43%
forehand
4%
balanced
53%

Total votes : 49

Bias?

Postby Sidearm » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:21 pm

I throw mostly righthand sidearm shots & I've been telling myself for years that I need to rediscover my rhbh drives (which I threw exclusively the first 4 or 5 years I played -- the "creek hole" at Seneca Creek is where my transformation to sidearm began). Undoubtedly, it's important to be able to throw both backhand & sidearm shots when situations call for one or the other.

However, the poll reveals a bias that I have felt for years. Although the majority believe, like I, that it's best to be balanced, 17 voted for backhand vs. 2 for sidearm. Why such a big difference? I believe sidearm players, like myself, are often viewed to be lacking something in our game more often that those who exclusively throw backhand shots. Although I don't put in enough practice to be anything other than a lifetime jayvee player, I believe there will be more & more players with ratings over 1000 who throw sidearm almost exclusively.

Again, I'm not arguing that more people should always throw sidearm off the tee. I'm simply suggesting that it's no better or worse than those who always throw a backhand shot off the tee. So don't pity us -- learn from us! 8)
Sidearm

Postby AO » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:51 pm

MDR_3000 wrote:learn both, it makes the game that much easier.

The ones you don't see throwing both in tournaments are usually the ones crying about how the course it "too lefty/righty friendly". When you can throw both it's advantage you.

one last thing...a forehand hyzer and a backhand turnover/anhyser shot have two different flight patterns.

This is exactly how I feel. Although I would like to be able to throw my sidearm over 350. My sidearm is only accurate <320. I would also like to trust a hyzer flip side arm. Probably something I should practice.
AO

Re: Bias?

Postby SARG27044 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:44 am

Sidearm wrote:I throw mostly righthand sidearm shots & I've been telling myself for years that I need to rediscover my rhbh drives (which I threw exclusively the first 4 or 5 years I played -- the "creek hole" at Seneca Creek is where my transformation to sidearm began). Undoubtedly, it's important to be able to throw both backhand & sidearm shots when situations call for one or the other.

However, the poll reveals a bias that I have felt for years. Although the majority believe, like I, that it's best to be balanced, 17 voted for backhand vs. 2 for sidearm. Why such a big difference? I believe sidearm players, like myself, are often viewed to be lacking something in our game more often that those who exclusively throw backhand shots. Although I don't put in enough practice to be anything other than a lifetime jayvee player, I believe there will be more & more players with ratings over 1000 who throw sidearm almost exclusively.

Again, I'm not arguing that more people should always throw sidearm off the tee. I'm simply suggesting that it's no better or worse than those who always throw a backhand shot off the tee. So don't pity us -- learn from us! 8)
U have the most consistent sidearm shot i have ever seen. if u added a little D you'd be a force to reckon with. teach me your ways!
SARG27044

Postby IHearChains » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:24 am

AO wrote:
IHearChains wrote:
irban wrote:Nothing prettier than a long anhyzer though. JMO

IMO a long anhyzer is equally pretty when thrown forehand!

IMO this is one of the hardest shots to execute. If your right handed and throw back hand, I would think the hyzer would be the safest and best decision.

I agree its hard... but for me that FH anhyzer has a specialty purpose. I attempt it when the end of the flight needs to be straight.

Such as a situation on a fairway with an early dogleg left, and then a straight second fairway (like the 2nd shot on Westlake #18 for those of us that can't reach the corner off the tee). There I need the disc to precisely hit that early dogleg line, then straighten out and carry down the second fairway after getting around the corner. With my limited ability I have to lay up the RHBH hyzer or else it just keeps hyzering and fades left all the way off the second fairway. Whereas my FH anhyzer might naturally straighten and glide a way down the second fairway (on a good day).
IHearChains

Postby ghstinshll » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:24 am

AO wrote:This is exactly how I feel. Although I would like to be able to throw my sidearm over 350. My sidearm is only accurate <320. I would also like to trust a hyzer flip side arm. Probably something I should practice.

I had been throwing only overstable plastic sidearm, but yeah - go play aroudn w/ an old Surge or a Flash on a sidearm throw.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby masterbeato » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:19 pm

i throw sidearm on very short shots. i cannot throw a FH past 200' (200' being max or farthest) and it is very inaccurate. i just do not know how to throw it. i have been to the fields and practiced like no other and nothing.

i watched videos on how to do it but i just can't do it, i need someone there to tell me how to do it and break it down piece by piece.
masterbeato

Postby Steady 26542 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:37 pm

Mark Ellis' video has done wonders for me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOECjLjh ... r_embedded

I used to get maybe 225' out of my sidearms but after watching this video and working on it I can get close to 300'. I can easily get an accurate 250' which is all I feel I really need.
Team Iron Lion
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
"Frisbees are a hobby; disc golf is a sport."
Steady 26542

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:12 pm

exactly... If you can consistently push it out to 250 & count on that to get you in the circle - you're doing good. 8)
##39027
ghstinshll

Previous

Return to Throwing Technique