would do with the money that would benefit as many people as a new course. Unless you use it for course maintenance or something.

I would argue that the best thing the Des Moines disc golf club has done with it's money is to put in new courses. In fact it is the only thing I am really interested in donating for anymore.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Buzzznation » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:45 pm

I say go ahead with the nine hole course if they are giving us money for it. I personally prefer to play 18 hole courses my self (which we have plenty of in the surrounding areas), however it is these local neghborhood courses that get people involved in disc golf. Southwoods is where I started to play, as have others that I know.
Buzzznation

Postby grodney » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:48 pm

irban wrote:I don't know what else we would do with the money that would benefit as many people as a new course.

Hold an A-Tier!!! Duh!
grodney

Postby irban » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:11 pm

I guess I can't complain as long as I get a sweet players pack. I need some more junk to put in my garage.
~~~- ¥
irban

Next

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club