Jump Putting

The most important skill in the game, learn it here

Postby claya » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:48 pm

Steve Rico is exactly who I would watch on video when I was learning. That's basically where I got the step through from on my long putts. I make quite a few longer ones so it seems to work pretty well for me.
claya

Postby ghstinshll » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:25 pm

any youtube links, claya?
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby claya » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:06 pm

Check here for some good videos: http://www.debney.org/bhmo03/
claya

Postby ghstinshll » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:34 pm

Ok, so when I'm within 150', I'm money on my upshots now... Outside fo that, I'm honing my skills w/ my skeeter/Roc/Buzz combo.

I've decided that anything outside the circle (is is 30, or 40'?) I'm going to start trying to learn to jump putt, instead of putting for the layup.

How I putt. I like the Barry style of putting for most putts. I tend to straddle putt... Get low to the ground, push up w/ my hips, and lift gently -releasing high & right & letting the disc work it's way into the basket. This last month it's really been helping my putting...

I've been trying to jump putt a bit, and have eben playing aroudn with a jump variation of my normal putt, and possibly opening my stance up for a back to front transfer of energy as I l0ft-putt the same lift as my normal putt.

Pretty much ALL of my jump attempts have been landing within 3' of the basket - but none have gone in. I'm patient, and feel like this is the right approach, but I wanted to ask out there for advice on technique... I feel like I need to video myself or something & send it into Blake @ DGR - would this be a good idea?

Other tips appreciated... :lol:
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Furthur » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:03 pm

I'm going to imagine that if you're within 3 feet with your jumps, then you're counting on the fade to bring it into the basket at the end. You may want to run at it a bit harder, where if you miss, you'll be in the 10-15 ft range for missing. Somewhere on the DGR forums I saw Blake say that at 40-50 feet, a good run at the basket should be 10-15 ft past if you miss it. Now if you're working with a tricky green, then you probably want to have it slightly fade out at the end and into the basket, but if it's flat, and there's no problems behind, then run at it a little harder.
Furthur

Postby ghstinshll » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:41 pm

You're right. I'm lofting it up a little more, slightly more spin, and they're dropping right @ the basket...

THANKS!
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby ghstinshll » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:42 pm

Now I'll have to watch "Cale's Putt" 1000 more times!
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Furthur » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:05 pm

ghstinshll wrote:Now I'll have to watch "Cale's Putt" 1000 more times!

I was going to mention "Cale's Putt." Note how relatively flat it is when it hits the basket. Now, I wouldn't run at an 80 footer that hard, but it does give you an idea of what the flight pattern should look like for those "shorter" jump putts.

There's nothing wrong with the disc dropping into the basket, but if you're normal putt only has an up/down drop without losing too much speed before hit his the basket, then perhaps your jump putt should look the same.
Furthur

Postby ghstinshll » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:08 pm

Furthur wrote:There's nothing wrong with the disc dropping into the basket, but if you're normal putt only has an up/down drop without losing too much speed before hit his the basket, then perhaps your jump putt should look the same.

I'll work on both approaches, and see what works best in the lon run...

THanks again.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby OU812_LukeS » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:36 pm

ghstinshll wrote:How I putt. I like the Barry style of putting for most putts. I tend to straddle putt... Get low to the ground, push up w/ my hips, and lift gently -releasing high & right & letting the disc work it's way into the basket. This last month it's really been helping my putting...

I agree, for jump putting. I putt staggered stance most of the time but for jump putts I try to get that Barry stance going on, it feels like he has a fairly simple but powerful putting motion and it feels like it helps simplify 50'-75' putts. The simpler the routine feels, the easier it is to reproduce and work out kinks, and dial in.

Now if only I could drive.
"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
OU812_LukeS

Postby SARG27044 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:41 am

whatever u do dont force the jump putt just let the disc work ive been hitting a lot this year by not forcing it like i have done in the past
SARG27044

Postby KePP » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:58 am

SARG84 wrote:whatever u do dont force the jump putt

That sounds like my problem lately with jump putting
KePP

Postby ghstinshll » Wed May 14, 2008 3:57 pm

THere's that fine line between forcing, and letting it fade... I found it last night, and hit 4 deuces all because of a jump putt. I notice (lately, could change) that when I straddle putt, reach low like KC does, then flip it low, I seem to be more accurate. That way I keep it los, instead of my hips pushing the disc over the basket because I rose too far...

I tried one more after league that went in

Who knows if I'll get to practice again this week, but thuoght I'd share that one little comment I picked up on.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby AO » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:08 pm

So Ghost, how did your jump putt come along this season?
AO

Postby ghstinshll » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:21 pm

Digging up old stuff? Pretty decent, AO. I don't tend to practice them in warm-ups, so it takes a couple before I'm nailing them, but I think I found what worked for me.

In summary, I am running them harder & straighter @ the basket, and keeping that "keep it low" mentality so I'm not blowing by if I miss.

Overall last season though - my putting got better the more I played/practiced, not necessarily just because I nailed a few jump putts here & there. It's a fun technique to try and practice, and my use of it has been moved further out from the circle because my putting's become more confident.
##39027
ghstinshll

PreviousNext

Return to Putting Technique