2006 Leagues

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Postby irban » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:10 pm

Thanks for trying to get all of this together Joe. I am fine with what you have, as long as there are people willing to run all of the events.

I have a question about the scoring. What is the purpose of the 5 points for showing up at singles? Are you trying to solve a problem or scoring discrepency with this? I think it will work ok but I don't see what value it adds.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Single L » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:48 pm

cydisc11895 wrote:What is this "bushwhacker" league to which you refer?

I’m a current bushwhacker.
Short version

Two person teams, singles play, random draw partners before season
Each week teams play each other, #1 person on the opposing teams play each other and the #2 people play each other. (Rank based on handicap)
3 points available each week
1 for each player, and one for team point

Handicaps established first two weeks.
At the end of season Player with most individual points wins MVP, and the team with the most points wins and wins a but load of cash

League fees are handled before the season and during first four weeks

Joe can give you long version

The most fair league I have played in
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:58 pm

thanks porkchop.
GDL17921

Postby Like_Water » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:12 pm

Alright, I tried to hit the back button to quote Joe's schedule, but I didn't want to wait for it to load....so no quote.

Joe, the only problem I have is Monday and Friday. I hardly ever want to play on Monday's after a tournament, which is every week now, and I'm usually traveling or resting or both on Fridays.

I say keep Tuesday, let Ames and Indianola move theirs, if they wish.

I really don't care if the wednesday mini stays or goes. I had hopes for more players wanting to come out and feel up to the challenge, but it's been the same 4-8 people for 3 years.

I could see myself playing one league seriously, with the others being fillers for when I feel like it. Whether it's a Bushwackers league or a handicapped singles league...but I really can commit to more than one.

One thought I've had is that the Bushwacker league could entice some players who used to play league, but don't for whatever reason. however, it is somewhat limiting as far as maximum number of players go, right?

Currently, the DSM isn't appealing to some people, and giving them a viable option, and having them contribute to the club should be a priority rather then worrying about breaking up the "good time"...finding what your customer wants and coming through with a appealing offer is what we need to do. Worrying that we aren't shopping at the same store shouldn't be....does that make any sense?

If we split the numbers, and allow for two separate leagues to grow, we should see two full league nights instead of one insanely huge league night. And then, maybe once or twice a summer, finding a way to throw a dg party (like glow) and bring everyone together for fun and games. Again, we don't all have to be at the same league to be part of the club.

That's just my 3 cents.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Joe Cool » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:16 pm

Porkchop said it. There are some finer points but they’re irrelevant until you start playing. This method works well, is fair, and people really like it. Traditionally it has been an 18 week season but could be shortened some. Handicaps don’t really start to work until everyone using them has about 3-4 weeks in the books. A word on Handicapping, I have seen one person giving another 28 strokes. This was an accurate measure of there difference in skill. That was at 80% too. The better player in this scenario is really about 30 or 31 strokes average better.

The reason for the 5 points in singles is for attendance. The player who has 15 weeks of scores to use has an automatic 25 point advantage on anyone who only played 10 weeks.
Joe Cool

Postby Joe Cool » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:45 pm

I don't like Monday either, it was just a place to start. One important thing people need to know about Bushwhacker league is once you have a partner, someone, be it you or a sub needs to post a score. If you don't post a score you forfit that weeks point and your team point. This creates some very pissed off people when they have a flakey partner.
Joe Cool

Postby Abe Froman » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:03 pm

Joe Cool wrote: This creates some very pissed off people when they have a flakey partner.

i can vouch for that. 5 partners in 3 yrs. not counting subs. my partner this year was clutch tho.
Abe Froman

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:11 pm

I guess I have to tend to agree with Tanner on the Monday/Friday issue with just getting back from tournaments, or traveling to tournaments, respectively.

I also think that the Bushwacker league would be a great way to bring some people back, like he was also talking about.

I know I'm pushing hard for it (BW), Joe, and again, I will help you make it happen, if you want to give 'er a run.
GDL17921

Postby Buzzznation » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:29 pm

I agree with Tanner as well on not having the league nights on Mon. & Friday. I would like to see something casual on Friday's though. That would give me a valid reason to get out of the house and drink some beers. Maybe afterwards go to a bar or somebodies house and chill. That would give the community an opurtunity to participate in something that doesn't invovle disc golf. It would also help the companionship grow, in hope for the result of better establishing the Des Moines team for the Team Championships next year. :D
Buzzznation

Postby Like_Water » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:42 pm

On that note Steve....the more i think about it the more I like the idea of having an A-player's league, which we could move to Wednesday in place of the Humdinger. I know Angie has said she doesn't like this idea, but my goal is to raise the level of play among our top players, and our up and comers. This is the perfect way to do it, all while helping the club. And I would think the club would like this theme as well.

Anyone could come play I would imagine...but it's just a more serious competative league. Again, the idea of the two leagues merging or throwing down half way through with a party would help unify things.

On another note, why only one glow night? We should do this as our mid-way party.
Like_Water

Postby Joe Cool » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:54 pm

Monday sucks for lots of reasons, not just a bad night for a leagur. But Friday league is an excellent reason to go to the course for beer and then go to every bar you can get to before they stoping serving or serving you. HOORAY FOR BARS THAT DON'T CUT ME OFF!
Joe Cool

Postby Like_Water » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:58 pm

Ahhh...titties and beer....my favorite Zappa song title....wha...where am I? oh...

Ok, league....could we just call one league the casual league, and the other the competative league....or call one the "get wasted" league and the other the "get worked" league?
Like_Water

Postby Joe Cool » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:12 pm

Dibs on running the "get waisted" night.
Joe Cool

Postby Abe Froman » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:15 pm

Joe Cool wrote:Dibs on running the "get waisted" night.

somehow i knew that was coming
Abe Froman

Postby Single L » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:46 pm

I played a round with Stibs today and mentioned the transplant of a Bushwhacker league in Des Moines; he thought that was pretty cool.

He warned though that the Bushwhacker league is not for the casual player. Not saying that you have to be a pro, you can be someone just starting to learn the game, but you must be 100% dedicated to the sport.

Attendance is the vital link in the success of this style of league. If you like showing up when you want and paying your $5 this league is not for you.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

PreviousNext

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club